Etymotic Ety-Kids?
Feb 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #32 of 39
I've actually considered buying these before for the price range, but the Kids part is a bit condescending and I haven't really been able to get over it.

That, and it's gonna need a serious amp right?

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #33 of 39

Quote:
I've actually considered buying these before for the price range, but the Kids part is a bit condescending and I haven't really been able to get over it.

That, and it's gonna need a serious amp right?

They are meant to be used without an amp.  The reason they are for "kids" (really they aren't) is because they are volume limiting.  Although they do improve with an amp, Etymotic does not encourage the idea of using an amp with the EtyKids.  Adults (like you and I) can use them too.  They are actually really great for the price. They are a little harsh in places though.

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #34 of 39
I see why they did that too, with the isolation making it easier to listen to music at normal levels. At the same time, I like my music a little on the loud side.

Quote:
They are meant to be used without an amp.  The reason they are for "kids" (really they aren't) is because they are volume limiting.  Although they do improve with an amp, Etymotic does not encourage the idea of using an amp with the EtyKids.  Adults (like you and I) can use them too.  They are actually really great for the price. They are a little harsh in places though.

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #35 of 39

Quote:
I see why they did that too, with the isolation making it easier to listen to music at normal levels. At the same time, I like my music a little on the loud side.

Is 88 dB loud enough for you?  That's the max they'll output. 

Jun 2, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #36 of 39
I bought the EtyKids based on tinyman's review. Amazon had a $5 coupon for the EtyKids, so I got it for $44 shipped.

I needed something cheap that didn't sound aggressive, won't harm my hearing, with excellent isolation, and that I wouldn't be afraid to abuse if I wanted. This seems to be the answer. My other earphones are too loud even at lower volume settings, so I really appreciate the 300 ohm impedance on the EtyKids. Now I can go to higher volume levels without hurting my ears. I haven't done so yet, but I can see myself using these for long listening sessions since the sound isn't aggressive and more on the relaxing side.

The build quality feels great, and it seems really durable. I can get these real deep in my ear with smaller tips (Ety small triple flanges, Atrio small foams, Klipsch large double flange.) I wear these over-the-ear with no problems. I'm not good with describing sound, but tinyman's review sums it up well.

Some people might not look at these earphones because of the name. I'm not a kid, and I like the EtyKids a lot. They're a great value at around the $45-$50 range. No worries from me about treating them rough since the price is affordable.

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #37 of 39
Congrats. Glad you enjoy them. They are really something for under 50 bucks.

Sent from an iPod touch with TapaTalk... Autocorrect may alter the meaning of this message :p

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #39 of 39
bought these off amazon to get a cheap intro into the etymotic sound/see if i might want to spring for a higher end version. 

i've got a few "bang for the buck" portables (mh1c's, mee m6s, ksc75s) along with the takstar pro80s, and i'm pretty impressed with these. solid build, terrific isolation, great mids and highs - bass is less powerful for sure, but that's to be expected. definitely worth the money. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back