Everyone on Head-Fi can't be wrong, can they? Dissapointed with Grado SR-225's..
Jun 23, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #16 of 64
I too didnt like the SR225, but I also dislike the QC2 a lot haha..

It sounds like you are just looking for a headphone with an all around more exciting sound, give the SR325i(s) a shot. It is a totally different headphone.

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #17 of 64
When you EQ to try and find a *better* sound, do you find yourself increasing the bass frequencies to get closer to what you like? My guess is that you've trained your ears to a particular sound and the 225s aren't filling that need.

I had a quasi-similar experience with my first "high-end" headphone... the SR125. Obviously not a real high-end can, but one that is supposed to preform much better than say the Bose Triport OE (cans that I had demoed at Target several times). I was completely unimpressed at first. I told myself that I liked them, and there were lot's of things that I DID like about them, but one of the first tracks I listened to was "Dead Bodies Everywhere" by Korn because I thought I'd hear an earth-shattering amount of bass... it wasn't there.

But then I actually listened to them for a while and realized something.. I could actually HEAR the bass! It wasn't in your face, but it was clean, pristine. There was no bloat, the notes where distinct, I could see the bass player actually playing an instrument as opposed to a sheer wall of sound that had no definition. Now, the 125 is a bass light phone, and can be tiring with it's top end harshness, but I found that I really appreciated them after a few months listening, and no speakers - including those in my car that can rattle the mirrors with their bass - could replicate the joy I got from those headphones... obviously I don't have a quality speaker rig to listen too... much to expensive for me, but the point remains. I realized that bass needs to be in balance with the rest of the sound, and also needs to be clean and controlled in order for the music to really sound good!

Now, you might not ever feel that way, and prefer a punchier bass that (IMO) drowns out a bit of the rest of the sound spectrum, and that's perfectly OKAY, but you should take the time to really think about what you want out of a phone. If the QC2s give you that, then by all means stick with them! If not, then try some other cans (already mentioned above) and find what you are really looking for in a system.

BTW, I second the notion of trying another source. Most computer sources are blah, particularly if the sound card is an integrated solution to the motherboard. An amp will help, but there won't be dramatic improvement with a neutral amp. Some amps out there are far from neutral, and might do the trick in warming up your 225s to your taste... but I'd avoid that unless you are willing to spend a lot of money and time in the FS forums and comparing amps. Finding a headphone with your sound sig and then going with a neutral amp that improves that sig is probably the cheaper way to go.

As a last bet, and it will certainly be unpopular to most people on this forum, go to bestbuy and demo Beats by Dr. Dre. Not a good can, for me, especially at the price, but certainly they have the bass punch that you might like, plus some of the isolation that the Bose offers. I don't think the Beats offers as good isolation, but I think they have better sound quality. You might find some used for cheaper, or if you really like the sound, just buy them! They'll make you happy, and really that's what this should be about.

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

It sounds like you are just looking for a headphone with an all around more exciting sound, give the SR325i(s) a shot. It is a totally different headphone.

Hell no! It still has that Grados very spiky and treble oriented sound, actually even worse than SR225 despite SR325s slightly stronger and more extended bass. Treble is still the dominating feature to the point that SR325 sounds bit metallic at the times.

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #19 of 64
Rule of thumb around here is NEVER buy grados befre trying them.
They have a anuique sound signature. I'm not too sure if the 225 really need amping, but using the headphone out on a pc is nearly always a crappy source.
Most headphones that cost over 100$ sound better amped.
My advice is if you soundcard is decent uninstall the drivers, get the kx ones, plug the headphones in a line out. I dislike itunes so i'd also say get foobar2000, doesnt really improve the sq but yu pc will run smoother.
I just got myself some hd25 (used to have htx7) at first I regretted my purchase.
But after a week of using the 25's I realized that the reason I like the htx7 so much was that they were overly aggressive wherehas the 25 were much more balanced.

