Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
May 9, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #286 of 1,201
It's incredibly convenient if you're switching modes from listening while working to having to hop into a meeting. I don't buy the argument that having an inline mic makes an appreciable audible difference.

As software architect, my day is swiss cheese - I get about 1 to 1.5 hours to program, then I'm in a meeting / helping someone out / giving a presentation... rinse repeat all day. I'm regularly popping out my KSE1200/Z1R and putting in my Airpods Pro. Sometimes I just don't bother to switch back and enjoy the AP as it's 'good enough' though a clear step down.

The Ety isolation though is very attractive when working out of noisier environments like cafes, and if it was equipped with a mic that did a decent job of filtering outside noise it would be dream.
Exactly this. Obviously nobodys going to buy a flagship IEM just for zoom calls but having the option of taking calls in between listening sessions on the phone or laptop is very helpful. Especially when Etys are not easy to take off/put on in the first place.

* I have missed calls on purpose simply because I'm in the middle of enjoying the music and didn't want to break the isolation seal :gs1000smile:*

May 10, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #287 of 1,201
Will we get an inline mic and remote cable with this?
I asked about a Lightning cable earlier on, though that’s a harder proposition as there currently isn’t a Lighting cable with the appropriate connector. Apparently they did/were debating it though. A remote and mic would be easier to do.

May 10, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #288 of 1,201
Do you guys really plan to plug Evo into your smartphones?
I'm not aware of any smartphone with the exception of maybe Onkio Granbeat (discontinued) which is capable to drive some multidriver IEM.

May 10, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #289 of 1,201
I'm not aware of any smartphone with the exception of maybe Onkio Granbeat (discontinued) which is capable to drive some multidriver IEM.
What do you mean? Multidriver IEMs are typically not very hard to drive at all. I imagine even the Apple dongle should suffice.

May 10, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #290 of 1,201
I mean that the smartphone is not a good source for any IEM in general.
Just low Impedance and high sensitivity do not make smartphones sound better but louder.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #291 of 1,201
I mean that the smartphone is not a good source for any IEM in general.
Just low Impedance and high sensitivity do not make smartphones sound better but louder.
I use my ER4SR with a USB-C DAC dongle (Ztella) and it's absolutely fine. I guess you could also go high-end with audioquest dragonfly dongle on smartphones.

May 10, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #292 of 1,201
I use my ER4SR with a USB-C DAC dongle (Ztella) and it's absolutely fine. I guess you could also go high-end with audioquest dragonfly dongle on smartphones.
"High-end audioquest dragonfly" lol, the dragonfly series was overpriced and poorly performing when it came out and is even moreso today. Even something like the $12 Meizu HiFi dongle has vastly better performance.

May 10, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #293 of 1,201

Based on pure measured performance (i.e. without the subjective but usually not measurably reproducible "this device sounds so much better than a smartphone" bias), that's such a grossly exaggerated misconception. Additionally, "good" parts (high quality DAC and amplification chip(s)) alone don't really say much about the actual implementation - even devices with "good" internal components can perform really bad if the circuit design and implementation is just bad, and even renowned companies sometimes release a device that is flawed in several ways.
A standalone DAP from a renowned manufacturer doesn't per se guarantee better performance than a smartphone - in fact, many Apple and Samsung smartphones even measure better than many dedicated DAPs.

But then again, many people are just stuck with the idea that if it isn't a dedicated DAP, it just cannot be that good.

Additionally, Etymotic's in-ears are (I guess thankfully for some people) not very demanding/critical about the source device and don't really put much stress on it.

For PC listening, I'm mainly using the FiiO Q5 (but with the AM1 module since it's the only one with very low output impedance) instead of other devices such as my RME ADI-2 DAC that's objectively undeniably superior, just simply because the FiiO is just more convenient for this use case, whereas my RME is the more convenient device to me for CD listening.
Furthermore, I am quite happy that I eventually finally got rid of my Chord Electronics Mojo - ultimately, there are just several areas where the Q5 is better and/or more convenient, even though I have to admit that I somehow liked its quirky and unique design.

May 13, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #295 of 1,201
Regarding cable availability, keep in mind that Ultimate Ears uses the same connector on their custom IEMs (if I'm not mistaken) as the EVO (Estron T2/IPX). So any of Ultimate Ears' IPX cables (must be from UE, fakes connectors exist!) will also work. I believe they already have BT, balanced, and remote and mic cables available. I could be wrong though.

Edit: added links to UE cables. They should still work so long as Etymotic doesn't do anything weird with their T2/IPX connector (though they've done weird stuff with their MMCX in the past so who knows). I also can't speak to the quality of UE's BT cable... I think Etymotic is planning an Etymotion cable for the EVO though.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #296 of 1,201
Regarding cable availability, keep in mind that Ultimate Ears uses the same connector on their custom IEMs (if I'm not mistaken) as the EVO (Estron T2/IPX). So any of Ultimate Ears' IPX cables (must be from UE, fakes connectors exist!) will also work. I believe they already have BT, balanced, and remote and mic cables available. I could be wrong though.

Edit: added links to UE cables. They should still work so long as Etymotic doesn't do anything weird with their T2/IPX connector (though they've done weird stuff with their MMCX in the past so who knows). I also can't speak to the quality of UE's BT cable... I think Etymotic is planning an Etymotion cable for the EVO though.

It's a straight up non-recessed T2 socket. The cables are made by Estron and are interchangeable.

We had to tool up an overmold for the Etymotion, but the other cables are Estron.

May 13, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #297 of 1,201
shall Etymotic also offer a balanced cable with the Evo? or can we chose between single ended or balanced cable?

I believe balanced will be an optional accessory.

May 13, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #298 of 1,201
Do you see any benefit to a balanced connection on the Evo other than the whole more power aspect of it? I could see some benefits based on the DAP if its nominal impedance is a little wonky, but otherwise Ety has never struck me as a power-hungry IEM.

Is something different this time (aside from the obvious multi-driver arrangement)?

May 13, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #299 of 1,201

A 4-1 cable termination should be the new standard for all premium IEMs.

May 13, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #300 of 1,201
Do you see any benefit to a balanced connection on the Evo other than the whole more power aspect of it? I could see some benefits based on the DAP if its nominal impedance is a little wonky, but otherwise Ety has never struck me as a power-hungry IEM.

Is something different this time (aside from the obvious multi-driver arrangement)?
That's a difficult question to answer. In many scenarios, the differences aren't significant. OTOH, I've found, in this hobby, one person's insignificant is another person's massive difference.

So what's different? Multi-Driver is the biggest difference with two dedicated woofers. General response shape is typical Etymotic XR but the dual woofers change the feel of it a bit. Obviously the form factor is a big shift for us as well, going to the over-the-ear, in-concha style of earphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back