Ever Bought Headphones based on someone else's Recommendation and they were NOTHING like u expected?
Mar 8, 2009 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

zantetsuken

100+ Head-Fier
what the question means is did u read a review and buy/auditioned headphones based on that, and then it turned out to be nothing like the reviewer said?

share your story on what you read and what u heard?

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by zantetsuken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what the question means is did u read a review and buy/auditioned headphones based on that, and then it turned out to be nothing like the reviewer said?

share your story on what you read and what u heard?

Reviews/recommendations from other users are just for info purposes. Since sound is very subjective, I use my own ears as the final decision for the purchase. Take for example, my latest purchase of a K702 is based on my listening at the shop with my favourite songs. Of course, to others, this K702 is not up-tp-their-standard.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 39
So far id have to say most of the headphones ive read about and then tried, have been fairly close to what people have said in reviews and such. As greenarrow stated, i also use my ears as my final purchase, being a bit of a bass lover
wink.gif
You can tell from the phones i have bought and kept.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 39
I have been blessed with the fact that the 'phones stood up to what I expected.
That goes for the Stax'en and the AKG K1000 that I have bought blind, just based on others recommendations/impressions.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 39
Same here, with the staxes they always sounded like it was being said. Dynamic cans deffinetly not, the k701 was very very different from what I expected from some of the users, but other users were spot on. Same goes for the Pro900 ad plenty more. I'm not sure what the use is of this thread. If it is to make people more aware that people have different opinions, and one should not blindly follow another one's recommendations, then I'm all for.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 39
Headphones are like a menu at a restaurant, some people like certain things while others dont. Just comes down to a matter of taste.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 39
The only headphones that didn't meet my expectations were ATs - every single model I've tried, up to the L3000. Every single one I've listen with sounded seriously bland.

That being said, I've read some fantastic stuff on here and got the odd bit of help from people (special credit goes here to HeadphoneAddict) which has including some spot-on descriptions of headphones.

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 39
About two weeks ago I saw someone selling the Equation RP-21 for 90$. After reading some very positive reviews I went to meet him and buy them. I auditioned them for about 5 minutes and hated every second. But then again, maybe it was because of the source - iPod Classic. So of course at the end I didn't buy them and went home and ordered the MS-1s (haven't heard them either lol). Hope I like 'em
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 39
the markl modded D5000 wasn´t what I expected. Where I live you can´t audition a single headphone without buying one pretty much. Would never tried the Denon unless I thought I could get my money back which I got thankfully
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #10 of 39
I was sucked in by some of the Ultrasone threads and recommendations. People described speaker like imaging which wasnt remotely true. In fact, they didnt image or soundstage as well as the headphones I already owned. More frustrating was the failure to mention the sibilant treble, and especially, the odd, muffled sounding midrange. People continue to claim they like them and talk a lot about the bass of some models. But, they do atleast touch on some of the midrange and treble anomolies; although clearly not to the degree I would.

In short, I thought the Ultrsones were plain awful. Moreover, any subsequent Ultrasone I tried had the same WEIRD midrange and an etched treble quality that is definitely not for me.

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 39
we want model numbers!

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 39
My pair of K271s sound WAY of other peoples' opinions. They are actually fun and uber bassy. Wonder why.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 39
Yup. I didn't expect the 701 to have a smaller stage than the 700, but that's what I found. I also didn't expect it to be brighter, but it was.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was sucked in by some of the Ultrasone threads and recommendations. People described speaker like imaging which wasnt remotely true. In fact, they didnt image or soundstage as well as the headphones I already owned. More frustrating was the failure to mention the sibilant treble, and especially, the odd, muffled sounding midrange. People continue to claim they like them and talk a lot about the bass of some models. But, they do atleast touch on some of the midrange and treble anomolies; although clearly not to the degree I would.

In short, I thought the Ultrsones were plain awful. Moreover, any subsequent Ultrasone I tried had the same WEIRD midrange and an etched treble quality that is definitely not for me.

Haha, the Ultrasone's were the first ones that came to mind when I saw this thread. I think we've crossed paths in earlier Ultrasone related threads, so you and I "go way back" when it comes to the Ultrasone's, but for the rest that haven't seen our previous posts I'll just say that sacd lover's impressions mirror my own, but I'll embellish a little just for the hell of it:

I bought the Ultrasone ProLine 2500's to use for mixing duties and was told they were supremely accurate and perfect for critical mixing.
When I first hooked 'em up my jaw almost dropped, or rather, my ears ran screaming away from the scene. It's not just the weird muffled midrange in combination with the piercing sibilant highs. There's something else about 'em too. They manage to squeeze in this sort of metallic gritty quality as well which further enhances said shrill highs.
I tried burning 'em in for several hundred hours but they still sounded awful. I seriously couldn't listen for more than about 2 minutes (yes, at moderate levels) before I started feeling fatigue.

"There's something about Ultrasone's...". I agree. There's something painful about Ultrasone's.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 39
But isn't this about like, I really dislike the K701, but I love the K1000 and the 501 isn't that bad either? I mean I didn't like the 780, the 750 and never heard the 2500 (don't plan on it either), but I like the 900 and the ED9 was also fine by me. Every brand has imo some goods and some bads (although some brands offcourse have nothing to my taste).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back