Etymotic hf3 Review
May 13, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #16 of 94

Quote:
quick question for you.. I've got the small olives on my MC5's (yes, I know you aren't fond of these) Irregardless, I'm wondering why there is a gap in between my small olives and the housing on the mc5's, it seems that you don't have a gap.. Should I push the tip on further?

you know i reviewed the mc3 too? just seems odd to ask about them here rather than there but anyway... yes push them on further.  if you want to that is, if you have no problems with them not fully on then do what works for you.

May 13, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #17 of 94

Quote:
you know i reviewed the mc3 too? just seems odd to ask about them here rather than there but anyway... yes push them on further.  if you want to that is, if you have no problems with them not fully on then do what works for you.

I actually found the review by looking through google images :). Kind of a round about way, but I figured you would be nice and respond. I might go ahead and push them on further.. They way I have them right now they are kind of fitting like gliders, I'm liking it.. We'll see.

Thanks mark

May 16, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #19 of 94
I've been using the hf3's for about half a year. I must say it takes some time to get used to etymotics earbuds. You press them half way into your brain, it starts to hurt after 15-20 minutes and the day after you start wondering if you have come down with some ear bug because your ears are protesting… after 4-6 months of intermittent use however, i've started to get used to the buds. not that i love them or anything - they are still extremely uncomfortable but I've gotten used to them… The sound is very very good if you look at the price tag. And if you have 'mounted' them correctly in your scull meaning that you make a vacuum in your ear canal using the earbuds. Yes it is uncomfortable. On the plus side, you effectively shut out all external noises making these ear phones perfect for traveling on a plane or a train or just plain ignoring your wife's friends. All in all great ear phones. But… The microphonic cables are terrible. I wont say that I love these ear phones, but I like the sound of them despite their torture. But the microphonic cable puts me off. You have to be perfectly still while using the headphones - otherwise the noise while moving shatters the sound. Even breathing (very shallowly) while the cable lies on your stomach destroys any great sound these earbuds may have. That makes the earphones unusable in the car, while working out, walking the dog or just about anything where you move your body. And even sitting still you still spend a lot of time arranging the cable so that you are not disturbed by it. If the cable had been dead, I'd given the headphones a 5/6. Cable is not dead, and combined with the annoyances and the lack of comfort i'll give these headphones a solid 2/6.

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #20 of 94
Excellent review! I'm looking to pick up a pair so I can have the ER-4 sound "to go" 
etysmile.gif
 The mic and remote are a nice feature also, since it's a pain (literally) to yank a pair of Etys out of your ears to answer the phone.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #21 of 94
I bought a pair of HF3s from Amazon this week. They came on Monday and the right headphone was totally borked -- all crackles and static. While I was waiting for a replacement pair to arrive I experimented with the fit and found that the only tips that worked for me are the black foam ones. I also found I needed to do the ear tug to get them set deeply enough to get isolation and bass response.

Replacement pair came today, and they're much better. Glad I know how to fit them now, because that's so key. (If these have no bass for you, they're not fitting in your ear right.)

However, I still hear a bit of scratchy grit in the highs. That surprises me as I always heard these had great treble. Anyone else have this problem with static or scratchiness? Is the mythical burn-in likely to help at all?

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #22 of 94

Quote:
I bought a pair of HF3s from Amazon this week. They came on Monday and the right headphone was totally borked -- all crackles and static. While I was waiting for a replacement pair to arrive I experimented with the fit and found that the only tips that worked for me are the black foam ones. I also found I needed to do the ear tug to get them set deeply enough to get isolation and bass response.

Replacement pair came today, and they're much better. Glad I know how to fit them now, because that's so key. (If these have no bass for you, they're not fitting in your ear right.)

However, I still hear a bit of scratchy grit in the highs. That surprises me as I always heard these had great treble. Anyone else have this problem with static or scratchiness? Is the mythical burn-in likely to help at all?

I'd definitely suggest burning them in.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #23 of 94

Quote:
I'd definitely suggest burning them in.

I second that, if the HF3 is anything like the ER6i and ER4. However, Ety's are sort of the Grados of the IEM world (albeit much more balanced IMHO). I found them to be very sibilant when I wasn't getting a good fit, but when I was they sounded fine.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #24 of 94

Quote:

well i can agree a bit, ety i find dont have the wolrds most refined highs, these are a little bit grainy and gritty but what i actually suspect your hearing is not their fault.  these require high bit rate music and if possible well mastered music too, the source your using too could be causing issue.

what is your source and what bit rate are you using?

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #25 of 94
About the source file, I agree 150% Mark! A friend had borrowed me the Avatar soundtrack in 320kbps MP3, I could not stand listening to it over my iPhone4 with my Ety HF3s. I re-ripped the CD in M4A (Apple lossless) and infinitely better, there is no more crackling on many tracks. Needless to say, I've got most of my collection all re-ripped in lossless now to accommodate the HF3s and the more recent Klipsch Custom3s and Westone 4s.

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #27 of 94

Quote:
can anyone confirm if you are able to wear the HF3s around the ear due to the microphone on the wire?

Wearing the hf3 around the ear will place the mic/remote in the wrong position.  The mic and controls are designed to hang right about at the jaw line on the right-hand side.  If you have any product questions, feel free to email me direct at r_carlson@etymotic.com if you like! 

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #28 of 94

Quote:
can anyone confirm if you are able to wear the HF3s around the ear due to the microphone on the wire?

yes you can.  the mic sits rather high and it looks a bit stupid but i found it works just fine.  that said its not like its something i use regularly so im jsut going by the specific test calls.  i didi once use it while on a bus and it worked fine but like i said its not something i have used frequently.

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #29 of 94
I was on a call just the other day with my HF3s and my brother gave me heck after saying it was nearly impossible to hear me when I was wearing them over the ear. I only found this out after I spoke with him in person later that night. I'll have to test again and see, but there have been mentions when I'm outside and walking/on the bus/doing that it is harder to hear when wearing the HF3s over the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back