Etymotic ER-4ps still respected?
Oct 2, 2008 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

ak40ozKevin

100+ Head-Fier
Recently I had my Atrio M5s stolen along with a Nintendo DS and I'm back in the market for an IEM. I wasn't the biggest fan of the Atrio sound signature. I appreciated the low bass extension, and the warm non-fatiguing attributes. The low points for me were excessive bass bloom and drums were all ****ed up. There was no shimmer to speak of and just sounded too hissy.

I've noticed a lot more in-ear headphones being recommended back and forth around here than ever before. I've always been curious about the Etymotic ER-4p but notice that it's not often recommended around here anymore. I like the idea of a earphone that excels in the mid-range and while I enjoy bass it's not the be all end all bassis (excuse the pun) of enjoyment for me. I have other headphones that can supply me with that when I need it for house or hip hop music.

I guess I'm wondering if the ER-4ps are still a viable option for someone who's really into jazz? Or if former Ety owners have migrated to some other earphone since it's been absent from suggestion recently?

I used to always be able to count on a healthy amount of members swearing by it. Anyone still faithful?

Oct 2, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #2 of 57
I am very curious myself to other options, as i use moded im716's and ER4p's. I can't find anything wrong with either 'phone. Great imagery from the ety's (and the im716's). I would think the ety's are hard to beat, but i would like to hear folks' impressions of other iems compared to the ety's.

Oct 2, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #3 of 57
the er-4s are still the best sounding iems and i still use them quite a bit when i need isolation or when i'm on the go. sort of like how people will argue that grado hp-1000 are still the best fones which i can agree to somewhat. (i prefer grado rs-1)

Oct 2, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 57
I've been a ER4 user for about 7 years now. During that periode I have tried a number of other iem's (E4C, Atrio, E3 (the predesessor to Atrio) and Tripple.fi) but for various reasosns they have all come and gone again while the ER4 has stuck.

Oct 2, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #5 of 57
The ER4s have their distinctive signature sound: light bass, very airy, lots of highs. No other manufacture produces earphones with that sound, the closest would be the Sleeks and Qjays but they are significantly different from the ety sound. Whether or not they are good for jazz depends on what type of jazz you listen to, cause the ER4s are great for vocal jazz (Ella sounds heavenly in them) but you might find them too harsh for some trumpets.

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 57
i have realized the what u hear and u like it totally subjective. i had the er4p and i was not surprised in any way by the sound.i sold them and the new owner find them superb!i prefer the ksc75 and the pk2.u cannot compare them with er4p .As u cannot compare my ears with yours...

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 57
I've been tempted to try some of the newer highly rated IEMs but then I listen to my ER4P/S and realize that they do everything just right for my ears...no place to go from there.
etysmile.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 57
Another ER4p fan. Have gone thru Sleeks, Images, Triple Fi, Atrios, V-Moda (whatever happened to them?) and now have the Etys as my sole source. Thinking of getting something cheaper for gym and gardening use, but they're still my favorite.

Listen to jazz and classical mostly and I think they're exceptional for these two types' music

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 57
Etymotic ER4P user here for over 3 years. Used them every day and loved them. Definitely not a warn sounding IEM but very energetic and can keep up with most any genre. Bass is tight just not in huge amounts.

Upgraded to Shure SE530s and love them. They sound more like my beloved Sennheiser HD600s. Very speakerlike IMO. Still have the Etys though to beat on.

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 57
I think I'm going to try the Etymotics. Amazon currently sells them for 169.99 and I have prime so I don't have to pay for shipping. I want to try some of these new IEMs but they are pricier and I'm just going to buy something people have trusted forever.

They have a high resale value if I end up not enjoying these so much.

Oct 2, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 57
I'm still respecting my ER-4.... Most analytical, which is what I like, and I use them at home! I'm also looking to buy a pair of customs for real portable use.....

Oct 2, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 57
Still using my ER-4S, still swear by them.

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 57
I went ahead and ordered them. Some day I'll have to try them with an S adapter to see if I like them more that way. Anyways thanks for the input everyone I'll tell you what I think when I receive them.

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #14 of 57
OMG...the Etymotics are still one of the best IEMs around. Though Wilfredo has recently been using his Sleek SA6 and Klipsch X5...the Ety's will forever hold a warm place in his little heart.

Perfectly balanced, with amazing detail. How could this presentation ever go out of style? New IEM's tend be be fads, but the Ety's have staying power

Don't doubt it!!!

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #15 of 57
I've only listened about 5 min. so far but i have to say these things isolate so well it's a little scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back