Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
May 28, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #512 of 1,201
Cool, thanks for this rec. I am a new Ety owner (ER4XR for me too) and would like a alternative to the Final type E tips (with the red adapter) that I've been using. Gonna give the CP800 a shot.

Westone Stars

May 28, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #513 of 1,201
Perhaps don't look into my forum profile then...:smirk:

Though I am pretty there are a few who own more head gears than me.
To be fair to the last person to comment on your post, I looked into your profile and saw 60 reviews for various audio items (not just iem's) and 60 various audio items is a far cry from claiming to own 400 iem's. Whether you own 400 or not, I don't really care, but being passive-aggressive to the other person and using your profile as some sort of proof is just disingenuous. There's literally no way for anyone to actually know if you own that much from looking at your profile.

May 28, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #514 of 1,201
To be fair to the last person to comment on your post, I looked into your profile and saw 60 reviews for various audio items (not just iem's) and 60 various audio items is a far cry from claiming to own 400 iem's. Whether you own 400 or not, I don't really care, but being passive-aggressive to the other person and using your profile as some sort of proof is just disingenuous. There's literally no way for anyone to actually know if you own that much from looking at your profile.
https://www.head-fi.org/members/clieos.11725/#about

Maybe read more carefully before pointing finger?

May 28, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #515 of 1,201
May 29, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #516 of 1,201
I have a Buchardt A500, which anechoically is virtually flat from 25 - 1000 hz, and with the built-in room correction mostly flat (+- 3b) in my home. To me something like the ER-Z1R sounds more accurate than boosted, relative to this.

I do appreciate when bass is flat in a headphone/IEM application it gets out of the way of details in the upper band, but I think that's another thing than being technically accurate when we're talking about approximating flat in-room response. Of course what curve is going to be ideal from person to person will change based on anatomy, but being boosted down-low to a significant degree is a given IMO.

Different people, different perception of the lows and different levels and speed of adaption to the lack of physical vibrations felt through the entire body when listening to headphones. It's a fact that when listening to to speakers in a room, one doesn't only hear the lows but also feel the vibrations, and when switching to headphones, the latter is obviously gone. Hence there are approaches to compensating for that lack of perceived mechanical vibrations by adding a specific amount of extra bass boost to headphones (research such as Harman and case of the missing 6 dB).

But obviously for the people whose brains are able to more or less easily and quickly adapt to the different situation that is present when using headphones/in-ears/earbuds, none of this boost is needed for an audible flat/linear reproduction of the low frequencies.

May 29, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #517 of 1,201
Perhaps don't look into my forum profile then...:smirk:

Though I am pretty there are a few who own more head gears than me.
I did not and I will not out of protection for my peace of mind :p
You are of course free to enjoy your hobby, I am just on the other extreme of the spectrum of buy-and-use.

I know there are people/companies with storage space having thousands of produced unused stuff. I am sorry to define "use" by its design, and not by status like "owning" it.
I hope I can let other people think about stuff they buy, and wether it would be useful to them. For some reason, ignorance and pricing of Etymotic, I also bought and wrecked other IEMs before getting my first Etymotic.
Of course, hard to tell without trying, but I don't think the EVO will have the same problem. Look at the picture shared before in this thread:

1622232262597.png

I have seen quite a few pictures from people with XRxy series in their ears where the whole bullet shell disappears inside their earcanal. Here, while nozzle length is the same, the rest of the EVO shell will stay outside in your outer ear, around your concha cavum area. So, I still have the hope :D
Indeed, Luke, there is always hope. Moreover, you could try custom molds.

May 29, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #518 of 1,201
May 29, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #519 of 1,201
Except for most headfiers who have been around looking for IEMs and earbuds in the last decade or 2. ^-^
There was a time when it was real hard not to stumble upon @ClieOS or @ljokerl while Googling for stuff to put in our ears.

