Everyone on Head-Fi can't be wrong, can they? Dissapointed with Grado SR-225's..
Jun 23, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #31 of 64
the fact of the matter is that preference is the biggest determinant of perceived quality. if you prefer the sound of the QC2, it will be nearly impossible for you to find a improvement along the "audiophile" route, as the QC2 and the world of high end headphones have significantly different goals. the QC2 aims to provide entertaining sound, which will make other headphones sound lean, shrill, and lacking in impact. i'd say if you like the sound of hte QC2, just stick with it

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #32 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're probably just used to bloated bass, and used to hearing no high frequency. Kinda the opposite of the typical Bose joke. Also a decent DAP may be in fact better than a PC, due to kmixer and lousy onboard soundcards.

As always...
44266966_unsuccessful_troll.jpg

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #33 of 64
Yes you are. What I said isn't trollish behaviour. If someone is used to a brand that boosts bass, then you think that's what it should be like. It's like using low end subwoofers and hearing the bass, then using a high end model, not hearing anything so you assume it's lacking. For example if you have PEQ with presets, you could boost 40-60hz up, and increase gain by 10dB, and boy racer crowd would think it's awesome. On another preset it's virtually flat and at calibrated level, and they won't like it.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #34 of 64
i have similar experence w/ the senn 280, good review but didn't like it.
got the grado 125, love it right away....

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #35 of 64
My guess is:
1. You're used to the Bose sound, and
2. The Grados are revealing weak links in your chain (e.g., files, sources).

When my friends first listened to my old D1001, they were like, "What the heck happened? It sounds terrible!" Turns out they were listening to a crappy file of a crappy recording, and the headphones they were used too just weren't picking up the detail. With better files, they saw the light. Three of them have bought one since.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like this thread title. I'd estimate that well over 90% of Head-Fiers don't know much about audio at all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Depends on what you mean by "Head-Fier" and what you mean by "audio". Most of us know nothing about the technical aspects of audio recording and reproduction, but that's something of a red herring. The regulars generally have plenty of experience with different headphones and setups, which puts them in a position to provide useful (though not infallible) advice.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #36 of 64
I love my SR-80's, but only when used with an amped source. To me my Grados sound bland when coming out of my Ipod/soundcard. Once I plug them into an amped source I really really enjoy them. Not saying to the OP that is what he is experiencing, but he should give them another listen to on a good amped source. If after that he is still disappointed then the problem lies with the unique Grado sound just not to his liking.
my two cents.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my 225is for about 2 weeks and I love them.

I found them change in sound in that time, from being kind of detailed but quite bright/shrill, to then being totally woolly and muddy, then on the way back to warm and lovely - it's weird! But I presume yours a burnt-in by now, so if there's something to try, it's to try a higher quality source (including your playback software and source files - I don't like Itunes!!!!)

I have noticed the same patter on my new 125s over the past three weeks. The brightness has died down, bass is boosted and now it seems very balanced. I've been breaking them by playing my iPod often.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #39 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes you are. What I said isn't trollish behaviour. If someone is used to a brand that boosts bass, then you think that's what it should be like. It's like using low end subwoofers and hearing the bass, then using a high end model, not hearing anything so you assume it's lacking. For example if you have PEQ with presets, you could boost 40-60hz up, and increase gain by 10dB, and boy racer crowd would think it's awesome. On another preset it's virtually flat and at calibrated level, and they won't like it.

When I first got my DT880 '05s I thought they sounded overly bassy and a little fat. After using them for a while, I found my DT770s to sound harsh, bass-lacking and thin.

I totally agree with you, people become accustomed to certain sound signatures, however, he has said that he has been using the 225s for three weeks, which should be sufficient time to adjust.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #40 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could be the headphone out of your soundcard. Maybe it has undersized buffer capacitors, hence low-impedance headphones (such as the SR-225 with its 32 ohm) would suffer from an early bass drop-off.
[/COLOR]

This might be a real issue. The QC2s have an impedance of 350 ohms, vs 32 for the grados. That could be a major difference in LF response.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #41 of 64
Wow, no one mentions flat pads so far. Pure fail.

Try flat pads from TTJV. There will be massive bass improvement and high will be toned down a lot.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #42 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushNerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As always...
44266966_unsuccessful_troll.jpg

How is that a troll? The bose do have over-emphasized bass and the sheer diference in the sound might be the problem.

Anyway, to the OP, I don't know much about different pads but I do know my MS1s with comfies have plenty of bass. If pads don't work then I'll trade you my Q40s for your SR-225s. The Q40s have plenty of bass.
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #43 of 64
I'll trade an ES7 for those, has plenty of bass too, and actually looks good
tongue.gif

but seriously, if there is no problem with file quality (is there?) you probably just don't get the Grado sound. No problem, you may prefer the Sennheisers for a more smooth bassy sound.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #44 of 64
Sounds to me the phones are not the problem and you would have been disappointed with any other higher fidelity cans.
My guess is you have gotten so used to that unnatural sound, that higher fidelity just sounds boring..
However if i was you i wouldn't throw the towel in just yet, but give those grados some time and then compare the two.
I would also advice not buying other cans/source/amp with high hopes of improvement, not yet atleast
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll trade an ES7 for those, has plenty of bass too, and actually looks good
tongue.gif

but seriously, if there is no problem with file quality (is there?) you probably just don't get the Grado sound. No problem, you may prefer the Sennheisers for a more smooth bassy sound.

Hey, Q40s are sexy, not shiny!

I'll trade you my Q40s for your ES7s. :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back