Etymotic hf3 Review
Jul 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #31 of 94
Thanks for the replies. I think they are improving, or maybe I'm learning to fit them. They definitely are unforgiving towards source material, that's for sure.

I also installed some Comply tips, which helps with fit and comfort.

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #34 of 94
I keep hearing about the Shure olives but is that just the nick name for the foam tips Shure makes?  I have not seen any product on Shure's website for Olives.  It would be nice if they had a multipack with different sizes.  I just purchased the HF3's and I can't wait to get them.

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #35 of 94

Quote:
I keep hearing about the Shure olives but is that just the nick name for the foam tips Shure makes?  I have not seen any product on Shure's website for Olives.  It would be nice if they had a multipack with different sizes.  I just purchased the HF3's and I can't wait to get them.

LOL, I answered this question today too...  They are called the Shure Foam Sleeves (they are black in color and not yellow/orange).  IDK which ones fit the HF3s though (they have 2 models of Foam Sleeves if I'm not mistaken; one for thin nozzles and one for thicker ones).

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #36 of 94

Quote:

yeah, shure makes foam tips, which kind of look like olives. They also make silicon tips that REALLY look like olives... So, be careful. all 3 sizes of the olives should fit right on the hf3. I use small, but I have really small ears. Most people are happy with the middle ones. 

Quote:
LOL, I answered this question today too...  They are called the Shure Foam Sleeves (they are black in color and not yellow/orange).  IDK which ones fit the HF3s though (they have 2 models of Foam Sleeves if I'm not mistaken; one for thin nozzles and one for thicker ones).

yup, shure foam sleeves. I don't think they have two different ones for thin and thick. But, I could be wrong. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #37 of 94

Quote:
yup, shure foam sleeves. I don't think they have two different ones for thin and thick. But, I could be wrong. 

Nevermind, I was thinking of their flex (silicone) sleeves, they have two versions of these (black and grey). 

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #40 of 94

Quote:

Kinda new here, but I've had the HF3's for a couple of months.  I love them - awesome isolation, nice flat frequency response - but am really frustrated with the tips.  
- The foam ones are really comfy when new, but get too waxy (and uncomfortable) too quickly AND come unglued from the plastic.
- The new "gliders" are super comfy for long periods of time and have good isolation, but crack and fall apart (!) quickly.
- The gray triple-flanges - I can deal with ear rape, but the actual material just isn't very comfortable for my ears.
- The small clear triple-flanges aren't big enough to seal in my ears.

I bought some foam sleeves for Shures - these ones:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055XHMXK  
However, they don't fit right on the HF3's; they just fall off - the inner diameter of the tips is too large for the HF3s.  Can someone send me a link to the right Shure olive tips?  This has been a pretty frustrating experience, and though I love the isolation and sound of the Ety's, without good (and durable!) tips, they're quickly becoming not worth the hassle.

Are these the right ones?  http://www.amazon.com/Shure-PA910M-Replacement-SE530PTH-Earphones/dp/B000NDHIKY/ref=pd_cp_e_1

And Etymotic, are you reading this?  Your ear tips are crap - you need to fix it.  The gliders are a great start, but they aren't durable enough.  Neither are the foam ones.  This is obviously a known issue here on Head-Fi, and many reviews on Amazon mention this, as well.  

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #45 of 94
I got the HF3 a couple of months ago and have been listening to it steadily. I also have the ER4s. I just wanted to accentuate how much better the ER4 is accross the board. The HF3 actually sounds a bit less clinical and less bright which is nice, but the ER4 was more than slightly better IMHO.

Also, if you are an Ety lover, you might want to see if you can track down an old Xin amp. They are tuned for them. And really round both the HF3 and ER4 out with bass boost, crossfeed, and P to S adapter. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back