Etymotic HF5 Tips
Sep 22, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #46 of 91
I almost forgot. The Klipsch do not fit the entire length of the HF5 barrels but that has not proved to be an issue. Also the design of the Klipsch  keeps the wax protecting plugs in place equal to any of the Etymotic tips.

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #47 of 91

Quote:
I almost forgot. The Klipsch do not fit the entire length of the HF5 barrels but that has not proved to be an issue. Also the design of the Klipsch  keeps the wax protecting plugs in place equal to any of the Etymotic tips.

This worries me a little - does it seem like there's any chance the tips could come off in your ears and get stuck?  Although if you're not inserting them that far then it should be ok probably.

Just to make sure, these are the ones you're talking about, right (http://www.klipsch.com/oval-ear-tips-medium)?  Not the double flange ones?  Is there any better place to buy them than the Klipsch website?  Do they wear out like foams or do they basically last forever?

Also, can anyone else chime in with a comparison to the Olives?  Thanks for all the advice guys!

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #48 of 91
Bumppity bump bump 
atsmile.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #49 of 91
Only place to buy them is Klipsch.
They are not foam and will virtually last forever.
Definitely my favorite tips for Etymotic products.
I'd swear by them but... "By Klipsch Gel Tips!" sounds ridiculous.

Quote:

This worries me a little - does it seem like there's any chance the tips could come off in your ears and get stuck?  Although if you're not inserting them that far then it should be ok probably.

Just to make sure, these are the ones you're talking about, right (http://www.klipsch.com/oval-ear-tips-medium)?  Not the double flange ones?  Is there any better place to buy them than the Klipsch website?  Do they wear out like foams or do they basically last forever?

Also, can anyone else chime in with a comparison to the Olives?  Thanks for all the advice guys!

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #50 of 91

Quote:
Only place to buy them is Klipsch.
They are not foam and will virtually last forever.
Definitely my favorite tips for Etymotic products.
I'd swear by them but... "By Klipsch Gel Tips!" sounds ridiculous.

I've ordered a set of the medium oval tips, will report back on how they are once I get them (probably next week sometime).

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #52 of 91

Quote:
Really quite certain you'll like them!

Well, the Klipsch medium oval tips have come in.  Maybe it's just a size issue, but I can't get any sort of seal with them at all - deep insertion, shallow insertion, doesn't matter.  Very disappointing to say the least.  I haven't even tried playing any music yet (I'm at work), but I don't see how they can sound decent at all with no seal, and even if they somehow do, I need a good deal more isolation.  I'm definitely returning these - is it worth it to try the large ovals, or should I just give up on this eartip style?  The medium Shure olives fit great.

I will say that they are made of very soft silicone, so if they created a seal I'm sure they'd be very comfortable.

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #54 of 91

Quote:
I never used the medium but only the large. I had no problem getting a seal with them. They also have fantastic isolation. I'd return and try a large!

Alright, mediums shipped back to Klipsch, larges ordered.  I'll report back once I get them.  In the meantime, the Shure olives have continued to work well - we'll see if the Klipsch tips can measure up! 
o2smile.gif

Oct 19, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #56 of 91

Quote:
Have the large tips arrived yet?

No they haven't actually - send Klipsch an email asking for order status (since the free shipping method has no tracking number), they haven't gotten back to me yet. Kinda bummed, really want to try them out. I'll be sure to post on here whenever they arrive!

Oct 19, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #57 of 91

Quote:
No they haven't actually - send Klipsch an email asking for order status (since the free shipping method has no tracking number), they haven't gotten back to me yet. Kinda bummed, really want to try them out. I'll be sure to post on here whenever they arrive!

Thanks! Looking forward to your thoughts as a fellow Shure olive enthusiast. If you could compare the difference in insertion depth between the two (olives vs ovals) that would be much appreciated. Especially because it sounds like we have the same size ears.

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #58 of 91
So the Large Eargels finally came in - no idea why shipping took almost two weeks.  First off, this is definitely the size you want if the medium Olives are comfortable.  I'll have to try them out some more, but in terms of initial observations, they are very comfortable and easy to put in, and I only need to get them about half as far in as I stuff the Olives to get a seal.  Isolation seems to be slightly lower than the Olives, and music seems to sound the way it should - I'll be listening to them on the commute home, I should have a better idea about both of those topics later tonight.

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #59 of 91
Well, long story short - I'm returning the Eargels.

In my left ear, which seems to be pretty normally shaped, I can get a good seal with relatively shallow insertion with the Eargels.  Isolation using this method is not as good as with the Olives, but not bad, and they should be very usable that way, and definitely more comfortable than the Olives.  My right ear, however, seems to be very strangely shaped, and I couldn't for the life of me get a seal in it with the Eargels, no matter how shallow or deep I stuck the tip.  This, plus the fact that isolation is better with the Olives, outweighs the fact that I need to stick them very deep in my ears to get the seal I want.

So there you have it. The Eargels are nice tips, but for my ears specifically, and for what I want out of them, the Olives are a better fit.  Hope all this helps someone who's in a similar position I was in to start.

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #60 of 91
My HF5 arrived one week ago from Amazon USA, and wow..I really like them even though the only agreeable tips are the ugly gliders. They were a bit hard to insert but once settled inside the ears, the sound were so clear. Detailed but not that bright.

This morning I put the Shure foam tips on, they were a little bit harder to slide on the HF5, but I managed. Then when I tried to pull them off this happened:

I can't believe it...my one-week old pair of HF5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back