Etymotic Love?
Mar 29, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #16 of 57
The ER4 is still a top-tier earphone, it's just an old design, so doesn't benefit from all the hype and discussion that happens when new models come out like most of the ones you listed above. To this day, although I don't own a pair anymore, it's the best pair of IEMs I've heard aside from a universal version of the JH13 that was on display at a show last year. I preferred it to the TF10, W3, SE530, UM3x, and others when I compared briefly.

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #17 of 57
Whilst a great IEM, my only issue with the ER4-S is that it can't produce really low bass. I don't like the bass to overwhelm my music, but at thesame time I like an IEM that extends deep on the low end.

Saying that I'm yet to find an IEM that isolates as well as my Er4-S

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #18 of 57
These IEMs have been around a LONG time. Initially, they were so far ahead of everyone else and they had little competition. Nowadays, other manufacturers have closed the gap, and some have, maybe equaled or surpassed the ER-4 - but at a MUCH higher price point. They've simply been around for TOO long to be continually generating buzz on the forums - and they've remained essentially unchanged since their introduction.

I've been an ER-4 guy for a LONG time, and over the years, I've sold off my pair, to try the newest flavor of the month, only to later buy 'em again. I've done this 3 times. Now that I have a larger discretionary income, I just keep my ER-4 while I try the FOM IEMs (my latest being the Monster Turbine Coppers).

To my ears, no other IEMs have given me greater aural satisfaction than the ER-4. I also use them occasionally on my home rig with the (S) cable attached. I love the absolute clarity and intimacy they bring.

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #19 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whilst a great IEM, my only issue with the ER4-S is that it can't produce really low bass. I don't like the bass to overwhelm my music, but at thesame time I like an IEM that extends deep on the low end.

Saying that I'm yet to find an IEM that isolates as well as my Er4-S

I don't agree with that, I find that the ER4 can produce bass as low as my ears can hear it and it is extremely precise but it is not very prominent and it takes very good amplification to really make it shine

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't agree with that, I find that the ER4 can produce bass as low as my ears can hear it and it is extremely precise but it is not very prominent and it takes very good amplification to really make it shine

I'd like to corroborate this...

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #22 of 57
I've been using my er4p's for 6 or 7 years now. I have Shure 530's and like them both but usually find myself using the etymotics more often than not.

Aside from the great sound and price etymotic's customer service is outstanding - I sent my original headphones in for repair after I accidentally got the headphone cord stuck in my bike gears. They tested the headphones, found one started to crack (I had no idea) and just send me the newer version and only charged me for a new cable.

I also think these are some of the most durable iem's on the market.

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #23 of 57
I think the product is so good those of us that have tried them just keep using them. I've had the same pair for about 5 years and use them regularly. I've listened to some stuff over the years and just find nothing else really compares for the uses I have for them.

They're my mowing, flying, lying, and seclusion headphones. The only headphones I use more are my HF-2 and that's because they're at work.

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #24 of 57
I love you people. Your comments make me feel even more proud to be a true Ety believer....

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennyboy71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love you people. Your comments make me feel even more proud to be a true Ety believer....

only YOUR ears can make you a true believer...take others' words with a grain of salt...

however, I do like to support a company who does things the right way.

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennyboy71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

More people should be members...

Team Etymotic

...and only one pic. What's up with that
confused.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #27 of 57
9 years ago the Etys would compete with the Grado's Hp1000 for 2nd place following Sony's R10. Electrostatic owners to rate O2 , and Orpheus were just a handful then.

Today everybody in the neighborhood has come up with his IEM and has added drivers first 2 then 3 then duals and so on. (And Etymotics does not advertise is a relatively large and American company).

Multiples drivers with complex crossovers are no much for well designed single driver crossovers sets.

But not everybody is just everybody there are people with history and research behind them and if you like live music with sub-woofer bass and horn type dynamics there is Klipsch (99% of research has been done by Etymotics and Klipsh the rest of the guys are marketeers with multiple bells and whistles).

IEMS despite being easily driven and sensitive do scale significantly with amps and good quality tips made from the proper material and with an appropriate shape. I think this is why today the Etys are not as good. They need better tips re cabling and to be driven by quality amps.

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More people should be members...

Team Etymotic

...and only one pic. What's up with that
confused.gif

Ha. I didn't know this place had teams. Consider me joined.

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are done by Alex at APureSound. I will admit that they get very little use these days but when I do use them I am again and again reminded what great phones they are and how magically they scale so while I have several times considered putting them up for sale I don't think I ever will.

What tips are they on your etys mate?

Are they smaller or larger than the triflanges?

I've never had any problems with the etys producing frequencies that are evident in music. I'm not sure they would produce 20hz convincingly, but not many headphones do IMVHO. It's essentially a useless frequency anyhow.

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #30 of 57
Another ER4P lover checking in here. Although I prefer my Ie8 over them because of its more natural/organic and what I consider to be more musical presentation. I personally don't think that an unequivocal upgrade from the ER4P is possible within the realm of universal IEMs. I still don't consider them to reproduce a natural sound though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back