Etymotic HF5 or Audeo PFE?
Nov 30, 2011 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

WaLaoEh

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm very new to this forum and this is my first time posting,so please be nice. :)

I'm kind of stuck between the Etymotic HF5 and the Audeo PFE. I've heard the HF5(with Shure soft flex tips) before and I really loved it, it sounded crystal clear with just enough bass to satisfy my taste, it was comfortable too! However, the Audeo PFEs has many rave reviews and I've read that it has more bass than the HF5. 

I'm actually looking for an IEM which is very clear,detailed and lively, with decent bass, and is comfortable over long periods.
I listen to Taylor Swift, Daughtry , Katy Perry , Maroon 5 , Demi Lovato , Starfield , Selena Gomez , Jason Mraz , Hillsong , Bruno Mars , Avril Lavigne , and Adam Lambert.

Listening from my : Ipod Touch 4G , and HTC Sensation XE..
with most songs at 320kbps, all torrent. xD

So which of the two is better given the above criteria? And which one sounds clearer? And how does the soundstage and separation compare between the two? I hope you guys can help! :)

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 40
bump!

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 40
Is there really no one? :frowning2:

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 40
If you like bass, you'd be better off looking at other dynamic driver models around that range. i haven't heard any, so i wont comment, but the best way is to head down to places like stereo or jaben to demo them out yourself

Side Note: Your User Name is awesome, and bumping is only allowed once every 24 hours

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 40
ok thanks! but bass isnt my priority, clarity and detail is, comfort too. :) 
btw i demoed the hf5 at stereo. and i heard Audeo PFEs are arriving at Jaben soon. 
Thanks! xD Oh and thanks for the tip! :D

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 40
Well, Etymotic is known for their clarity after all, so i guess you cant go wrong there. The characteristics of BAs, which is the type driver used in the PFEs are also known for more of lighter, more detailed sound. As i said i haven't heard either, so someone please correct me if i'm wrong

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 40
I haven't heard the Phonak, but had the HF5 for several months before moving up to the ER-4P.  I think you would be happy with either choice.  The HF5 responds to EQ very well and you can give it some warmth and bottom end without comprimising the mids, highs and clarity.   I don't know about the Phonak build- and long-term quality, but the HF5 (and ER4) is one of the toughest phones out there -- very few problems with long-term use.

Fit may also be another issue.  Again, I haven't tried the Phonak, but he HF5 is very easy to wear -- and you get a good selection of different size and types of tips to get a good fit.

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 40

Quote:
I haven't heard the Phonak, but had the HF5 for several months before moving up to the ER-4P.  I think you would be happy with either choice.  The HF5 responds to EQ very well and you can give it some warmth and bottom end without comprimising the mids, highs and clarity.   I don't know about the Phonak build- and long-term quality, but the HF5 (and ER4) is one of the toughest phones out there -- very few problems with long-term use.

Fit may also be another issue.  Again, I haven't tried the Phonak, but he HF5 is very easy to wear -- and you get a good selection of different size and types of tips to get a good fit.

Thanks for your thoughts! Btw how do you find the soundstage and separation on the HF5?  :)

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #9 of 40

Quote:

+1, I have the HF5's and like the poster said just adjust the EQ and you can get the bass to sound much more full with greater depth.

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #10 of 40
The HF5 and PFE with grey filters are closer in sound signature then you think. The PFE has slightly more bass impact and maybe slightly less treble extension then the HF5. I would go for the PFEs mainly for their fit and comfort. The HF5s do isolate more but become uncomfortable in my ears after about 1-2 hours of usage (mainly itching and such from deep insertion). In addition if you ever wanted more bass, you can just swap the filters on the PFE.

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:
... how do you find the soundstage and separation on the HF5?  :)

As with the whole Ety line, the separation is outstanding -- on good recordings, each instrument can be clearly heard.  Soundstage is decent -- not the best I've heard, but not "fake-3D" like I've heard from other phones.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 40

Quote:
+1, I have the HF5's and like the poster said just adjust the EQ and you can get the bass to sound much more full with greater depth.

Thanks for the info! :D

Quote:
The HF5 and PFE with grey filters are closer in sound signature then you think. The PFE has slightly more bass impact and maybe slightly less treble extension then the HF5. I would go for the PFEs mainly for their fit and comfort. The HF5s do isolate more but become uncomfortable in my ears after about 1-2 hours of usage (mainly itching and such from deep insertion). In addition if you ever wanted more bass, you can just swap the filters on the PFE.

Thanks for the info! :D But if i use Shure soft flex tips it will be comfortable on the HF5 right? xD Have you tried both of them,the PFE and HF5? If so,which is more clearer and detailed? and which has a more lively/realistic sound? and may i know what treble extension is? :p

Quote:
As with the whole Ety line, the separation is outstanding -- on good recordings, each instrument can be clearly heard.  Soundstage is decent -- not the best I've heard, but not "fake-3D" like I've heard from other phones.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 40

Quote:

Thanks for your help! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back