Everyone on Head-Fi can't be wrong, can they? Dissapointed with Grado SR-225's..
Jun 24, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #61 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, no one mentions flat pads so far. Pure fail.

Try flat pads from TTJV. There will be massive bass improvement and high will be toned down a lot.

Ray Samuel's once recommended buying flats for "all" Grado's too me when I was buying my Predator from him. He recommended cheap 5 dollar ones he bought from Radio Shack. He was using them on RS1's I believe when he gave me a listen to my new amp.

Personally I mostly like the bass present on both by SR125's and SR225's so I haven't done the change yet. Probably just my ears....

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #62 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's OK, you don't have to understand. I think John G himself uses bowls, so whatever. I can only say that the muddiness imo disappears with really good upstream stuff: a superb DAC and well-matched amp. The amp especially is key, because despite being easy to drive, Grados are also easy to drive incorrectly. I think low output impedances and tons of current are key.

Flat pads were used by all Grados but at some point John decided to upgrade to bowl pads, and I presume those Grados also were tuned to use the new pads even though John says otherwise. If they are tuned by ear then obviously they will have a different tune depending what pads are used.

And if you didnt notice, I do have Stello HP100 as amplifier. Very powerfull discrete amplifier for low impedance headphones, comptetes in Headamp GS-1 category, very transparent and neutral. Keces DAC isnt really high end, but surprisingly good and very versatile depending what opamps are used.

My findings are that with modern Grados atleast, flat pads boost up the bass way too much, for my ears anyway. The very first Grado SR225 I owned (and first higher end headphone mind you) came with both bowls and flats and I disliked the flat ones starting from day 1. I still own pair of them and from time to time and try to get used to their sound and try to find out why some people prefer flats, but no. Something is wrong if the bass gets boosted to almost DT770 and Ultrasone levels. Thats too bad cuz I like the treble characteristics with flats.

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #63 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flat pads were used by all Grados but at some point John decided to upgrade to bowl pads, and I presume those Grados also were tuned to use the new pads even though John says otherwise. If they are tuned by ear then obviously they will have a different tune depending what pads are used.

And if you didnt notice, I do have Stello HP100 as amplifier. Very powerfull discrete amplifier for low impedance headphones, comptetes in Headamp GS-1 category, very transparent and neutral. Keces DAC isnt really high end, but surprisingly good and very versatile depending what opamps are used.

My findings are that with modern Grados atleast, flat pads boost up the bass way too much, for my ears anyway. The very first Grado SR225 I owned (and first higher end headphone mind you) came with both bowls and flats and I disliked the flat ones starting from day 1. I still own pair of them and from time to time and try to get used to their sound and try to find out why some people prefer flats, but no. Something is wrong if the bass gets boosted to almost DT770 and Ultrasone levels. Thats too bad cuz I like the treble characteristics with flats.

I noticed, but I don't know the Stello's rep. Anyways, even on a beastly balanced M3 from a Buffalo DAC, I felt Grado flats were a bit muddy. From the Balancing Act and Craig's custom DAC, though, everything cleaned up nicely. The bass quantity stayed about the same, though; it sounded similar but better.

Of course, I prefer flats from any equipment, so it's probably the same for you and bowls.
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #64 of 64
Yes, it's widely suspected that Grados have changed over time, due to changes in taste and consequently, changes in pads used.

Flats and bowls are like any musical instrument... they're a compromise. The bowls have better but more strident treble, better soundstage. The flats sacrifice some of that for really beefed up bass and just an overall much more visceral sound. I prefer what the flats do to my HF-1's. They do have admittedly better imaging and soundstage with the bowls, but the bass with the flats will really put a smile on your face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back