Etymotic EVO: World Tour
Jun 21, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #106 of 232
The drama with Fedex sorted. The first EVO in Asia Pacific region is with me now. Will be thoroughly enjoying the next 7 days testing this baby
20210621_133322_HDR.jpg

Jun 21, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #108 of 232
Review Set #2 has made it to stop #2!

IMG_20210621_160406.jpg

@Zachik let me know if you'd like me to take inventory on the tips before these get sent on. Think we're still good enough for the rest of this round, but might not hurt to replenish.

I'll have some preliminaries up here and in the product thread, most likely later this evening.

Jun 21, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #109 of 232
@Zachik let me know if you'd like me to take inventory on the tips before these get sent on. Think we're still good enough for the rest of this round, but might not hurt to replenish.
Only 2 people after you, which means that if each size has AT LEAST 4 tips (2 pairs) after you're using whichever you need - we're definitely good to go :wink:

I'll have some preliminaries up here and in the product thread, most likely later this evening.
Cannot wait to read what you think!

Jun 21, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #110 of 232
Only 2 people after you, which means that if each size has AT LEAST 4 tips (2 pairs) after you're using whichever you need - we're definitely good to go :wink:
Oops missed this part! Let me check the bags now. (update is in PM)
Cannot wait to read what you think!
Funnily enough, I initially thought I needed to send you a message saying we had a unit failure as nothing was coming out of the right side. Took a a closer look...

...and the center punch for one of the tips hadn't come out! I managed to extract it and we're back in business, but that was a good head-scratcher for a minute.

Folks, this cable is something else. I want these connectors on everything I own now. Plan to test a bit more this evening, but I believe the product name Etymotic chose is extremely appropriate. There's a lot to like here.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #111 of 232
Oops missed this part! Let me check the bags now. (update is in PM)

Funnily enough, I initially thought I needed to send you a message saying we had a unit failure as nothing was coming out of the right side. Took a a closer look...

...and the center punch for one of the tips hadn't come out! I managed to extract it and we're back in business, but that was a good head-scratcher for a minute.

Folks, this cable is something else. I want these connectors on everything I own now. Plan to test a bit more this evening, but I believe the product name Etymotic chose is extremely appropriate. There's a lot to like here.
The connectors are very nice. I'd love to find a TWS adapter that works with them. LOL. Either way, I have a couple BT cables ordered for these :)

Jun 21, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #112 of 232
Jun 21, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #113 of 232
If we could find MMCX (female) to T2 (male) adapters - we'll be able to use the Etymotion!

Do tell :wink:
Ultimate Ears and Null Audio both offer an IPX/T2 BT cable. UE would be legit connectors, I’m not sure if Null uses knockoff connectors though. Both cables at the 100 dollar price point.

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #114 of 232
Ultimate Ears and Null Audio both offer an IPX/T2 BT cable. UE would be legit connectors, I’m not sure if Null uses knockoff connectors though. Both cables at the 100 dollar price point.
The UE cable is BT 4.1 without AptX... The Null Audio cable has more potential, on paper, being BT 5.0 and support AptX and AptX-HD.
Please report back if you try any of them :)

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #115 of 232
The UE cable is BT 4.1 without AptX... The Null Audio cable has more potential, on paper, being BT 5.0 and support AptX and AptX-HD.
Please report back if you try any of them :)
I’m on an iPhone. So I can’t test APTX anyways. The UE cable actually had app support (through Jaybird) as well if my research is correct. Though I probably would feel the Null Audio cable would have better quality than the UE (since the UE cable is a re-terminated Jaybird cable).

I will report back when I get them. UE should be here tomorrow. Null Audio will be a bit later since it shipped today from Singapore.

Jun 22, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #117 of 232
Wow - you're quick!!!

BTW, I strongly disagree with your comment from the prologue:
"I am not a reviewer by profession. I do this because it amuses me."
I read a lot of reviews, and I think your writing is better than most "professional" reviewers! I wish I had your writing skill...

Very nice photos, too. You set a pretty high bar for others here :wink:

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #118 of 232
Wow - you're quick!!!

I read a lot of reviews, and I think your writing is better than most "professional" reviewers! I wish I had your writing skill...

LOL, I was drooling to test that EVO out especially with that Fedex debacle. So I sprared no time with the EVO and started my intense listening like crazy hahahaha. Furthermore being so used to Ety sound it was not difficult to appreciate the refinement the EVO offered. I didn't even have any issue with first time use as we all Ety user are already familiar with the insertion ritual

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #119 of 232
Wow - you're quick!!!

Agreed. It was thorough, detailed, and fun. I'm surprised you got that much out so quickly. I've barely scratched the surface on listening and can barely make heads or tails of how I want to talk about this sound signature.
IMG_20210622_091455.jpg
Tips are in for their daily wash (hot & soapy, followed by 15 minutes in isopropyl alcohol, then air-dried) while morning meetings are going on, then it's off to the races for today! Got to try a couple different sources yesterday; today it'll be the SR25 and Monolith THX desktop amp. This weekend, I'll be OPAMP-rolling with a set of Burson V5i in a Little Bear B4-X tube amp. Figure the EVO should easily reveal some differences between the Burson and stock TI OPAMPs, plus the allure of tube-fed Etymotics sounds too good to refuse.
LOL, I was drooling to test that EVO out especially with that Fedex debacle. So I sprared no time with the EVO and started my intense listening like crazy hahahaha. Furthermore being so used to Ety sound it was not difficult to appreciate the refinement the EVO offered. I didn't even have any issue with first time use as we all Ety user are already familiar with the insertion ritual
I'm really going to try phrasing this review for both the seasoned Ety vets and the newer "generations" to this hobby that may have never been a part of the original Etymotic hype train. Trying to phrase stuff to keep both audiences interested should be a fun challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back