Ever Bought Headphones based on someone else's Recommendation and they were NOTHING like u expected?
Mar 8, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's something painful about Ultrasone's.

ditto
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #17 of 39
I was torn and I could have bought a low end Beyer instead. Now, when I use them, I cannot remember what the reviewscould have said to make me buy them. I doubt I'll get really bad advice here, though.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #18 of 39
My 1st set of good phones bought on recomendations, Denon D1001s, had zero wow factor out of the box. As they burned and I became accustomed to them, they've become my preferred phone for mellow stuff.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #20 of 39
A900.

I thought they'd be, like, good, or something.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #21 of 39
The Grados GS 1000's that I had Died soon after I sold them so I cant' say it was the signature I didn't like or maybe some bad drivers, but if they were wroking properly, the general signature was not what I had expected to hear from Grado's "Flagship". (Let's leave the AMP issues out of this dicussion shall we?)

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #22 of 39
The Sennheiser HD201 was slightly better than I expected it would be from reading things here. However, I don't ever use it anymore.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was sucked in by some of the Ultrasone threads and recommendations. People described speaker like imaging which wasnt remotely true. In fact, they didnt image or soundstage as well as the headphones I already owned. More frustrating was the failure to mention the sibilant treble, and especially, the odd, muffled sounding midrange. People continue to claim they like them and talk a lot about the bass of some models. But, they do atleast touch on some of the midrange and treble anomolies; although clearly not to the degree I would.

In short, I thought the Ultrsones were plain awful. Moreover, any subsequent Ultrasone I tried had the same WEIRD midrange and an etched treble quality that is definitely not for me.

You know, not everybody can hear S-Logic
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #24 of 39
I had way too much expectations on the Denon AH-D2000 and the Kenwood KH-K1000, based on what I read about them. I was disappointed when I heard both.
The D2000 not at once, but in the course of some weeks when I noticed their flaws (note: what I think as being their flaws, don't want to start another flame war).

But most of the other headphones I heard, matched with what I've read about them.

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #27 of 39
Koss ESP/10's, based on zero input but a friend on head-fi saying "probably like grado stats", they performed nothing at all along those lines, instead they totally blew me away (especially at their price), even if its taken me a few months to get them 100% sorted out

so thats a "good" example

and an example of headphones I feel didn't live up to expectations, and ended up disliking, would be Sennheiser HD-595 Premier's, which my dealer assured me would be "accurate and lively", and I'd read some pretty good press on (pre head-fi days mind you), that audition lasted all of two minutes, and needless to say I didn't take them home

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #28 of 39
I think alot of the problems come from expensive (for the non audio enthusiast) phones like the K701/HD650/D2000 that new members pick up and rave about endlessly, not having heard any other comparable models. Guess thats the way everything goes though.

Haven't heard an Ultrasone, so that may be an exception.

So far, Ive been very satisfied with the advice (after many hours of research) headfi has provided. Learning whos a fanboy and whos trying to give you the best advice takes a bit of time, but it becomes very clear after a while.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here, with the staxes they always sounded like it was being said. Dynamic cans deffinetly not, the k701 was very very different from what I expected from some of the users, but other users were spot on. Same goes for the Pro900 ad plenty more. I'm not sure what the use is of this thread. If it is to make people more aware that people have different opinions, and one should not blindly follow another one's recommendations, then I'm all for.

thats spot on =] just wanted to see if there have been extreme cases where following opinions can lead to disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back