Etymotic HF5 or Audeo PFE?
Nov 30, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #16 of 40
Anybody who owns both and can give me a detailed comparison please? :)

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #17 of 40
Get the Etymotic HF3's which is what I have, they're HF5's but with a remote on it and with a high quality mic (High quality because the sound recording is noticeably better over the stock apple headphones and another pair that I tested). If your not looking for bass, the Ety's are the ones you need. The isolation on them is also just WONDERFUL! I strongly recommend you get a pair of shure olives (Foam tips used by Shure) as they noticeably improve the bass and isolation as well as comfort.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #18 of 40

Quote:
Get the Etymotic HF3's which is what I have, they're HF5's but with a remote on it and with a high quality mic (High quality because the sound recording is noticeably better over the stock apple headphones and another pair that I tested). If your not looking for bass, the Ety's are the ones you need. The isolation on them is also just WONDERFUL! I strongly recommend you get a pair of shure olives (Foam tips used by Shure) as they noticeably improve the bass and isolation as well as comfort.

Can definitely agree with the isolation. Sometimes I just use them like earplugs. When I'm walking around on the street, atleast like 90% of the noise is blocked out.

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #19 of 40

Quote:
Thanks for the info! :D

Thanks for the info! :D But if i use Shure soft flex tips it will be comfortable on the HF5 right? xD Have you tried both of them,the PFE and HF5? If so,which is more clearer and detailed? and which has a more lively/realistic sound? and may i know what treble extension is? :p

I have both of them in front of me and use the shure soft flex tips on my HF5s, because of the deep insertion of the HF5 they get uncomfortable after a little time. The differences you are looking for is very minimal, if I had to choose the HF5 barely beats out on both detail and lively/realistic sound. Treble extension is how high the treble goes before it starts to roll off.

Once again I would choose the PFE if I had to, but saying that they are both great IEMs.

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #20 of 40
Think I'll have to try the Shure tips as people keep recommending them, currently using the large triple flanges and don't find them too uncomfortable.

As others have said the isolation from the Etymotic's is staggering.

The treble at higher volumes was harsh and a little distorted at first so I left some pink noise playing through them for 8 hours and that sorted them out. Overall I think they sound fantastic!

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #21 of 40
Excuse me.

Have they fixed the cracking problems?

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #23 of 40
A vote for the PFE.

I simply think that the Ety lineup is usuitable for that type of music. For me, even bassier phones like DBA-02 don't quite cut it for me.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #24 of 40
My first pair of PFE had the housing crack issue and it was NOT because I crushed them. My second pair had cracked cable at the housing. My third pair( still replaced under warranty) also have a cracked cable at the housing. I love the PFE comfort and SQ but the quality control was ( and I hope not still is) lacking.

I use my ER4P with my XM5 amp and the bass is excellent with bass boost.

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #25 of 40

Quote:

Thanks for your advice! will keep that in mind. :)

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #26 of 40

Quote:
I have both of them in front of me and use the shure soft flex tips on my HF5s, because of the deep insertion of the HF5 they get uncomfortable after a little time. The differences you are looking for is very minimal, if I had to choose the HF5 barely beats out on both detail and lively/realistic sound. Treble extension is how high the treble goes before it starts to roll off.

Once again I would choose the PFE if I had to, but saying that they are both great IEMs.

you say you would choose the HF5, then you say you would choose the PFE? O.o  Umm.. which has better overall ( clarity,bass,soundstage,cohesiveness,details ) or more satisfying sound quality?

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #27 of 40

Quote:
A vote for the PFE.

I simply think that the Ety lineup is usuitable for that type of music. For me, even bassier phones like DBA-02 don't quite cut it for me.

you have tried both the PFE and HF5? If so could you give me a detailed description of how they sound like in comparison please? :)

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #28 of 40
The cracking problems on the PFE don't bother you?

No service centres in SG, iirc. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #29 of 40
Dec 2, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #30 of 40
This may not help you as much as you'd like because I've not heard the PFE but I have owned the HF5 for about 2 years now, so I can tell you that they are fantastic headphones, especially for the price.

If inserted properly into your ear canals they are amazing for sound isolation (yep, perfect for screaming kids on planes
wink.gif
)  and do not lack bass if you push them far in enough (I use the black foam tips).  Although I own the LCD2 rev1s which have great bass, these HF5s are perfectly fine for me as IEMs where bass is concerned.

Clarity and separation - I don't need to add anything to what other people have said....the HF5s are fantastic.

There are better IEMs out there but for the price you can get the HF5s, I don't think you can beat them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back