May 29, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #520 of 1,201
or the new SpinFit SP800 eartips, specific for Ety/Westone

1621960406844.png
I ended up getting a pair of these (small) to test out against the dual flanges (also small) which seem to seal the best for me (of all silicone tips I’ve tried on my ER3/4). The sound is actually brighter with the SpinFit to my ears compared to the dual flanges that Etymotic offers. I do like how the core of the tip is a lot thicker than the Etymotic tip though. That said, I’m going to stick with the dual-flange with my ER4, I’ll have the SpinFits ready for when the EVO gets here as the ergonomics are going to be a lot different. We’ll see if it’s better or worse with the EVO. Could also be used to brighten them up (for those that don’t like the XR target).

My impressions are kind of odd since with most IEMs the SpinFits tended to make them warmer and thicker. I guess the Ety tips just seal a lot better with my ears. I will admit that the SpinFit felt like they sealed extremely well.

May 29, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #521 of 1,201
I ended up getting a pair of these (small) to test out against the dual flanges (also small) which seem to seal the best for me (of all silicone tips I’ve tried on my ER3/4). The sound is actually brighter with the SpinFit to my ears compared to the dual flanges that Etymotic offers. I do like how the core of the tip is a lot thicker than the Etymotic tip though. That said, I’m going to stick with the dual-flange with my ER4, I’ll have the SpinFits ready for when the EVO gets here as the ergonomics are going to be a lot different. We’ll see if it’s better or worse with the EVO. Could also be used to brighten them up (for those that don’t like the XR target).

My impressions are kind of odd since with most IEMs the SpinFits tended to make them warmer and thicker. I guess the Ety tips just seal a lot better with my ears. I will admit that the SpinFit felt like they sealed extremely well.

Yes, I agree. These CP800, once you pick the right size, seal earcanal really well. I can use them (large size) with ER4XR without a problem, except only the nozzle part with eartips are inside my earcanal while the rest of the shell sticking out. The sound has a natural tonality with a relatively balanced signature, everything is clean and clear, bass does sound more neutral to my ears, but I don't know if I'm hearing them exactly how they were intent to sound because the driver is farther away from my eardrum in comparison to how you guys have these stuffed in your ears.

May 30, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #522 of 1,201
Ah, sorry. The bass boost on the EVO is really closer to the ER2XR than the ER3/4XR. There are some mechanical limitations to what we can do with the single BA driver on the ER3/4. We have more sculpting ability with the EVO's dual bass drivers.

As far as the "why", it's because I (and others) happen to like that style of bass boost. We've been kicking around internal prototypes with similar curves (particularly with dynamic drivers) since 2008 or 2009, long before Sean Olive released his target. That's not in any way a dig at the curve, it just wasn't around when we started. Since accuracy in low frequencies wasn't the target, the boost ended up catering more towards our personal preferences, which in my case is a boost with a low enough corner frequency that it doesn't muck up the upper bass and lower mids. So no, we didn't really start out with a target "this is what we need to hit" curve for the bass. There was trial and error, a lot of listening and some arguments with some spirited discussions with driver manufacturers about what we wanted. :wink:

The biggest delay in getting the XR series made was internal. An intentionally inaccurate bass response wasn't really part of the company's ethos, so it took a bit of convincing. Sure, we had released the ER4P, but I've long argued (and still do) that it wasn't really a true bass boost. It was a tilt that gave the impression of more bass and less highs. But the motivation for it (back in the day) was gained sensitivity so that it could be used with the relatively weak outputs of portable players at the time. The XR series is the same sensitivity as the SE/SR series, so it's only about adding bass (thus reducing objective accuracy). Mead (Killion, Etymotic's founder) still makes fun of me on occasion for it, but it has been well received so his teasing doesn't bother me too much. :wink:
Wait so you guys started trying something like ER2XR back in 2009? Is that then finalized known as MC5 later?
That boost was exactly what I'm seeking on mc5 actually.

May 31, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #524 of 1,201
Wait so you guys started trying something like ER2XR back in 2009? Is that then finalized known as MC5 later?
That boost was exactly what I'm seeking on mc5 actually.

I might be off on the year. It was actually a little bit before the MC5; it was when we were working on the Harmon Kardon EP710. But a lot of that carried over into the MC5.

I probably still have the (extremely ugly) prototypes somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back