Etymotic & Westone - Discussion & Impressions (index in 1st post)
Oct 9, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #391 of 408
Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #392 of 408
@EtyDave, Nick from Warner Tech-Care sourced a cable for me from Linum. Thank you for all your assistance! Thank you @rwelles for the suggestion as well! Loving this Mach 70.

Excellent. I'm glad you got it sorted.

Oct 9, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #393 of 408
I have the ER2XR for some months and this time I notice capsules get warm when playing loudly, especially with loud bass levels, although sound doesn't get corrupted. I reached out Etymotic and told me to get a replacement from Amazon that I bought It. Do you think that's a common issue in ER bullet type capsules? Have you heard of It before?

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #394 of 408
I have the ER2XR for some months and this time I notice capsules get warm when playing loudly, especially with loud bass levels, although sound doesn't get corrupted. I reached out Etymotic and told me to get a replacement from Amazon that I bought It. Do you think that's a common issue in ER bullet type capsules? Have you heard of It before?

That is decidedly NOT normal. Particularly since there is nothing electrical touching the earpiece housings.

Is it possible that they are getting warmed up by your body somehow?

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #395 of 408
That is decidedly NOT normal. Particularly since there is nothing electrical touching the earpiece housings.

Is it possible that they are getting warmed up by your body somehow?
Definitely not. I've changed to new filters, tried different ear tips, same thing. I have a preference for the foam tips but It happens also with the dual and triple flanges. It happens mostly when I listen to loud bass levels, a little when just listen loud. But with strong bass, capsules get unbearably warm along with ear tips. Will see how the replacement does. There's also a possibility to be my setup that does It. I got a Chord Mojo 2 lately and using them with It. I haven't tried yet to listen loud and EQed with my other amp/dacs, xduoo xd 05 plus, Topping NX4 and Ifi hip DAC, also got a Topping NX7 as an amplifier for NX4 and hip DAC when I need to. Mojo 2 currently is my favorite. No such issue with my over-ear headphones(Austrian Audio hi-x55) no matter how loud and bassy I make them with the DSP EQ.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #396 of 408
Definitely not. I've changed to new filters, tried different ear tips, same thing. I have a preference for the foam tips but It happens also with the dual and triple flanges. It happens mostly when I listen to loud bass levels, a little when just listen loud. But with strong bass, capsules get unbearably warm along with ear tips. Will see how the replacement does. There's also a possibility to be my setup that does It. I got a Chord Mojo 2 lately and using them with It. I haven't tried yet to listen loud and EQed with my other amp/dacs, xduoo xd 05 plus, Topping NX4 and Ifi hip DAC, also got a Topping NX7 as an amplifier for NX4 and hip DAC when I need to. Mojo 2 currently is my favorite. No such issue with my over-ear headphones(Austrian Audio hi-x55) no matter how loud and bassy I make them with the DSP EQ.

I was inclined to help you troubleshoot, but I think you should just return them. This is the first time I've ever heard of this.

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #397 of 408
I was inclined to help you troubleshoot, but I think you should just return them. This is the first time I've ever heard of this.
Will try the replacement and will see then. I kinda believe It's the bullet shape capsules issue. Didn't have It at first. At the time purchsed the ER2XR I had a CCA Lyra but returned It because ER2XR had a tighter sound overall, which I prefer. Though I don't think would have such issue with the Lyra but their bass was bloated unlike Etymotic. No isolation and sound was leaking. ER2XR If capsules wouldn't get warm, I could blast them with literally zero sound leakage.

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #398 of 408
Will try the replacement and will see then. I kinda believe It's the bullet shape capsules issue. Didn't have It at first. At the time purchsed the ER2XR I had a CCA Lyra but returned It because ER2XR had a tighter sound overall, which I prefer. Though I don't think would have such issue with the Lyra but their bass was bloated unlike Etymotic. No isolation and sound was leaking. ER2XR If capsules wouldn't get warm, I could blast them with literally zero sound leakage.

The earpieces really shouldn't get warm just because they are pumping out high levels of bass. The drivers themselves don't generate much heat. I suspect that there is something else going on.

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #399 of 408
This week I got Mach 60 and 80, haven't even unpacked mach 80 so far.
When I first listened to Mach 60 I thought for myself that bass is lacking, before it I was using extensively W80, and midrange details seemed more clear, but I didn't pay much attention to the clarity, it was a quick listen at work.
Yesterday I listened to it again, having already forgotten that previously it sounded more detailed to me than w80, so I went through a few hip hop tracks to check out the bass and then a fired up Rammstein Mutter album, I was blown away, details were so clear, I could tell every single instrument apart, like every single instrument apart in what seemed a distorted blend ( distorted in good way, you know guitars distortion and etc.) of sounds before.
So today I compared it directly to w80, w80 has bigger bass, sounds darker, drums kind of sound like it's in the room away from you, because I hear reverberation tail on snare drum more pronounced and dark, but mach 60 sounds more realistic, completely balanced and as if drums are being played in front of you, very realistic cymbals and snare drum hits, the reverberation tail I've mentioned earlier is there and it's more life like, it's not as pronounced, it's more a part of everything else, it's brighter and decays more naturally and quick, kick drum is heard clearly too, on W80 it's kind of thumps behind that distorted wall of sounds.
I strongly prefer Mach 60, sounds very balanced and realistic. Sounds like a good pair of speakers without a subwoofer, detail separation blown me away, while w80 sounds like a darker, a bit muffled pair of speaker with a subwoofer. I hear sub part on Mach 60, but it's not as pronounced like it is on w80 and it's balanced with the rest of the frequency.
W80 having that stronger bass is more fun though, so I'm still getting myself used to not having that kind of sub bass on Mach 60, like I've said that was the first thing I've noticed as being the difference on the very first listen to Mach 60, but the details it brings out in every spectrum makes it a winner for me, I'm very happy that I decided to get it and Im completely in no hurry to unpack Mach 80, I did though, but just to check what's inside and packed it up back again without trying it out, now it got me thinking that I should check if it works, lol, but it will be packed again to savor having it until the next year, no doubt, because I won't be doing detail listening anyways, just a quick sound check.
I think the last line already tells how much I like Mach 60.

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #401 of 408
Anyone has experience with the Westone W80-V3? Thank you.
These are heavenly discounted at adorama, contemplating on getting them. Haven't heard them yet though.

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #404 of 408
The small Spinfit CP 240 ear tips delivered the best sound for my ER4XRs so far. I think many people dont have them on their radar.
https://hifi-passion.de/Marken/SpinFit/SpinFit-CP240

I have seen people recommending the size M or L ear tips, but the S tips also allow the deep insertion that we are used to.

What they do to the sound is - in my ear, at least - that they flatten the highest octaves from 9k and above.
On most measurements you see peaks and dips from 10k and above but after using these tips, it sounds like they are mostly removed.
It sounds incredibly correct now.

The size M tips didnt do the same for me. They isolated better but they didnt improve the treble (rather the opposite).

I have to be a bit careful with the ingress though. From certain angles it can be painful as it can happen that the second flange rolls up inside my ear while inserting (not sure if I explained this correctly).

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #405 of 408
Hello Guys, would really appreciate if you could help me out with a suggestion.
I am looking for an IEM from this manufacturer and in your opinion what are the best IEM that they have developed for the past 10 years. I have no limits for the budget just want good sounding quality.
Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back