Etymotic ER-4P, UE Triple.fi 10, Super.fi 5 Pro, Shure SE310, SE420, or SE530.
Sep 17, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #31 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have said similar good things about the SE310's - If I was to buy another pair of Shures to go with my SE500's, it would be to get the SE310 again.

Could you tell me their strongpoints/genres please
biggrin.gif
?

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #32 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdshort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using a 4G 20gig iPod with a pair of Shure E3Gs for the past few years. I just received a new 3G 8gig Nano the other day, and while I wasn't planning on doing any upgrading of my headphones just yet, reading about the new Shure products is making me consider picking something up. I use the E3Gs straight out of the iPod, and have no intention of using an amp. I think using an amp with the Nano would completely null the whole point of having a Nano. I'm actually pretty happy with what I have now, I'd just like more bass.

I'm looking at the SE530s. The prices they're going for on eBay don't seem too outrageous considering what I paid for my E3s way back! I'd just like to know what I can expect from the SE530s over my E3Gs.

everything improved big time
plainface.gif
thats being honest

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #33 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you tell me their strongpoints/genres please
biggrin.gif
?

The SE310 are good with everything - but not perfect with anything. The strong points I found were with live jazz, and drum solos were ****! with lightining fast response, good decay, and good low end extension (drums ring just right).

Whereas the ER6i are good with Jazz, vocals and acoustic - not quite as good with drum solos - fair with classical - but I think poor for rock - and not perfect with anything.

The Shure SE500's sound BETTER than my Sennheiser HD600 with 300 hours, my Ultrasone HFI700 DVD with a few hundred hours, and ANYTHING ELSE that I own or have ever heard. And, I have some good sources and amps to drive the Sennheisers too.

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #34 of 66
Quote:

yes it did very much. If you look at my sig you know what I like
biggrin.gif
, I love the bass on the Etymotic ER-6i's. And of all the IEM's i've tried so far, they are by far my favorite and seem like they shouldn't even be compared to the Super.fi 3's. I do have a question: does anyone else own se310's, because it's cnets new testing IEM's and I trusted them on helping me decide on my purchase of the sf3's and the ety er-6i's. www.headphone.com gave them a good value rating, but iLounge.com didn't :/. plz more info...I've always wanted to try a pair of shure IEM's out.

I am a HeadphoneAddict. I cannot help myself. I must hear what everythng sounds like, so I can decide what I like best.

Based on ilounges review of the SE210/310, I was thinking of trying some d-jays OR the SE210 just for grins. But, if the d-jays are better than the SE310, I have to hear it for myself to believe it.

Heck, I liked the SE310 more than the Super.fi 5 pro - although the sf5pro were "fun" they had some of that upper midrange harshness that I don't like about the ER6i with rock music.

I have yet to try the triple.fi 10 pro, but almost got some on ebay for $255 once - at over $300 I wont do it. Same with SE420, at over $200 it's not gonna happen.

Never tried the ER4p because everyone's description says, (waves hand like Obi wan Kenobi), "these are not the 'droids you're looking for"...

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #35 of 66
PS: the sf5pro do have more bass than the SE310 - it's more like that of the Denon AH-C700 that I keep forgetting to rave about. But, none have the bas "impact" of the SE530.

Don't forget to keep the Denon AH-C700 on the radar screen
redface.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Ok, once more, do the ER-4P's have at least as much bass as the ER-6i's?

The ER-6i produces 50Hz-6kHz ± 3dB and 20Hz-16kHz ± 6dB.
The ER-4 produces 50Hz-10kHz ± 2dB and 20Hz-16kHz ±4dB.

So YES, the ER-4 produces more bass than the ER-6 or ER-6i. At 20Hz, the ER-4 is producing 2dB more pressure than the ER-6i, and remember that 3dB more would be DOUBLE the bass, because the dB scale is logarithmic or something.

Sep 17, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #37 of 66
ER-4 has more bass than ER6i. I can confirm that.

iirc, 3dB increase requires double the power/wattage, but does not equal double the perceived volume. Doubling of perceived volume requires a 10dB increase.

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #38 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER-4 has more bass than ER6i. I can confirm that.

iirc, 3dB increase requires double the power/wattage, but does not equal double the perceived volume. Doubling of perceived volume requires a 10dB increase.

Hmmmm

http://www.prorec.com/Articles/tabid...1/Default.aspx

This says it is 6db. You're both wrong.
tongue.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #39 of 66
From the linked article:

+ 1 dB means about a 12% increase in SPL
+ 3 dB means about a 40% increase in SPL
+ 6dB means about twice as loud (200% of the original SPL)
+ 12 dB means about four times as loud (400% of the original SPL)
- 1 dB means about 90% of the original SPL
- 3 dB means about 70% of the original SPL
- 6 dB means about half of the original SPL
- 12 dB means about one-quarter of the original SPL

Oh, he does math to back it up.

PS: READ THE ARTICLE, THE GUY HAS A GOOD SENSE OF HUMOR TOO.

Sep 18, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #40 of 66
Well...despite all of the votes, I think from what I've heard about the Super.fi 5 Pro's, I might just get them. I have to admit, the super.fi 3's clarity with more low end would just render me speechless. Anyone else have any info or opinions on improvements to the Super.fi 5 Pro's over the Super.fi 3's?

Sep 18, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #41 of 66
If you like bass, and you like to frequently play everything very very loud, and don't care if the earphones are too big, get the SF 5 pro. The balanced armatures sound better the louder you go.

If you like bass, and you want to listen at NORMAL volumes and still hear bass, then get the Denon. Don't need high volumes to sound good, but can distort earlier than SF 5 pro at near rock concert levels.

Neither needs an amp to sound good, if the source is good enough, i.e. my Sony D-5 cd player or Sony D-25s cd player and not the crud they make and sell these days.

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #42 of 66
I've had the opportunity to own the super.fi 3 live, 5 pro, and the triple.fi 10 pro. Each upgrade brings more clarity and more bass surprisingly. Sadly, none of them could be called forward in the vocals, but thats the sound I love. The super.fi 5 pro is not as forward in the vocals as the super.fi 3 or triple.fi 10 IMO. I really enjoyed my super.fi 5 pro, they fit better then the triple.fi and were a definite upgrade over the super.fi 3. I would still recommend the SE530 as the best value for money currently, but the vocals will definitely be forward.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #43 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the opportunity to own the super.fi 3 live, 5 pro, and the triple.fi 10 pro. Each upgrade brings more clarity and more bass surprisingly. Sadly, none of them could be called forward in the vocals, but thats the sound I love. The super.fi 5 pro is not as forward in the vocals as the super.fi 3 or triple.fi 10 IMO. I really enjoyed my super.fi 5 pro, they fit better then the triple.fi and were a definite upgrade over the super.fi 3. I would still recommend the SE530 as the best value for money currently, but the vocals will definitely be forward.

We'll we've said over and over to get the SE500's but they are 2x the cost of sf 5 pro, and I am thinking is why the SF 5 pro came up again. I've said somewhere on head-fi that if I was to buy something that I've sold in the past, it would be the SE310's before the Sf 5 pro's - more natural and transparent sound and more comfortable, with decent bass.

But, selling the SE310 and E4c gave me the money to get ear impressions and order some Livewires customs, however I don't ever expect them to make me want to sell the SE500's

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #45 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you get the super.fi 5 pro, I would recommend possibly getting the westone ES1 cable. It seems to bring forward the midrange, and definitely tightens up the bass. I just wish I had had these when I still had my super.fi 5 pro.

Heh, that's the cable I had on mine. Never heard it stock, the guy who sold 'em to me must have destroyed the stock one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back