Etymotic & Westone - Discussion & Impressions (index in 1st post)
Jul 23, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #256 of 411
To clarify more:
Lucid Hearing is the subsidiary that deals with hearing aids.
Westone Audio and Etymotic kept their separate brand (and websites) despite being owned by Lucid Audio.

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #258 of 411
To clarify more:
Lucid Hearing is the subsidiary that deals with hearing aids.
Westone Audio and Etymotic kept their separate brand (and websites) despite being owned by Lucid Audio.
As an aside, as a user of both Ety and Westy it'd be nice to be able to combo shopping carts (for accessories particularly) between brands... For instance to be able to buy Ety and Westone tips together would be nice. Or for that matter I bet a lot of Evo users would be interested in Westones 2.5 mm balanced SuperBax etc.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #259 of 411
As an aside, as a user of both Ety and Westy it'd be nice to be able to combo shopping carts (for accessories particularly) between brands... For instance to be able to buy Ety and Westone tips together would be nice. Or for that matter I bet a lot of Evo users would be interested in Westones 2.5 mm balanced SuperBax etc.
What's the advantage of combining? Saving on shipping cost?

Jul 23, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #260 of 411
What's the advantage of combining? Saving on shipping cost?
Yes, for tips they're not priced high enough to qualify for free shipping whereas westone + ety tips would qualify. I generally end up buying two sets of tips in bulk, but it'd be nice just to have a single point of purchase.

I haven't tested, but that drop ERX unit sporting westone tips has me thinking people might like to mix and match... I would have been more likely to buy and try some 'westone' tips from Etymotic's site to try on my Ety's for instance if this was made clearer. This in addition to the shared coverage for things like balanced superBax etc where one brand has products the other doesn't...

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #264 of 411
Jul 23, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #265 of 411
Jul 25, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #267 of 411

Westone Mach 50 Unboxing and Sound Impressions​

My unboxing and impressions of the Westone Mach 50.

I received the Westone Mach 50 and another model as part of a transcontinental tour offered to us Head-Fiers.

Like many of us, I have boxes full of budget IEMs, plus a bunch of mid-fi-ish gear. If it can be said of hi-end, TOTL, or Summit-fi, I only own maybe one $1K-ish piece. Heading north of $500 USD for anything generates a kind of uneasy experience in my back pocket, which then spreads throughout my body until it paralyzes the muscles necessary to complete the purchase by clicking the “Buy Now” button.

Let’s see what can surprise me with this Westone. I also need to keep in mind who Westone’s traditionally intended professional end user is, and what they might need or want from their IEM. I can tell you right now that there is a lot of mixing of the genes between the professional IEM user and the music loving audiophile going on here. Both will find sound traits to like in this product.

1658789796820.png

Really sturdy, nice looking box

1658789796901.png

Whoa, that’s a big storage box inside!

1658789796988.png

The gigantic Audiosense box (R), looking dwarfed by the MACH 50’s box.

1658789797073.png

Look at the goodies you get. There’s a bag with every conceivable tip option, The Linum cable, and the IEMs, plus a way to download the manual to your phone. Nice soft travel bag.

About that cable. It is probably the least microphonic cables I’ve ever had the pleasure of using. I totally forgot about that cable. My jaw movements and head twisting made more noise.

1658789797172.png

Very thin and light

1658789797280.png

Someone also engineered this excellent chin slider shown above. Way above and beyond in attention to detail.

1658789797409.png

Size comparison with the Tripowin C8 cable (L) I use with a lot of my IEMs.

1658789797494.png

Shown above is my NF Audio NA2+ which is wearing a pair of Westone star tips. I really love these tips; they never give me any problem with seal. Other notable IEMs of mine wearing Westone stars are my CCA CA16 and CRA. If they fit, on they go.

My only previous experience with a Westone IEM is my UM Pro 50, shown below.

1658789797579.png

These are also 5 balanced armature monitors. How will this venerable model stand up to the new guy?

1658789797664.png

I’ll find out using this set up. The Sony CD player is sending an optical signal over S/PIDIF to the iFi iDSD Black Label. I didn’t have any hissing problem, but then I never do with the right settings on this equipment.

I chose the short medium star tips for most of my listening. Super comfortable and easy in and out and clean up. However, the small-ish, all-day comfortable shell of the MACH 50 only blocks so much outside noise, so for better isolation, and bass/low frequencies, I chose to fit the MACH 50 with Etymotic foamies.

1658789797745.png

Isolation is complete with these tips, which I found ideal for this IEM. I can't hear any distracting equipment noise with these tips mounted.

Regarding sound, I’ll tell you right now, without EQ for the UM Pro 50, the MACH 50 instantly destroyed it in terms of musicality and clarity. The UM Pro 50 sounds dark and sucked out-sounding compared to the MACH 50. The MACH 50 sounds great without EQ, but its older brother does not. Give the UM Pro 50 the Harman AutoEQ preset treatment and it sounds a lot better, but still a bit wonky compared to the nicely balanced, detailed presentation of the MACH 50.

With the Etymotic foams there is a powerful low end response. No need for bass boosting this set. On the other hand, the rest of the spectrum is there to enjoy. The speed of this bass is eye-opening for sure, and the accompanying punch and slam is the kind of experience normally associated with dynamic drivers.

So, yeah, I've had a lot of fun with these. I have grown accustomed to dry and clinical sounding all-BA IEMs from Audiosense and others. But this is a much more lovely sounding IEM. The performer and the engineer should find everything here to assist in content creation, while the audiophile can simply kick back in all comfort and/or jive to the tunes without distraction.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #269 of 411
Mach 50 vs 60, anybody?
Nobody in this tour (me included) have or had the MACH 50 and 60 at the same time... @vsg28 got these outside the MACH tour directly from Westone Audio, so he may be able to answer that question :wink:
I can help by quoting from the official company "story" (again, NOT based on me hearing both) - the MACH 50 (and MACH 70) are the bass-heavy tuned IEMs in this series, with the MACH 70 technically superior to the MACH 50. On the other hand, the MACH 60 is a reference tuning, so no bass emphasis or enhancement. Again, the is NOT based on MY personal experience, because I have not heard the MACH 50 yet...

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #270 of 411
Those Mach 50 and 60 FR curves by @vsg28 have to be some of the best curves (if not the best) I have ever seen... They look like a SE535 with more bass or a VE8 with less bass. That's literal perfection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back