Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
May 20, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #332 of 1,201
Right, well I couldn't notice the difference at all, but I'm no expert. Had the chance to upgrade mine when they released them but decided against it after auditioning them locally and speaking to the engineer bloke at ety about it over email (I remember he said, "frankly, they're not really much different"). If I were buying new I guess I would've got the new version because why not, but my 10 year old ER4S are still going strong...
Very nicely concluded and a sane (and anti-trendy) environmentally sound choice. The accuracy claims of S~86% and SR~92% are already quite close :)
Hahaha. Perhaps I misquoted myself.
Could be worse, the Dutch prime minister would say "I have wrongly remembered my quote/event, but I did not lie" [which he clearly did]. Though being an engineer you cannot (and I am not accusing you of) be not a pathological liar like him of course :p

May 20, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #333 of 1,201
@EtyDave I like the following phrasing: "Purest bass" and "truest sound signature", what that means apart from the < 100 Hz shelf, we will have to see with our ears (ref: Dream Theater - Octavarium) :D Seriously though, there are some typos in the text, I guess from your marketing department: "**Etymotic wanted** Improving both reliability and performance was at the forefront of what we wanted to accomplish." Also "**Get fully immersed** into the music with the minimalistic and aesthetic design that the Linum BaX T2 cable system provides", immersed by a cable? :p

Hmm 16 kHz tops, meaning thus a full-range SR-like driver for the higher frequencies?

May 20, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #337 of 1,201
immersed by a cable? :p
Yes! :wink:

1621535791697.png

May 20, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #339 of 1,201
Hmm 16 kHz tops, meaning thus a full-range SR-like driver for the higher frequencies?
For most of Etymotic's headphones, the last "peak" in the frequency response is generally around 15-16 kHz, so I think they rate it there for that reason. Though if you look at Crinacle's plots for the ER2, you see that the last peak doesn't really drop until around 18k, yet they are still rated for 16k. Etymotic might be using a minimum threshold compared to the 1k for it to say it still produces X frequency range.

May 20, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #340 of 1,201
@EtyDave can you please check with Etymotic sales page team? I have observed that the International option does not include my country Malaysia
For most of Etymotic's headphones, the last "peak" in the frequency response is generally around 15-16 kHz, so I think they rate it there for that reason. Though if you look at Crinacle's plots for the ER2, you see that the last peak doesn't really drop until around 18k, yet they are still rated for 16k. Etymotic might be using a minimum threshold compared to the 1k for it to say it still produces X frequency range.
The better question is, can anyone actually hear beyond 16 kHz? I am pretty certain at the age of 46 I am unable to hear anything above 15k

May 20, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #341 of 1,201
Keeping my fingers crossed to be part of the tour, but I won't be pre-ordering. Good luck to everybody who can, though! Finished product looks fantastic. I think price is right on, considering the amount of R&D (and love) that went into making it. Also nice to see the dual-flange Ety tips making a comeback; really love them on the ER4XR.

@EtyDave 'twas worth the flesh wound. Congrats.

May 20, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #342 of 1,201
Keeping my fingers crossed to be part of the tour, but I won't be pre-ordering. Good luck to everybody who can, though! Finished product looks fantastic. I think price is right on, considering the amount of R&D (and love) that went into making it. Also nice to see the dual-flange Ety tips making a comeback; really love them on the ER4XR.

@EtyDave 'twas worth the flesh wound. Congrats.
If I own ETYMOTIC, I would sell EVO for $1500, lol. Just for the kick. Many other brands are selling this pedigree of IEM at $1000-3000 price range. So it's a good thing I don't own ETYMOTIC

May 20, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #343 of 1,201
@EtyDave can you please check with Etymotic sales page team? I have observed that the International option does not include my country Malaysia
Oof, that's no fun. For some reason Etymotic changed my state of residence in my profile from Illinois to Texas; I didn't catch it in time either before I pushed the order through :frowning2: Hopefully their CS sees my email and changes it though. I guess they still have time since they're likely still waiting on parts/units/supplies.
The better question is, can anyone actually hear beyond 16 kHz? I am pretty certain at the age of 46 I am unable to hear anything above 15k
I'm with you here. You're unlikely to hear that...

May 20, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #344 of 1,201
The accuracy claims of S~86% and SR~92% are already quite close
As far as I remember, old gen. 4S has the same score accuracy as the newest ones 4SR.
86% is the score of ER4P.

You know, we have dolphins roaming around here:smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back