Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
May 13, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #301 of 1,201
It's a straight up non-recessed T2 socket. The cables are made by Estron and are interchangeable.

We had to tool up an overmold for the Etymotion, but the other cables are Estron.
That's awesome to hear :) Can't wait for it to come... Speaking of which, any update on pre-orders?

May 13, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #302 of 1,201
Not about balanced or Multi-BA Driver, the key word about Evo i'm interesting is "less canal resonance"

The dynamic gang Beyerdyanmic and Sennheiser give their answer : shorter nozzle with special tips, front Helmholtz resonator (absorber). I'm very interesting about the BA gang, especially ETY's answer......

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #303 of 1,201
Do you see any benefit to a balanced connection on the Evo other than the whole more power aspect of it? I could see some benefits based on the DAP if its nominal impedance is a little wonky, but otherwise Ety has never struck me as a power-hungry IEM.

Is something different this time (aside from the obvious multi-driver arrangement)?
In many DAPs and dacs the single ended output is 'derived' from the balanced amp circuit. In this case not just the extra power is the benefit, but dynamics, separation, imagining is much better on the balanced output. My dacs mostly have balanced output, so I do not plan to use a single ended cable :)

May 14, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #304 of 1,201
Since this going to be a 3 BA set up. Wonder If the 2 woofers will give more impact than the ER4/ER2 while reaching 20KHz?. Going to be fun seeing it being compared to a few hybrid & Single DD IEM's on bass alone.

May 14, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #305 of 1,201
Not about balanced or Multi-BA Driver, the key word about Evo i'm interesting is "less canal resonance"

The dynamic gang Beyerdyanmic and Sennheiser give their answer : shorter nozzle with special tips, front Helmholtz resonator (absorber). I'm very interesting about the BA gang, especially ETY's answer......
The canal resonance isn't really reduced on the EVO. I know that was put other there at some point and it has propagated, but it's not an accurate statement.

May 14, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #306 of 1,201
That's awesome to hear :) Can't wait for it to come... Speaking of which, any update on pre-orders?

I don't have an update, but I'll see what info I can dig up. I've admittedly been more focused on the engineering side of things.

May 14, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #307 of 1,201
That's a difficult question to answer. In many scenarios, the differences aren't significant. OTOH, I've found, in this hobby, one person's insignificant is another person's massive difference.

So what's different? Multi-Driver is the biggest difference with two dedicated woofers. General response shape is typical Etymotic XR but the dual woofers change the feel of it a bit. Obviously the form factor is a big shift for us as well, going to the over-the-ear, in-concha style of earphone.
Thank you for that; I know it's a touchy subject, so I appreciate the candor.

Regarding the in-concha choice, seems like that must have been a huge exercise in compromise; did everybody make it through that process unharmed?

May 14, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #308 of 1,201
Regarding the in-concha choice, seems like that must have been a huge exercise in compromise; did everybody make it through that process unharmed?
I've had worse.

Black Knight (resize).jpg

May 14, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #311 of 1,201
My 4SR sounds fine out of my Note9, can't tell a difference between it and the UA1. UA2 does sound subtly better but I'm not sure if it's placebo and without an ABX rig no way to confirm for sure ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Have u bypassed the android usb audio yet?

May 15, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #313 of 1,201
The canal resonance isn't really reduced on the EVO. I know that was put other there at some point and it has propagated, but it's not an accurate statement.

That's actually good to hear, although it makes me somewhat question the new PR/marketing department's credibility.

May 15, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #314 of 1,201
That's actually good to hear, although it makes me somewhat question the new PR/marketing department's credibility.

Ultimately, the marketing folks are newer to this scene than those of us in engineering who have been working on it for a significant chunk of our lives. The onus really falls on me to clearly explain the what and how of things so that the marketing can be on point and accurate.

May 15, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #315 of 1,201
Ultimately, the marketing folks are newer to this scene than those of us in engineering who have been working on it for a significant chunk of our lives. The onus really falls on me to clearly explain the what and how of things so that the marketing can be on point and accurate.
And thank God you do, bud. I have a list about a mile long that I just had to send back to another company because they let their marketing company run rampant with claims that the product itself doesn't back up. Told them I'd appreciate a response from the engineering team instead.

They didn't seem too happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back