Etymotic & Westone - Discussion & Impressions (index in 1st post)
Dec 26, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #346 of 408
The one advantage of the 80 is it really is a blank canvas for EQ and sound enhancements. I mainly use mine with my Gryphon and I always use the xbass and xspace features to give it a more fun sound signature.
Sounds reasonable and fun! (Un/)fortunately my DAPs do not really have proper EQs, otherwise I'd give the MACH 80 a serious thought!

Jan 10, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #348 of 408
The Mach 70 is what we're looking at today on Headfonia, an article by @Aerosphere

https://www.headfonia.com/westone-audio-mach-70-review/

chrome_2023-01-10_10-48-11.png

Feb 9, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #350 of 408
Was choosing between the 2nd gen shure 846 or the Mach 50. Went with the Mach 50, but I have barely seen reviews for these IEM's. Any particular reason why it seems nobody has them?

Feb 9, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #351 of 408
Was choosing between the 2nd gen shure 846 or the Mach 50. Went with the Mach 50, but I have barely seen reviews for these IEM's. Any particular reason why it seems nobody has them?
If you don't push out new products in chi-fi frequency, you become irrelevant quickly in today's market. It's sad. People don't mention or compare to Shure, Senn, Beyer, JH, UE, Westone or Ety in their reviews any more, which is crazy to me.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #352 of 408
If you don't push out new products in chi-fi frequency, you become irrelevant quickly in today's market. It's sad. People don't mention or compare to Shure, Senn, Beyer, JH, UE, Westone or Ety in their reviews any more, which is crazy to me.

Interesting, it's been starting to feel that way in the TWS and IEM world. Everybody is always chasing the dragon for the constant new releases. I see it less in the full headphone sized world.

The Westone UM1 is the IEM that started it all for me a loooooooooooooooong time ago. I'm pretty excited for the Mach 50 to come tomorrow and to check them out. They sound right up my alley.

Feb 10, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #353 of 408
Interesting, it's been starting to feel that way in the TWS and IEM world. Everybody is always chasing the dragon for the constant new releases. I see it less in the full headphone sized world.

The Westone UM1 is the IEM that started it all for me a loooooooooooooooong time ago. I'm pretty excited for the Mach 50 to come tomorrow and to check them out. They sound right up my alley.

I started with the UM2, that one spent many, many hours in my ears, still have it now. :)

IMG20230210141525.jpg

Feb 10, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #354 of 408
Got these this morning and have listened to them for an hour. There is no wow factor for me in these yet. Competent so far. Will have to really listen to them more. Haven't had a purely BA in my collection in a long time. I think I am missing the dynamics that a dynamic driver can bring to the table, either by itself or in a hybrid situation. Also I've been listening to really good gear lately, so harder to wow. I had the Rai Penta, and while more expensive, they were on another level. These don't quite feel like $800 IEM's right now.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #355 of 408
I think I see why nobody is talking about these. They are certainly no $800 IEM, maybe a couple hundred. I don't remember being this disappointed with pricey audio gear besides for focals that couldn't handle real bass at anything over an average volume

They just sound anemic and lifeless. I tried multiple tips and a few kinds of the main music I listen too.

RMA to b&h and probably get something wireless, they have no IEM I want to try besides the IE600,

Feb 10, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #356 of 408
I haven't really been following head-fi for some time, but then saw the MACH series at a show and was very excited. The entire series was available there, but I just picked a few to try. To me, an 8-model series is simply too much to handle. For the models that I have tried, most are competent, and yes, I do think there are some differences in terms of character and quality. But in the end, they are more similar than different to me. My Westone nostalgia isn't enough to motivate me to try every single one of them.

Feb 10, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #357 of 408
I think I see why nobody is talking about these. They are certainly no $800 IEM, maybe a couple hundred. I don't remember being this disappointed with pricey audio gear besides for focals that couldn't handle real bass at anything over an average volume

They just sound anemic and lifeless. I tried multiple tips and a few kinds of the main music I listen too.

RMA to b&h and probably get something wireless, they have no IEM I want to try besides the IE600,
Thanks for the impressions. What is your source gear?

I have been pairing my MACH 10 with a Chinese player (Quloos QA361), which I enjoy a lot. However, I have recently bought a Sony ZX707, and the pairing gives me this "anemic and lifeless" impression.

Feb 10, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #358 of 408
Got these this morning and have listened to them for an hour. There is no wow factor for me in these yet.
I think that 1 huge difference between Westone and Chi-Fi IEMs is:
Chi-Fi IEMs are like the TVs on display at Best Buy... All the picture settings (HDR, motion smoothing, etc.) are dialed to MAX. trying to dazzle you from the first second... BUT, after a few minutes (or hours) your brain just rejects the artificially "enhanced" picture. It just ain't natural.
Westone is the opposite. Going for natural presentation, despite not being "sexy" or "eye catching". A few hours later, though, your brain (and ears) are still happy from not being abused.

I am NOT saying all Chinese IEMs are bad.
All I am saying is Westone Audio IEMs are impressive in their natural and fatigue-free presentation. NOT in being flashy and not eager to impress.

I hope it makes sense, and these are my personal opinions and observations.

Feb 11, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #359 of 408
Thanks for the impressions. What is your source gear?

I have been pairing my MACH 10 with a Chinese player (Quloos QA361), which I enjoy a lot. However, I have recently bought a Sony ZX707, and the pairing gives me this "anemic and lifeless" impression.
I was using my phone with aptx HD to a fiio btr7

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #360 of 408
I think that 1 huge difference between Westone and Chi-Fi IEMs is:
Chi-Fi IEMs are like the TVs on display at Best Buy... All the picture settings (HDR, motion smoothing, etc.) are dialed to MAX. trying to dazzle you from the first second... BUT, after a few minutes (or hours) your brain just rejects the artificially "enhanced" picture. It just ain't natural.
Westone is the opposite. Going for natural presentation, despite not being "sexy" or "eye catching". A few hours later, though, your brain (and ears) are still happy from not being abused.

I am NOT saying all Chinese IEMs are bad.
All I am saying is Westone Audio IEMs are impressive in their natural and fatigue-free presentation. NOT in being flashy and not eager to impress.

I hope it makes sense, and these are my personal opinions and observations.
I don't really have much chi-fi except my one pair of dunu. You can see in my sig what I have currently. These Westones fell flat to me and it has nothing to do with a taste for flash to me. Sound can be rich and engaging and inspiring without being flashy to me. Do it's certainly not that.

I'm going to grab the IE600 with this return. So again, not looking for flashy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back