Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
May 27, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #482 of 1,201
That cable looks like it wont last five minutes
Well, so far - it is lasting 2 days and counting... :wink:
Joking aside, I will let Dave comment on that since he has been playing with prototypes and pre-production units for a while now.

May 27, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #484 of 1,201
Based on the photos, those Limum BAX cables don't look robust to me either (I've never seen any of those cables in reality, though), however https://linum.dk/discover/technology/ (and numerous user feedback since those cables have been around for a while) indicates that they are - and after all, a cable may appear and be much more durable and robust in real life than when compared to the photos that one can see on the internet. For example, I was very surprised about the DUNU DN-2000Js' and Jays q-JAYS' (2nd generation) cables; both of them turned out to be the most premium, most flexible non-braided/-twisted cables that I have ever had in my hands, whereas my NuForce HEM (1, 2 and 4 - the Dynamic don't count as they have a different cable) come with cables that really look nice and are flexible and supple, but don't appear quite as robust and durable, and I would guess that the Linum BAX cables are also easily more durable than those that came with my Shure SE215m+SPE (that cable is flawed on so many levels compared to my SE425s') or Apple EarPods.

May 27, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #485 of 1,201
Sure, we had released the ER4P, but I've long argued (and still do) that it wasn't really a true bass boost. It was a tilt that gave the impression of more bass and less highs.

@EtyDave anecdotally, quite a few people seem to prefer ER4P over ER4S. For people that are looking for that ER4P sound in the new lineup, it looks like ER3SE is the one that's closest to ER4P (based on graphs). Would that be fair to say and was that intentional? (I have the ER4P, ER4SR/XR, and ER2SE/XR but haven't tried the ER3s).

May 27, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #486 of 1,201
Unfortunately for me that EVO will have a XR style tuning. I'll pass.

May 27, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #488 of 1,201
That cable looks like it wont last five minutes

It sure does look that way. The BaX cables have been around for a while, though (and have a proven track record). They are surprisingly robust, and the T2 sockets are rated for 10k insertion cycles, which is fantastic. Of course, I doubt most people plug and unplug their earphone cables that much.

There a SuperBaX (which I prefer, actually) that is available as an accessory if the BaX is too thin. I fully expect folks will have strong opinions on which cable is the better option.

May 27, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #489 of 1,201
@EtyDave anecdotally, quite a few people seem to prefer ER4P over ER4S. For people that are looking for that ER4P sound in the new lineup, it looks like ER3SE is the one that's closest to ER4P (based on graphs). Would that be fair to say and was that intentional? (I have the ER4P, ER4SR/XR, and ER2SE/XR but haven't tried the ER3s).

The ER3SE is absolutely the closest thing we make to an ER4P and that was not an accident. It's not exactly a 4P, but I suspect most people will find it really close.

As you'd guess, the ER3XR is similar but with the added XR style boost. On that model, I prefer the SE, but opinions can (and do) vary.

May 27, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #490 of 1,201

I get it, I really do. It's very difficult to make a product that is all things to all people, particularly in audio. Hopefully, in the future, we'll have something that's more your style. And while I mean that, it's a general comment, not foreshadowing.

May 27, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #491 of 1,201
It sure does look that way. The BaX cables have been around for a while, though (and have a proven track record). They are surprisingly robust, and the T2 sockets are rated for 10k insertion cycles, which is fantastic. Of course, I doubt most people plug and unplug their earphone cables that much.

There a SuperBaX (which I prefer, actually) that is available as an accessory if the BaX is too thin. I fully expect folks will have strong opinions on which cable is the better option.

Apparently the BaX has aramid fibers in the cable which gives it strength. I have the balanced, 2.5 mm MMCX version (now on sale) and it continues to hold up to daily use. The entire cable is lighter than just the plug on most of my other cables... :sunglasses:

May 27, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #492 of 1,201

I get it, I really do. It's very difficult to make a product that is all things to all people, particularly in audio.
I agree with Dave - we all have our personal preferences.
Personally, being more of a basshead myself - I would love for Etymotic to introduce a "basshead dream IEM" one day... :wink:
The way I see it, many (most?) audiophiles keep reference level IEMs and/or headphones, but also supplement their collection with "guilty pleasure" IEMs and/or headphones! That "guilty pleasure" can be either bass-heavy, super-treble, etc.

Just my 2 cents

May 27, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #494 of 1,201
Well, I'm still planning to listen to them first before to draw any conclusion (in case I participate in a tour- BTW, will it happen?)
I hope to have an update on the tour soon.

I did get an update for you guys on the pre-orders:
Assuming no unforeseen surprises, Etymotic is expecting to start shipping out the EVO pre-orders in mid-June.
I will share with you any additional information, as I receive it from my contacts at Etymotic :)

May 27, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #495 of 1,201
I kinda know what I really like after owning 400+ pair of IEM in the past 2 decades, more than enough that I have saw a fair share of IEM companies raised and fall. I have also came to understand there is something unique about Etymotic that keeps its users from coming back over the years, developing a sense of loyalty. I hope that will still hold true in the decade to come. For now, I guess I'll find my next pair of IEM elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back