Etymotic ER4-PT vs Westone 4R vs Shure SE535
Sep 13, 2013 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HAN2929

New Head-Fier
I am ambivalent between these three IEMs, this will be my first pair of IEM and I thought you guys would help me choose one.

I have read numerous reviews and comparisons between these three IEMs from different sources, but the more I read the more indecisive I become. I listen mostly to EDM (Electronic Dance Music); mainly House, Pop, and R&B.

Some other factors I am concerned of:
- The one that works best without amplifiers
- Comfort
- Can be used while doing light exercise (won't drop off and died because of my sweat)
- Isolation (I use public transport)
- The one that is right for the music I listen too.

I hope you guys would leave your opinion on this, especially those who have any of the three IEMs or have experienced using any of it. If you guys think there is another IEM that might suits me that is priced around my budget of $300 USD please leave your recommendation. 

Thank You guys.

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 13
Welcome to head-fi
Sorry about your wallet.

None of those IEMs will suit your needs. Save your  money.

Get a shure se215 and later see if you really want something else (highly doubt it)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/680392/shure-se215-k-black-paypald-and-shipped

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 13
$300 usd budget? GET AN ATRIO MG7 BEFORE IT RUNS OUT!!!!!!!! It is basically made FOR ALL THE GENRES that you listed and will have adequate bass for electronic while the treble spike ( I won't really call it a spike, more of a lift in treble ). Its recently been put out of production so its best to get one now before it goes out of stock. Another product that's also recently been put out of production and will suit your needs just fine is the vsonic gr07 mkII. Excellent Iem to say the least.

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #4 of 13
  I am ambivalent between these three IEMs, this will be my first pair of IEM and I thought you guys would help me choose one.

I have read numerous reviews and comparisons between these three IEMs from different sources, but the more I read the more indecisive I become. I listen mostly to EDM (Electronic Dance Music); mainly House, Pop, and R&B.

Some other factors I am concerned of:
- The one that works best without amplifiers
- Comfort
- Can be used while doing light exercise (won't drop off and died because of my sweat)
- Isolation (I use public transport)
- The one that is right for the music I listen too.

I hope you guys would leave your opinion on this, especially those who have any of the three IEMs or have experienced using any of it. If you guys think there is another IEM that might suits me that is priced around my budget of $300 USD please leave your recommendation. 

Thank You guys.

non of the above are suited for electronic dance or what ever the Low key focused music..  Go for the sennheiser IE80's . They are the best suited for EDM music or for any other genre apart from Metal :)

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 13
non of the above are suited for electronic dance or what ever the Low key focused music..  Go for the sennheiser IE80's . They are the best suited for EDM music or for any other genre apart from Metal :)

I think all three are good for any genre if you're not a bass head (nothing wrong with that). I use the er4s for everything from piano music to BT to dream theatre to deltron 3030. With all genres the er4s is the best I've heard. I use red filters which improve the bass a bit and smooth out the treble. If I feel like it, I use a very very simple sub bass boost of only a few db. This isn't necessary though, and even then any bass boost preset or amp bass boost would be great for most people. I prefer the flat response though. I thoroughly enjoy dance, hip hop, bombastic orchestra, etc. with no eq. If I have my fuze with my slight sub bass eq i sometimes pop it on and it makes things a little beefier down low, so kicks and basses have a nice deep punch to them. But by most peopl's standards that would still be low bass.

If you want reference flat studio quality sound closer to how it was recorded. The er4s is great. Or er4p. If you like a loud subwoofer in your car sort of sound forget it. They have excellent sub bass, but no earphone has that sort of bass without compromising the other frequencies (nor do speakers). I would only say that the er4s is usually appreciated more by people who go through a lot of iems first. The 4r is warmer and still excellent if you want more bass with less treble clarity. The 535 is even better down low and probably the best bass of the three, but really lacks treble clarity. And sounds the most muffled up high.

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 13
I think all three are good for any genre if you're not a bass head (nothing wrong with that). I use the er4s for everything from piano music to BT to dream theatre to deltron 3030. With all genres the er4s is the best I've heard. I use red filters which improve the bass a bit and smooth out the treble. If I feel like it, I use a very very simple sub bass boost of only a few db. This isn't necessary though, and even then any bass boost preset or amp bass boost would be great for most people. I prefer the flat response though. I thoroughly enjoy dance, hip hop, bombastic orchestra, etc. with no eq. If I have my fuze with my slight sub bass eq i sometimes pop it on and it makes things a little beefier down low, so kicks and basses have a nice deep punch to them. But by most peopl's standards that would still be low bass.

If you want reference flat studio quality sound closer to how it was recorded. The er4s is great. Or er4p. If you like a loud subwoofer in your car sort of sound forget it. They have excellent sub bass, but no earphone has that sort of bass without compromising the other frequencies (nor do speakers). I would only say that the er4s is usually appreciated more by people who go through a lot of iems first. The 4r is warmer and still excellent if you want more bass with less treble clarity. The 535 is even better down low and probably the best bass of the three, but really lacks treble clarity. And sounds the most muffled up high.

This is why I take all four of them where ever I go :) ER4p's W4's IE80's and 535's :) (no ex1000's cuz they have ****ty isolation :3
)

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #7 of 13
This is why I take all four of them where ever I go :) ER4p's W4's IE80's and 535's :) (no ex1000's cuz they have ****ty isolation :3
)

The w4r sounds great too with a 100ohm or higher resistor adapter. Highly recommended. It just cuts down the warm mid bass a tad and opens up the sound, red filters are a must on the er4s.

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 13
The w4r sounds great too with a 100ohm or higher resistor adapter. Highly recommended. It just cuts down the warm mid bass a tad and opens up the sound, red filters are a must on the er4s.

What will a resistor adapter do to the W4R? Do I need to run it with an amplifier with it or will it work alone? Sorry, really new to this.

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 13

What will a resistor adapter do to the W4R? Do I need to run it with an amplifier with it or will it work alone? Sorry, really new to this.

It will work fine without an amp, but as you raise the resistance the volume of the earphone will lower a bit.  At 100ohms, the 4r is still louder than the er4s I believe.  I can test later if you want.  You just plug the earphone connector into the "resistor" adapter and plug that into your source device.  With the 4r the more resistance you add the more it cuts down on the mid bass and makes things sound less muffled and warm and instead more open and flat.

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 13
The westone comes with a in-line volume control, does it do anything magical or does adjust the volume? 

It adjust this volume. However, if you have good ears you can turn your source up and down and adjust the adapter between low and high volume, and because it is a potentiometer (resistor) it does actually have a similar effect as the resistor adapter when it is at the extremes. So it too cuts the mid bass a very small amount at the low volume setting with the source high. But I wouldn't buy it for that purpose.

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 13
I own both the Ety 4S and the Westone 4R and, while I do use an amp (FiiO 17), I can say without a doubt the W4 is the superior product.  The 4S has tremendous treble clarity, but the bass is almost non-existent, leaving a very unfulfilling sound.  The W4 has an amazing soundstage, a very full sound, a warm and quick bass, and the treble, while not quite as crisp as the Ety, is still a solid performer.  As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with the W4.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #13 of 13
I had ER4PT and was astounded by the clarity and resolution. The only thing I didn't like is that the braided cables would rub together and bear slight noises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back