Etymotic & Westone - Discussion & Impressions (index in 1st post)
Jul 1, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #241 of 408
The Mach 80 is a very different beast to the others I've tried (30, 40, 60)... surgical amounts of detail, seems more of a statement tuning. Still wrapping my ears around it.
This statement suddenly made the Mach 80 interesting to me.... until I saw the price. GULP! But interesting to read your impressions. I will definitely look out for a place to demo these in the future.

Jul 1, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #242 of 408
This statement suddenly made the Mach 80 interesting to me.... until I saw the price. GULP! But interesting to read your impressions. I will definitely look out for a place to demo these in the future.
They really are a captivating earphone, although I can see how for some they might be a bit too detailed. I honestly prefer approach for TOTLs as opposed to trying to be all things to all listeners. The 80 is an indulgence for detail lovers in the same way I understand the 70 are for bass heads. Definitely give them a try if you have the chance!

Jul 12, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #244 of 408
oh I'm liking this MACH 10 but when I listen to MACH 20. OMG, what an improvement.
Cannot wait to try both myself (once the Asia / AUS tour is over)... Funny, @OspreyAndy seems to have personally liked the single-BA MACH 10 better.
I long ago already learned that "technically better" does not always means "sounds better to ME" in this hobby! :wink:

Jul 14, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #245 of 408
Cannot wait to try both myself (once the Asia / AUS tour is over)... Funny, @OspreyAndy seems to have personally liked the single-BA MACH 10 better.
I long ago already learned that "technically better" does not always means "sounds better to ME" in this hobby! :wink:
well, as much as I like the MACH 20, I think MACH 10 is pretty special for its coherency. every frequency range is so well-attached or seamless and MACH 10 also proves that treble ≠ resolution/detail. but that doesn't mean MACH 20 is less or incoherent, perhaps MACH 10 is just unique.

Jul 14, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #246 of 408
Jul 20, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #247 of 408
This is somewhat interesting

ERX.jpeg

DROP + ETYMOTIC ERX IN-EAR MONITORS​

AUDIOPHILE
DROP STUDIO

"We’re collaborating with legendary IEM manufacturer Etymotic to bring the community something special. The ERX: a high-performing pair of earphones that blends the best of two iconic models. Stay tuned for updates and click "request" to be the first to know when they launch."

https://drop.com/talk/114188/drop--etymotic-teaming-up-to-create-exceptional-earphones

I think it will be a single-driver version of the EVO... in Midnight Black of course.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #248 of 408
This is somewhat interesting

ERX.jpeg

DROP + ETYMOTIC ERX IN-EAR MONITORS​

AUDIOPHILE
DROP STUDIO

"We’re collaborating with legendary IEM manufacturer Etymotic to bring the community something special. The ERX: a high-performing pair of earphones that blends the best of two iconic models. Stay tuned for updates and click "request" to be the first to know when they launch."

https://drop.com/talk/114188/drop--etymotic-teaming-up-to-create-exceptional-earphones

I think it will be a single-driver version of the EVO... in Midnight Black of course.
Very interesting! I prefer the sound of the EVO, the level of detail and transparent sound is incredible, but the shape of the ER4XR is better for me, the absolute best isolation. So, I guess the ERX probably will not be for me. I wonder though how they will tune it. Probably with more bass?

Jul 21, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #249 of 408
Single driver in the big Evo casing would be the wrong direction imo, but then again it is current year Drop we're talking about. Trying to sneak in a second driver into the classic ety tube would definitely be preferable to me.

They're paying a bit of lip service to the Etymotic target with the great historic pics and plot, who knows maybe this is an SR tuned Evo? I can dream for now at least...

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #250 of 408
Single driver in the big Evo casing would be the wrong direction imo, but then again it is current year Drop we're talking about. Trying to sneak in a second driver into the classic ety tube would definitely be preferable to me.

They're paying a bit of lip service to the Etymotic target with the great historic pics and plot, who knows maybe this is an SR tuned Evo? I can dream for now at least...

They mentioned the ER4XR. They want to have a version of that in the EVO form factor with one of their typical cables and color scheme. These are for buyers who want an ER4XR, but just shy away from the traditional Etymotic canal-type form factor. They even have the Westone short star silicone tips mounted. Those are far less scary to a noob than flange types.

Jul 21, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #251 of 408
Unfortunately, I cannot elaborate much on this new product until Drop releases more info, but I think @InvisibleInk is the closest... :wink:

Jul 22, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #252 of 408
Jul 23, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #254 of 408
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #255 of 408
This Lucid Hearing? I'm guessing that they are in the US? Also no mention of any Etymotic products on their website.

https://lucidhearing.com
Lucid owns both Etymotic and Westone. They are US based (Texas).
Bret is correct!

I would imagine the code is for buying an Evo from Ety's page at https://www.etymotic.com/product/evo-multi-driver-earphone/
Yup. I tried it before posting the deal, and it dropped the EVO price from $500 to $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back