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #20 of 64
And OP, you would do well if you would scratch that crappy onboard soundcard at some point and get a proper soundcard that actually has a proper DAC circuit and better amplifier built-in. Auzentechs offerings are quite good sounding, and have a decent gaming feature support on cheaper cards like basic EAX, equal to onboards that is. If you are willing to spend more cash, Auzentech's X-Fi Prelude is modded version of Creative X-Fi Elite Pro. (and therefore same features obviously. This is of course important only if you are a gamer. There are cheaper studio-type soundcards that offer equal or even better soundquality if you are not a one)

Source upgrade is worth every penny, onboards simply cannot do the justice for any above average headphone, let alone a headphone of SR225 and HD600 grade. Just a slight recommendation. Headphone and source quality first, amplifier second.

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #21 of 64
(triple post).

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My setup is just plugging my sr225s into my headphone jack on my computer...

It could be the headphone out of your soundcard. Maybe it has undersized buffer capacitors, hence low-impedance headphones (such as the SR-225 with its 32 ohm) would suffer from an early bass drop-off.

I'm not a Grado fan myself, so it could also be that you don't like the SR-225's sonic balance. But if I were you I would try it on a different source/amp before returning or selling it.

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #23 of 64
(double post)

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #24 of 64
I want to share my experience as well. When I first bought my first cans in audiophile jungle, igrado, it had some wow factor to me, yet I still remember how it feels right now. Then I eventually get some serious illness, which I guest all the gentlemen around here also have it. The upgraditis syndroms >
smily_headphones1.gif
. I tried sr80 which supposed to be superior than his little brother, igrado. But I am not impressed at all, not anywhere close with the impression on my first cans igrado. then I realized, there are a lot great audio gear with different characters. Grado line which tends to thin bass, forward, and narrow soundstage are not my cup of tea. Then I shifted to yuin (PK1) which has some presents bass , more soundstage, laid back sound (compare to grado), definitely has different taste. After that I went to D2000 plus an hybrid amp which has more quantities bass and still sweet midrange and good imaging.
I never regrets my journey although eventually it stopped somewhere, I am having fun with my cans right now. I am sure there will some audio gear out there that will suit your preference to enjoy music more. Read more and try more (not buy more
tongue.gif
)
hope it's help, sory for my english
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #25 of 64
I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet, but what sort of files are you listening to out of iTunes; AAC, Apple Lossless, MP3. If not lossless, what bit rate?

I very often listen to 225's straight out of my MacBook & think they sound great, but all of my music is at least 320kbps. I used to have several 128kbps files laying around & those did sound terrible using the same setup.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #26 of 64
headphones with bloated bass tend to be more forgiving towards low bitrate mp3s than neutral or bright headphones.

Bass isn't quite as affected by low bitrates, and if your cans are boomy, these can cover up the fact that the high frequencies are badly affected by the low bitrate.

128kbps mp3s drive me crazy on my k701, I've gotten rid of all of them.

Take a look at http://www.fliptech.net/bitrate.shtml, low mp3 bitrate kills the high frequencies.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #29 of 64
When I read the initial post, my first thought was that the OP was hearing a more balanced (or at least less bassy) presentation for the first time. But considering the amount of time the OP has spent with the 225s, I will agree with the other posters who conclude that the Grado sound may not be the OPs cup of oolong.

Another poster inquired into the bit rate of the OPs files, which is relevant - FWIW, I find my 325s to be pretty unforgiving when it comes to bad recordings. The Bose may have smoothed some of the rough edges that the Grados reveal.

P.S. "Everybody" on head-fi can definitely be wrong. The bulk of the conversation here concerns individuals' subjective impressions of recorded sound. Added to that shaky foundation is the usual jealousy, backbiting, shilling and fanboyism that you find on every internet forum.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #30 of 64
I'd bet anyone coming from a aiwa midi to a proper hi-fi will say "where's the bass gone?" But so used to aiwa boosting 60hz and bass by +20dB you think this is normal and how it should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back