Etymotic hf3 Review
Nov 20, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #47 of 94
Thank you for the great review!  With the great price currently at Amazon - $130, I couldn't pass.  While I'm in general happy with the sound quality, the tips provided are not so good as noted by several people in this thread.  The real deal-breaker for me is that you can't wear them with the cable over the ear since it makes the control/mic nearly useless.  I tried calling my wife on my way home from work and the experience DID NOT make her happy.  My attempt to unloop the cable from my ear and hold it by my mouth didn't help any either (in hind-sight, I probably had my thumb over the mic hole while trying to hold it).  I had sent an e-mail to Etymotic hoping for a better solution but this thread has me believing that for me and my wearing of cables over the ears will have them sent back despite sound quality and isolation that I find quite enjoyable :frowning2:

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #49 of 94
There are two deals going for under $100. 1 from a 3rd party on Amazon, 1 from Amazon. 

Just tried the HF5 today, and their bass was actually a lot more than I expected. Very precise, toned bass. No boominess. They reach pretty deep into the sub-bass too, so I don't think these will be a problem for hip-hop lovers.

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #50 of 94
These are my favorite iems. I'm the kind of person who likes options. My favorite setup is the Hf3s with custom tips, inline volume control, a Fiio E6 amp on the 1st bass boost, and an LOD. I turn the E6 almost all the way up and use the inline volume as intended. To my humble ears they sound, isolate, and feel better than any Shure or Klipsch I've put in my head, and I get the option to use the mic and controls. The whole set up cost me around $280. Can't beat it. 

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #51 of 94
There is no problem wearing this over-the-ear if you don't intend to use the mic, right? Like the mic isn't so heavy that it'll displace the earphone from your ear or anything.

Nov 29, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #54 of 94
Great review!

I've been using mine on my iPhone for the last few days and been really impressed, then today I tried them on the iMac and they sound a lot better.

I assume its the extra power they're getting?

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #55 of 94

Quote:
Great review!

I've been using mine on my iPhone for the last few days and been really impressed, then today I tried them on the iMac and they sound a lot better.

I assume its the extra power they're getting?

If both are set at the same level, I think the power they get should be more or less the same. Maybe your iMac has a better DAC/soundcard/audiocodec in it. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #56 of 94
I have no idea to be honest, they are far louder on the iMac, I have to keep the volume quite a bit lower while on the iPhone I'm getting past 3/4's

Also more bass and just generally sound better. I put all this down to them getting more power but as you can tell I'm new to all this.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #57 of 94

Quote:
I have no idea to be honest, they are far louder on the Mac, I have to keep the volume quite a bit lower while on the iPhone I'm getting past 3/4's

Also more bass and just generally sound better. I put all this down to them getting more power but as you can tell I'm new to all this.

huh, the hf3s have pretty low impedance (16 ohms), so your iphone should have no problem powering them. i use an amp, but really just for the eq settings. i find that the iphone eq "adds more bass" turning down the mids and treble. when i want the amp to add more bass, that's exactly what it does.

also, if your turning your iphone up to 3/4, then you are either not wearing them deep enough, or you need to see an audiologist.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #58 of 94
Since I downloaded EQu I've noticed a definite improvement in the sound quality.

I don't think I could get them any further in, I'm using the larger triple flange which seems ok, when I use the small one they go so far in the wire is pushing into my outer ear and I don't feel like the seal is as good.

I do have slight bit of tinnitus, I like my music loud and it has gotten a little worse over the past week.

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #59 of 94
I've been purposely staying off of Head-Fi for the last 2+ years (an addict's gotta go cold turkey!), but had to get back on to see some reviews of iPhone-compatible earphones after my custom Freqs were stolen out of my car.

Writing to say how thrilled I am with the HF3 that I bought on Sunday after reading this thread. It helped that the HF3s were $78 on unadvertised clearance at local Best Buy. And it will be even cooler when I get my custom ear molds (getting impressions next week).

They HF3 sound very good straight out of my iPhone 3GS. The isolation with really amateur- and gross-looking "slider" plugs is outstanding. I tried the triple flanges (small, probably should've tried large) and thought they were seriously awful. Hope the custom molds will look better, last longer and help with SQ compared to sliders. As expected, bass is lighter, but it is definitely there. The bass and sound overall are even better out of my Pico and Gilmour Lite. Clarity and instrument positioning were real "wow" surprises.

Will try to post a few more impressions later, if I'm not purposefully staying off Head-Fi again for another few years.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back