Etymotic sound in full-sized headphones?
Nov 8, 2008 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Shoewreck

500+ Head-Fier
Are there any full-sized headphones with sonic signature close to Etymotic? AKG K501 lack detail, lack highs, lack that deep tight bass. Only thing ER6 don't manage to reproduce well is big headstage.
I wonder if there are any full-sized headphones that sound more like ER-6 (or ER-4S, I wouldn't mind) but with wider headstage?

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'd say the K701.

boring, analytic, uninvolving. yeah, they're similar
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 25
K601. I switch back and forth between these and the ER-4S all the time, and the similarities are stunning.

I personally think the K701's treble response is nothing like what I've heard in the Etymotics.

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 25
The K701 was my gateway from the etys. You will find bass to be pretty good. Going from the etys to the full sized 701, two things were noticeable. Bass and soundstage. A good tube amp will give life to the 701s.

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 25
Ive listened to the PX200/PX100 and it sounds great with detail etc, Hehe almost like ER6 series with their lack of bass as well. Apparently another IEM Super.fi Pro 3, has the same detail level but bit more bass than the ER6i.

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 25
^Andrew_WOT^ I remember something about a certain treble test track
wink.gif

I think the K701 will show you what there is to hate about brightness/harshness (with certain recordings--not all music by any means). The K601, to my ears, sounds about as close to exactly like the ER-4S in terms of treble response as it can, being a full-size headphone vs. an IEM.

Nov 9, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any full-sized headphones with sonic signature close to Etymotic? AKG K501 lack detail, lack highs, lack that deep tight bass. Only thing ER6 don't manage to reproduce well is big headstage.
I wonder if there are any full-sized headphones that sound more like ER-6 (or ER-4S, I wouldn't mind) but with wider headstage?

I have an ER-6i, which is not quite the same as the ER-6... Here are my thoughts between the ER-6i and the K501: the treble drops off to zero somewhere between 12-14kHz, which is fairly early. I'm not sure how you can say a K501 lacks highs in comparison; it's just slightly less in your face about it. The K501 also does not lack detail compared to the ER-6i; again, the IEM can show it off more due to background noise being less of a factor and the whole injecting sound straight into your ears. I also remember the K501 to have bass extend down about the same and was quite tight. I would say the K501 is a (much) better version of the ER-6i, so give it another chance. That said, I found the Stax Lambda to be a better version of the K501.

Nov 9, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 25
I don't like the ER6i's with the tri-flanges but I love em with the Shure Black Olives.

I also looked for full sized headphones that sound like ER6i's. I did not enjoy the K701's at all. They were too distant and thin, much like the ER6i's without the Shure Black Olives.

The DT880's almost had as much detail as the ER6i's but had annoyingly recessed and cold mids.

I think the ER6i's are perfection. No full sized can can come close.

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #13 of 25
I Also got a full size can Ultrasone Pro 750, these absolutely destroy the ER6i :p considering the price difference it should be, The bass the detail are all much much better.

However ER6i still have that great sound that i like :p the sound is soo well balanced that it just gives me what the good stuff that i want to hear.

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Koss A/250.

X2

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #15 of 25
I thought my S2 recabled Hfi-780, sounded like my ER4S. It has the same airiness to it, highs, mids and quickness, only difference was the 780 had a little more bass quantity. Soundstage was quite similar, all contained within your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back