Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
May 8, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #271 of 1,201
I'm still waiting for pre-orders to launch... I have a feeling it's not going to start at the end of this week though.

May 9, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #276 of 1,201
Will we get an inline mic and remote cable with this?
Not a chance, but the removable cable will give you a chance for an after market solution.

May 9, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #278 of 1,201
Not a chance, but the removable cable will give you a chance for an after market solution.
very sad if true. I already spent a 100 bucks on a custom cable with mic for my ER4SR.... the overall cost of the EVO would be prohibitive if I were to get another custom cable for it.

I am just wondering if Etymotic considered the fact that their signature isolation is extremely suitable for making zoom/conference calls in the era of WFH, and not shipping a new flagship product with inline mic option is a missed opportunity?

Even Shure's Aonic line comes with inline mic by default...

May 9, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #279 of 1,201
very sad if true. I already spent a 100 bucks on a custom cable with mic for my ER4SR.... the overall cost of the EVO would be prohibitive if I were to get another custom cable for it.

I am just wondering if Etymotic considered the fact that their signature isolation is extremely suitable for making zoom/conference calls in the era of WFH, and not shipping a new flagship product with inline mic option is a missed opportunity?

There are companies like OE that make high quality, low-profile plug adapters. Perhaps they'll add in whatever we'd need if we expressed a need for it. Then, you could just use the necessary adapter and keep whatever cable you've already grown accustomed to.

May 9, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #280 of 1,201
Why do you need a flagship IEM for Zoom calls?!

May 9, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #281 of 1,201
I'm guessing that's what the ER23-HF3 is for.

But I can see wanting to so some critical listening between calls using the best of the best.

May 9, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #283 of 1,201

It's incredibly convenient if you're switching modes from listening while working to having to hop into a meeting. I don't buy the argument that having an inline mic makes an appreciable audible difference.

As software architect, my day is swiss cheese - I get about 1 to 1.5 hours to program, then I'm in a meeting / helping someone out / giving a presentation... rinse repeat all day. I'm regularly popping out my KSE1200/Z1R and putting in my Airpods Pro. Sometimes I just don't bother to switch back and enjoy the AP as it's 'good enough' though a clear step down.

The Ety isolation though is very attractive when working out of noisier environments like cafes, and if it was equipped with a mic that did a decent job of filtering outside noise it would be dream.

May 9, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #284 of 1,201
May 9, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #285 of 1,201

Why not order a pair of T2 plugs for 17€ (https://www.linum.dk/shop/buy-now/), send them along with your custom cable back to the person who made it, and ask them to reterminate it?
Btw, I tested a bunch of IEM mics a while ago and the one made by Shure sounded by far the best. If I would make a custom cable with inline remote+mic, then I'd definitely use a Shure cable as donor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back