Every detail matters: Introducing the all-new IE 900
May 10, 2021 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 150

Hello Head-Fi!​

We’re thrilled to announce an all-new earphone for reference-level listening when every detail matters: the IE 900. Made in Germany and milled from a single block of aluminum, each earpiece houses a sophisticated multi-stage acoustic system that pushes our wide band dynamic transducer technology into new realms of real-world performance. With striking clarity and liquid-smooth response throughout the frequency spectrum, the IE 900 offers a remarkably cohesive sound eager to please the modern audiophile.

ie_900_product_shot_final_04.jpg

Every Detail Matters​

The IE 900 was built without compromise for a transcendent listening experience. Crafted from a single block of aluminum, each earpiece was designed to house the X3R transducer system—a combination of our 7mm TrueResponse extra wideband transducer and a triple-chamber frequency absorber. Together, they reveal the kind of surreal details that satisfy the most demanding listener, packaged in an anodized housing worthy of the high-performance acoustical system within.

IE 900 features:​

• Striking clarity across the entire frequency range with the cohesive presence of a full-size headphone, in a compact in-ear format
  • TrueResponse 7mm dynamic transducer for extra wideband performance with utmost phase integrity and ultra-low distortion
  • Triple-chamber frequency absorber removes masking energy spikes from frequency clusters to reveal layer after layer of detail
  • Acoustic vortex in each exit nozzle randomizes soundwave reflections for extended, fatigue-free listening sessions and a pleasingly natural sound stage
  • Unique back-volume manages air flow behind the transducer for sublime low-frequency performance
  • Each earpiece is milled from a single block of aluminum using a 5-axis CNC process to achieve the necessary tolerances required for the advanced acoustical system
  • Anodized aluminum fuses long-term durability with an aesthetic unique to each unit produced
  • Assembled by hand at Sennheiser’s German headquarters, even using specialized cameras to aid in component placement
  • Sealed, noise-isolating fit with 3 sizes each of silicone and viscoelastic memory foam adapters (S/M/L)
  • Ships with three cables: single-ended cable with 3.5mm plug termination, balanced cable with 4.4mm pentaconn plug termination, and balanced cable with 2.5mm termination
  • Cables are para-aramid reinforced with Fidelity+ MMCX connectors
  • Recessed cable sockets for improved strain relief and long-term durability
  • Adjustable ear hooks for a secure, comfortable fit
  • 5 Hz - 48,000 Hz frequency response
  • Efficient 16 Ω impedance for use with a wide range of audio sources
  • Remarkable clarity at both SPL extremes with <0.05% THD (1 kHz, 94 dB)
  • Up to 123 dB SPL sensitivity (@1 kHz / 1 Vrms)
  • Protective, serialized rigid travel zip case, microfiber cloth, cable clip and cleaning tool included
20201102_Sennheiser_01_1302.jpg

Watch the “Making of…" video

We invite you to watch the Making Of video, giving you a closer look into the process of developing the IE 900.

Air to the Throne​

The IE 900’s remarkable clarity comes from a harmony of systems at work to unlock the masterpieces buried within every track, every time. Our single, high-performance dynamic driver avoids the sonic obstacles introduced by multi-driver arrays such as phase incoherence and distortion from overlapping frequency bands. Each earpiece houses a unique Triple Chamber Absorber (an update to the patented dual-chamber absorber that debuted in the IE 800) which pinpoints and tames resonance peaks that mask a recording’s unique textures. This frequency smoothing brings the listener ever closer to a perfect sound experience—the reproduction of an entire moment captured through sound and nothing more.

A miniature back volume is used to manage the direction and overall volume of air behind the transducer for a dramatic increase in low-frequency intelligibility. To further prevent the unwanted buildup of acoustical energy, the IE 900 scatters soundwaves using an acoustic vortex milled into the nozzle. The results are a natural, fatigue-free sound without sacrificing the detail uncovered earlier in the chain.

