Etymotic Ety-Kids?
Aug 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
Hm...  Looks like Etymotic has a second dynamic IEM coming out.  This one targetted towards the younger generation to protect their hearing...  There are two models, and iPhone version with a remote and mic and a normal one going for 90 and 60 USD respectively.  10 dollars off for a limited time (can't order yet apparently)...  Coming in the fall (late October).  Any thoughts? 

More information:
  1. At first I though they were using the same drivers and the MC models, however, this is a new driver as it is 6mm instead of 8mm. 
  2. Unknown impedance (I'm assuming something low around 16 ohms) at this time.
  3. The rest of the specs are virtually the same as the MCs.

Source: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/etykids.html

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 39
Same, this seems like somewhat outdated thinking... I really don't think that kind of marketing will do very well at all.
Can't wait for the day that Ety comes out with some multiple BA headphones.

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 39

Quote:
Same, this seems like somewhat outdated thinking... I really don't think that kind of marketing will do very well at all.
Can't wait for the day that Ety comes out with some multiple BA headphones.

That would be amazing if they ever did multiple driver headphones :)

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 39

Quote:
That would be amazing if they ever did multiple driver headphones :)

I think their philosophy has always been that the crossovers that multiple driver headphones need mess with the sound.

They seem to take the frequency response curve detailed in their founder's papers very very seriously. The president is a Doctor, they make a huge amount of hearing aid products, and they seem to publish a great deal of research papers.

In short I think they are highly results motivated company that doesn't move particularly quickly, nor is it inclined to. They probably think of the ER-4S as measurably and objectively 'perfect' and until they can find a better technology or a better way to make them, I don't seem them doing anything new. Thinking about how long it took them to come up with the MC series (which sadly I didn't like) you have to admit that there is a certain aura of respectability about their approach.

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 39
Maybe they're using their Ety-Kids line to teach young people proper IEM etiquette.

Get it?
etysmile.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 39
erm...I think this line is poorly thought out, no 6-13 yr old child would like to have their little ears raped (most likely bought by safety conscious parents with the kids quickly tossing them aside, their is a reason why the line is called er (ear rape)

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 39
I actually don't mind them going cheaper on the price though.  It allows more people to hear what good sound quality sounds like at an affordable range.  I know for sure if I didn't know about it in the first place, seeing a 300+ dollar price tag (heck even 120) on a pair of headphones would be a turn off.  Some can't imaging paying that much.  Then they see how good it is and want better, then they begin to trust the price tags more.

Quote:
6-13?

Thats kinda a small year range

It's really for anyone that wants to watch their hearing.  It's also going to be a cheaper IEM (IDK how it'll play out in terms of SQ).  So 6-13 is suggestive.  It also allows these children to enter the true hi-fi world.  For example, the people on Head-Fi that are afraid of hearing loss or keeping track of how loud they play their music.  They'll know these are safe for sure. 

Quote:
erm...I think this line is poorly thought out, no 6-13 yr old child would like to have their little ears raped (most likely bought by safety conscious parents with the kids quickly tossing them aside, their is a reason why the line is called er (ear rape)

I honestly don't think they insert quite as deeply as people make it seem.  At the same time, I have small ears (maybe even child's size) and things don't go in that deeply for me anyways :p  But the same will go for children.  There are always glider tips too which don't insert too deeply.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 39
One concern is that I don't know if children will be able to keep the tips clean enough to put in their ears.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 39

Quote:
One concern is that I don't know if children will be able to keep the tips clean enough to put in their ears.

A lot of current IEMs, although don't target children, are used by them...  The cleanliness is no different.  Either way, you would also need some medium for the bacteria to grow quickly and do serious damage.  You'll rarely see a bacterial infection grow with no fluids whatsoever (the middle and outer ear are generally dry). 

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 39

Quote:
erm while its a nice idea im sorry but i dont believe brain implant etys are the ones for kids.  nor do i think uber sound isolating is what you want, yeah theri hearing will be fine right up untill they go smoooch beneath the wheels of a bus

LOL, smooch beneath the wheels of the bus :p  Actually, I have quite small ears and I can't force the small Etys that deep into my ear, but can get them to seal.  About a quarter of the IEM's barrel sticks out (the barrel doesn't include the nozzle) with the small triflange with the HF2s I have.  Since they do have small ears, they can't force that into the ear that deep to call it brain rape, not yet anyway :p 

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #15 of 39

Quote:
Kids cannot appreciate accurate sound and will complain about lack of bass.  The product will be a total bust IMHO.

lollery, I can't appreciate the "accurate sound"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back