Etymotic HF3 with iPhone 4S - atmosphere sound while on phonecall
Nov 16, 2011 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

adventure5566

New Head-Fier
Hey

I just picked up a new pair of HF3s and they sound great. Just one concern though - whenever I'm on a call using these headsets, the mic activates and I could hear everything around me through my earbuds. Does anyone else have the same issue? I heard that it may be an iOS issue with the iPhone 4S being that it 'allows the caller on the iPhone hear what the other end could hear through the earbuds using the headset's mic', but nothing's been confirmed...When I switch back to music, the mic turns off and everything goes back to normal.

Is this something that's expected with these pairs of headphones?

I'm just concerned if I received a defective unit and should return them for another pair...

Thanks!!

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 9
I do have the same problem with my Iphone 4 driving a pair of SE535. Thinking that I might got a faulty Iphone, I went around trying out random Iphone 4 of friends and relatives and it happens to all the iphone 4 I tried with. Don't be too bothered with it so long it doesn't degrade the music quality. Cheers
 Edit: It also happens to with my M50, SE215 and CKS90 & CX300. So I think it's normal.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #3 of 9
My HF3's do this with my iphone 4.  I thought this was normal.  It doesn't bother me much.  In fact, it allows me to know how the person on the other end is hearing me, I think.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for letting me know. I was at a busy store yesterday and while I was put on hold, I was literally able to hear conversations around me (a la eavesdrop *gasp). It was annoying to have to hear the everything around me when...well, I did buy a noise canceling set of earphones haven't I? :frowning2:

Okay, well if someone else could chime in also, that'd be great :) But it's a relief at least that I'm not the only one having the issues. I guess I won't need to return my HF3s after all (knocks on wood) :)

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Okay, I guess I'll just have to get used to it :) Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I got the Awareness app yesterday and they're awesome! I just wish that it had an equalizer as well...not having equalizers for apps that I use for streaming music (like Pandora) sucks. :frowning2:

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 9
Hi!
I picked up a pair of hf3s last month, and I'm having trouble with 
my iPhone 4S not recognizing the headphones at all... after pressing the play button on the remote it then suddenly works, that doesn't imply that the play button then works as it should. And the remote doesn't work properly, only the middle play/pause button seems to work... (the volume buttons have worked a couple of times, but normally they're dead).
Does anyone have a similar problem with them or is it just me and I should get them replaced? Or is it my 4S? (My ipad has similar problems with the etymotics)

Thanks!

phy

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm not sure if it's the same issue but my first pair of HF3s became unresponsive along with static. It went away after I pressed a few buttons but it was an annoying defect.

I ended up getting it replaced with a new one and haven't had any problems so far (knock on wood). I'm thinking that your unit is defective - if you could make the switch, I'd do it.

Good luck!

---------------
Digital Cupcake (http://www.digitalcupcake.net)

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 9
mmh... seems that I'll have to get them replaced. Thanks for the reply.
I'd wager there's something wrong with them anyways - this morning they miraculously started working as they should during my commute, but later in the day the buttons stopped working again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back