Etymotic & Westone - Discussion & Impressions (index in 1st post)
Aug 3, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #272 of 408
Hi there everyone! Any "new" EVO users around? I just bit the bullet and ordered an EVO, as I have found an interesting deal. :) :) :) :)

I am currently using an ER3SE along with a few other headphones and I am pretty happy with it's performance, but thought giving it a try and upgrade it... I will be using it mainly with a FiiO M11 while on the road.

I love the (passive) noise isolation from ER3SE, so hopefully I won' t be disappointed with the EVO!

Stay safe!

Aug 16, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #274 of 408
For those who don't follow Precog, there are fresh Mach 30 and 40 impressions in his thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/precogs-iem-reviews-impressions.937468/page-175#post-17098420

graph (19).png

I remember the good ol days when IEMs that graph like this were considered neutral. Now all of a sudden everyone needs 8db+ of pinna gain and hates lower-mids ...

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #275 of 408
Hi westone experts
Hope Im on the good topic :wink:
I want to change my w50 bought this spring thx to a nice discount in France , because its no surprise, they are too bassy
Im a huge fan of rock/prog and heavy/ extrême metal awful music…
W50 are pure marvels in «matter of résolution, impact, layering etc coming from w10, um20,w30, but too bassy even with a dragonfly cobalt and the « silk câble made for iPhone « after EQ, especially low mids
Clearly way too Much muddy and flat boring with the braided one and iphone’s basic dac
X30 and x50 are actually discounted so should I go for one or wait and buy a mach50?
I liked the narrow um20, the balance of the w10 and about my w50’s setup the punchy groovy and relax non fatiguing listening while they keep a sufficent définition and layering (again, set up like that).
So As a metalhead bass is not my priority, but mids and not too harsh treble required, and a narrower scene is not a problèm. Musically impact and dynamism is a big concern of course, maybe w40 or better on back market but they may be too flat and boring?
I Hope you can help choose because their stock seems to be limited..!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #276 of 408
I finally had a chance this past week to use my very favorite Ety again. It had been years since I last tried them :frowning2:

Which Ety you ask? The Evos? Love them, but not quite. The ER4SR? WAAAAY more bass. Not even the OG ER4SR is as accurate...

Of course, I am talking about the Ety ER20XS earplugs, deployed to a live concert. For many years I struggled to really enjoy live music as it was often a choice between potential hearing loss and pain or muffled sound through normal earplugs - Being able to apply an attenuation model based off of Ety's target curve was absolutely transformative of the live experience for me. Discerning all of the details in the performance while still FEELING the venue's enormous sub bass reverberating throughout your whole body... it's a special decoupled experience that is just not possible any other way.

Step 1:
Did I mention it had been years since my last show? Between the pandemic and having 2 kids it was getting painful. Good thing to get the universal model of the 20XS, you can swap on your spare Ety tips rather than buying a whole new pair:

20220817_105409.jpg

Also, might not have cleaned that old pair of tips so well after the last show in '18, enjoy the horror on the right. New tips definitely look less like potential ear infection to me.

Time for Step 2...
20220823_193008_HDR.jpg

showtime.jpg

Thanks Ety!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #277 of 408
I finally had a chance this past week to use my very favorite Ety again. It had been years since I last tried them :frowning2:

Which Ety you ask? The Evos? Love them, but not quite. The ER4SR? WAAAAY more bass. Not even the OG ER4SR is as accurate...

Of course, I am talking about the Ety ER20XS earplugs, deployed to a live concert. For many years I struggled to really enjoy live music as it was often a choice between potential hearing loss and pain or muffled sound through normal earplugs - Being able to apply an attenuation model based off of Ety's target curve was absolutely transformative of the live experience for me. Discerning all of the details in the performance while still FEELING the venue's enormous sub bass reverberating throughout your whole body... it's a special decoupled experience that is just not possible any other way.

Step 1:
Did I mention it had been years since my last show? Between the pandemic and having 2 kids it was getting painful. Good thing to get the universal model of the 20XS, you can swap on your spare Ety tips rather than buying a whole new pair:

Also, might not have cleaned that old pair of tips so well after the last show in '18, enjoy the horror on the right. New tips definitely look less like potential ear infection to me.

Time for Step 2...

Thanks Ety!
When it comes to the earplug game I'm team Westone :wink: I have had my Westone TRU universals in different colors and filters since they came out in 2014, and they have been serving me well.

I remember attending Ultra Miami in 2016, and I was a bit too close to the subwoofers at the Avicii set than I should have. When the set was over and I squeezed my way out of the crowd, I threw up on the sidewalk because I guess the subwoofers were literally shaking my organs. I can't even begin to imagine the hearing damage that would have done if I weren't wearing my Westone TRU.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #278 of 408
Since I discovered these (2 years ago or so) - I had several opportunities to use them in live (rock) concerts. WAY better than foam plugs for sure!!
In fact, I used ER20XS a week ago in a concert. Love how they do not muffle the music badly like the foam plugs.

Aug 29, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #279 of 408
When it comes to the earplug game I'm team Westone :wink: I have had my Westone TRU universals in different colors and filters since they came out in 2014, and they have been serving me well.

We're all team Lucid now, Buddy :) I am tempted to check out the Westone plugs, but they have so many different sound signatures on offer I don't know if I'll like it or not... maybe next time.

Sep 17, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #280 of 408
Westone is back-back. The Mach 50 and 60 are no joke. They can give every flagship out there a run for their money, without the fancy cables. What an achievement. Smooth and warm tone. 60 is a tad more V-shaped than the 50 (less than 1db).

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #283 of 408
I missed the 4pm drawing for the MACH 60 during CanJam SoCal...
I hope the lucky winner would check-in here and say hi :wink:

Sep 23, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #285 of 408
Lets hope so but for the uninformed members I think you will more likely find it in the for sale section new and unopened. :)
Good point. However, every once in a while those prizes are won by deserving people! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back