Etymotic ER-4P, UE Triple.fi 10, Super.fi 5 Pro, Shure SE310, SE420, or SE530.
Sep 18, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #46 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the linked article:

+ 1 dB means about a 12% increase in SPL
+ 3 dB means about a 40% increase in SPL
+ 6dB means about twice as loud (200% of the original SPL)
+ 12 dB means about four times as loud (400% of the original SPL)
- 1 dB means about 90% of the original SPL
- 3 dB means about 70% of the original SPL
- 6 dB means about half of the original SPL
- 12 dB means about one-quarter of the original SPL

Oh, he does math to back it up.

PS: READ THE ARTICLE, THE GUY HAS A GOOD SENSE OF HUMOR TOO.

I think the point is twice the SPL doesn't equal twice the perceived loudness. Maybe there's a distinction between perceived loudness and SPL levels? I'm no expert, but this is what I've gathered from ten minutes of browsing on the internet.

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #47 of 66
The guy clearly said things like "sound twice as loud" in the lesson about this on his website. To me that is perceived loudness.

The info has been there for 7 years and hasn't been retracted or redacted for errors yet
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #48 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We'll we've said over and over to get the SE500's but they are 2x the cost of sf 5 pro, and I am thinking is why the SF 5 pro came up again. I've said somewhere on head-fi that if I was to buy something that I've sold in the past, it would be the SE310's before the Sf 5 pro's - more natural and transparent sound and more comfortable, with decent bass.

But, selling the SE310 and E4c gave me the money to get ear impressions and order some Livewires customs, however I don't ever expect them to make me want to sell the SE500's

this is the thing, the se530 are arguably the overall better iem's but for price the livewires are amazing, just being customs is a thing of beauty, but me also would never get rid of the se530 for the livewires to replace, i was a little dissapointed with the triple fi,sounded a bit distant in all frequencies. the super fi 5 were very inpressive at the time and are still great value for money
basshead.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #49 of 66
explain to me the sound of livewires and what IEM's they compare to, they've come into my decision considering the $250 pricetag for customs
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #50 of 66
the livewires are pretty flat, but so are the ue10 but you pay alot more, theres a reason for that, the ue10 sound better, it has better mids and bass mainly with slightly improved highs, now ofcourse you pay alot more but you get a little more really.

the se530 are much warmer and smoother, take that as you will, if you like warm there you go if not the flatter livewires will appeal.

for $250 they are amazing but dont really have nothing special or that stands out

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #51 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, So i'm looking for the next best thing in IEM's as some of you may know. I have also learned that price has nothing to do with sound preferences, but just in case, my tops budget is $400 (cheapest I can find triple.fi or SE530's). I really love my Ety's ER-6i's and my Super.fi 3's, so anything better than those two, and more bass than both of them is something I want. I probably would prefer the SF3's over the 6i's, but I don't like the forwardness of the vocals all the time with them. Soooo, I guess what I'm looking for is better hghs, without a lot of forwardness, same mids as Ety's?, and a deeper bass than my Ety's and UE's.

If you love your ER-6, you'd better go to ER-4P Route. ER-4P is really amazing another level of music enjoyment.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #52 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you look for a more portable solution, Triple.fi Pro are another interesting choice, most people say they have more bass than the Etymotic and keep the great treble. A lot of people, including me, have had problems with the UE fit and isolation, but YMMV. There seems to be a problem with recessed midrange too.

You should try Supermacro LE or Millett. Even better with ER-4S.
Yes too bad UE has problem with fit and isolation, I agree. But you can rectify the problem by using Ety foamies with Triple.fi, it's a great sound. Midrange recessed only if you don't have a good isolation with Triple.Fi.

Bass quality for ER4S is better than Triple.Fi in terms of depth.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the livewires are pretty flat, but so are the ue10 but you pay alot more, theres a reason for that, the ue10 sound better, it has better mids and bass mainly with slightly improved highs, now ofcourse you pay alot more but you get a little more really.

the se530 are much warmer and smoother, take that as you will, if you like warm there you go if not the flatter livewires will appeal.

for $250 they are amazing but dont really have nothing special or that stands out

Based on all the descriptions of the livewires, they make me suspect they'll sound live ER4p. Having never heard the ER4p I wont be able to confirm that when I get my Livewires.

Sep 19, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #54 of 66
ok nevermind about livewires, I don't want completely flat and balanced. I've heard good stuff about the Super.fi 5's and the Shure SE310's. Opinions?

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #55 of 66
any more opinions plz?

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #56 of 66
the super fi 5 are very good, i was blown away by those at first, very powerful sound, very punchy strong bass and suprisingly bright highs.

the se310 are not so in ya face. not as strong bass but a bit more accurate and clean through mids and highs

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #57 of 66
From what I read many times, you'll lose a lot of clarity going for the SuperFi 5. If you want to sacrifice mids and highs for bass, you can go for the Superfi. Otherwise, the Ety ER4P are the most logical choice.

Sep 20, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #58 of 66
yeah i don't mind sacrificing some of the forwardness of the super.fi 3's

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the super fi 5 are very good, i was blown away by those at first, very powerful sound, very punchy strong bass and suprisingly bright highs.

the se310 are not so in ya face. not as strong bass but a bit more accurate and clean through mids and highs

Agreed.

One other note: The SE310 sounded great the first time I tried them, and continued to sound good. They are like an E500 with a little less bass and a little less detail - but the sound signature is similar, smooth like jazz. They are not as neutral and flat as the E4c, but they were more enjoyable.

The SF 5 pro sounded fuzzy and mushy the first time I listened to them, but they got better over time - I had to hook them up to my D1 amp that was burning-in at 80% and let them run overnight. The next day the mushy fuzzy bass was gone. By the time I sold them, I'd almost changed my mind and kept them. They were fun, but less accurate than the SE310, but comfort was my big problem - they were just too darn big. I decided that if I need a second set of "fun" earphones that I'd get another pair of SE500 series.

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #60 of 66
would you say the se310's have more bass than the ER-6i's and the SF3's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back