etymotic hf 5 vs hf3 vs westone 1
Aug 10, 2011 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Banshee77

100+ Head-Fier
Im looking at all of these buds and I would like to know which of the three would be best for bass since i listen to lots of dubstep but also which of them could handle music like mumford and sons passion pit mgmt death cab for cutie etc please help me

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 3
I have a pair of HF5s and my much cheaper FX67s massively outscore them for bass. It's not that they produce more bass (I use a Cowon J3, so I have all the amp volume and EQ in the world) its just that the bass on the 67s is more musical, if that makes sense. In fact, the 67s are - to my ear, which is all I care about - almost as good as the HF5s in every department except those where they are better. Given that they're stupidly cheap on ebay and absolutely excel at base, I'd buy a pair and then see if I still felt the need for anything more expensive. (But then I'm saying that to everyone today - I love my 67s.) Search for Katun's review if you're interested.

Anyway, the HF5 has a great rep in general, but bass (and awful microphonics) are usually considered its weak points I believe.

Other suggestion: tell people more about the player you are using - the qualities of your amp and whether you have good EQ will make a difference to the IEMs you should use. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 3
I have W4's and have tried W1's (I got them for my gf) and they are extremely capable. I do not listen to dubstep a lot, maybe if a friend links me briefly or something, but it can definitely handle Mumford and Sons, MGMT, Passion Pit, and Death Cab with ease. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back