See the Triple Chamber Absorber in action on our web page​

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/ie-900

The Acoustic Vortex​

Sennheiser IE 900 Acoustic Vortex.gif

Precision x Integrity​

From start to finish, the IE 900 is crafted with industry-leading integrity at our world-class production facility in Germany. Aluminum and the five-axis CNC milling process present the capability to achieve granular precision and long-term beauty while incorporating the aforementioned acoustic treatments. Each transducer is exhaustively mated to its stereo companion in a process that virtually eliminates unit-to-unit variances. During assembly, hand-select components are even monitored with specialized cameras to ensure their placement is nothing short of perfect.

ie_900_product_shot_final_exploded_02B.jpg

It’s All About Connection​

Included with every IE 900 are three para-aramid reinforced cables: a single-ended cable with a 3.5mm plug termination, as well as a balanced cable with a 2.5mm plug and a balanced cable with a 4.4mm Pentaconn plug. The IE 900 uses gold-plated Fidelity+ MMCX connectors that provide utmost contact integrity. Each housing-side receptacle is seated within a recessed, 4.8mm-wide socket to provide wearers with robust strain relief. Three sizes of silicone and viscoelastic eartips ensure a comfortable coupling for optimum bass response and environmental isolation. A microfiber cleaning cloth, debris cleaning tool and clothing clip stash away in the serialized, zippered storage case so you can take the IE 900 on all of your travels.

See the IE 900 from every angle​

ie_900_product_shot_overview_final_03.jpg

This new earphone will be available in Europe, North America, China and Japan starting in early June. The IE 900 will be available in most other markets including Dubai, Russia, South America, and select Asia-Pacific markets in early July. Pre-orders in Europe, Africa, North America and the Middle East are open today. We will provide further updates as soon as possible, right here. For more information, visit sennheiser.com or contact your local Sennheiser dealer. Pricing and Preorder button will be added Tuesday, May 11. We can’t wait for you to hear it.

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 10, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 150
US retail?

May 10, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 150
Hey everyone!
I'm borrowing an IE 900, and I'll be here for the next several hours tonight to try and answer questions!
US retail?
It will be MSRP $1299.95 USD plus tax. Pricing and Preorder button will be added tomorrow morning German time.

By the way @jwbrent!! I need to expand my Trip Hop beyond Massive Attack and Portishead, can you give me a recommendation?

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 150
Yeah, it’s both more sparkly/airy AND smoother than the IE 800S. Pretty impressive reverberant/venue acoustics right now in “Lotus Flower” by Radiohead as I’m listening and getting a feel for them. First impressions.

May 10, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 150
Oh my!! A single DD that is top of Senn lines!!! I am a fan of 800S!! Count me in
We hope you get to hear one soon. There's a cohesiveness to the IE 900 that must be experienced. It's tough to describe but effortless to enjoy :wink:

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 10, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 150
...and when the HD900?

May 10, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 150
...and when the HD900?
Can’t talk about potential future products, but you can see demonstrated here that Sennheiser is continuing to take their own path and develop their own innovations in new products. They’re always working on somethings!

May 10, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 150
Can’t talk about potential future products, but you can see demonstrated here that Sennheiser is continuing to take their own path and develop their own innovations in new products. They’re always working on somethings!
Oh ! I am sure the HD900 is coming. Why ? Because there are a noticeable differences between HD800S and HD800S-Anniversary. It just means to me that the Anniversary edition is to say “farewell” to the current chain of HD800S. The slightly improvements from Anniversary editions mean that Sennheiser has a specific aims to score forward, and what else can it be beside HD900 ?

I suspected this all along, but with the release of IE900, now I am sure. Anyways, I hope nothing changes too much from Sennheiser..... at least don’t let me down like an HD820 did LoL

May 10, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 150
Ok, so this “Orchestral EDM” track absolutely kicks bass, and is a must listen on the IE 900, adding it to my playlist:

Tidal:
https://tidal.com/track/181541904

May 10, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #13 of 150
Okay, and here I was researching the ie 800S for 5 hours earlier today, ready to pull the trigger when I saw it on amazon for 200 dollars off. Boy, I woulda been mad if I bought the 800...for 800.

That's 5 hours wasted but I'm excited for my first pair of high- end monitors!

May 11, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 150
Oh my!! A single DD that is top of Senn lines!!! I am a fan of 800S!! Count me in
I’m a huge fan of the ie800s plus also own a ie300. I think I need this iem!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back