Aka: Bennyboy71
Aka: Visions66
Aka: TheloniSphere
Aka: Muzeick
Aka: Frankleemydear
Aka: Canofcant
And many more
Hi

I've been following this site for a wee while now and while there are always lots of threads about and comparisons between such 'top tier' iems as your 53Os, MTPs, IE8s, E-Q7s etc, there doesn't seem to be the same amount of love, hate and discussion involving the ER4P and ER4S. Is that just because they're the grandparents on the scene whereas all the new multi-driver all singing all dancing upstarts are jumping around screaming for attention?

Or is it cos those ancient Etys no longer cut the proverbial mustard and should be put out to pasture?

For what its worth, I only have the ER4s but when I'm amping them through my Headsix they sound pretty damn ace to these ears. Like walking around in my own film soundtrack or something equally cheesy. Good stuff. Especially at the price.

Would be interested to know your thoughts.

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 57
Was wondering the same question!
I love my ER4P more than the Shure E500/SE530!

Maybe it's the grandaddy everyone all knows about... 'nuff said

:p

Looking to hear all your thoughts... roll them in!

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 57
Etys are still very, very good... it's just that they've been around for a while and people know they are excellent.

There are quite a few members who are loyal Ety fans. They just seem less vocal than the members who have their shiny new toys
redface.gif

Also, as a side note, the sound signature doesn't suit a lot of people (particularly those who favour HD6XX, SE530, Tfi10, etc), so those people don't pipe up about them either.

The ER4 is sublime for the price even today.

--

Given a rather popular review comparing the RE0 and ER4, a lot of people are opting for the cheaper RE0 instead. Personally I do not agree with the review and believe all of the ER4 family to be head and shoulders above the RE0, but I cannot deny the excellent bargain from head-direct.

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 57
Most probably because we haven't see any new product from Ety for over a year now, so it doesn't get too much attention at the moment. The talk for SE530 also quieted down for quite a while, but as the new SE535 was announced, it get picked up again. That is how forum works, one ride over another and always on the next big thing.

Personally, I am quite excited with the upcoming MC5 and really hope to get ER4P with P-S adapter before the end of year.

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 57
actually, Ety have released a few new products latley, the HF5, HF2, several headsets, the thing is that the ER-4 are directed at pure monitoring, they paint a lean transparent noise signature which most people who want to enjoy their music see as too plain and somewhat "dead" they want their treble to scrape their ear wax and their bass to push down their food, and thats not what the etys do,

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 57
I've had the MCe and 5 in my hands a couple of weeks ago and must say they are very exciting products; in particular, they are made very well and look drop dead gorgeous. And, in keeping with ETY tradition, they are made, though with cheaper parts than their large cousins, for a very neutral output, measuring very closely to the ER4P and S, quite amazing.

I have NOT heard one though.

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 57
ER4-P

ER4-P APS V2 xlr.jpg

And a P to S adaptor

p2s.jpg

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 57
I have had Westone UM3X and W3 and I love my ER4Ps better... with a big caveat, I have modded them (tip mod & Apuresound cable) and use Comply tips and amp them through a Minibox E+. These babys isolate like no other and give me a sound signature that is full of detail, awesome vocals, yet in this configuration I also get decent bass. Totally addictive, and in my opinion leave the Westones in their dust. Still if you can't be bothered with mods and amping then the newer triple driver IEMs are a better bet.
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #11 of 57
Yes, there will always be Ety loyalists but I also think as each year passes, there are more and more people that realize there are (perhaps) better offerings out there that are quite simlar to the ER4 but improve upon it's deficiencies. W2 and GR8 come to mind.

Mar 29, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #12 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those er4's look awesome, I bet they sound good! Is that a diy cable, I gues it must be? Dual xlr's with a balanced amp might be a bit much on the underground though??

They are done by Alex at APureSound. I will admit that they get very little use these days but when I do use them I am again and again reminded what great phones they are and how magically they scale so while I have several times considered putting them up for sale I don't think I ever will.

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #14 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the MCe and 5 in my hands a couple of weeks ago and must say they are very exciting products; in particular, they are made very well and look drop dead gorgeous. And, in keeping with ETY tradition, they are made, though with cheaper parts than their large cousins, for a very neutral output, measuring very closely to the ER4P and S, quite amazing.

I have NOT heard one though.

Got any pics?
atsmile.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #15 of 57
ER4P is definitely an IEM that doesn't get the hype it should nowadays. Personally I don't think I could live with the small amount of bass, so I went the closest I could, which was the Westone 2, and I'm more than happy. If I had the money for amps and cable upgrades I'd take the ER4P/S any day, but since that is not realistic for me, I'll have to stick with the W2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back