Etymotic ER-4P, UE Triple.fi 10, Super.fi 5 Pro, Shure SE310, SE420, or SE530.
Sep 16, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #16 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
er4 has very deeeep bass. Just not a whole lot of punch.

I'll take a deep, detailed bass over uncontrolled and punchy any day.

but unamped out of a DAP, go with e500. ER4 want a good source and amp to really sound good.

Would you say that the P version also requires an amp?
And I think it's sometimes 'fun' to have some uncontrolled bass. But I guess it all depends on user preference.

Sep 16, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #17 of 66
bass dont even have to be uncontrolled to be fun,many say the se530 are very bassy and fun but id say its far from uncontrolled, id also say bass is only bass when its punchy and has impact, something the er4 in general lacks, its all good saying the er4p has deep bass but i personally think it is deep but at them depths it is generally unheard.

obviously the reason for that is to control mids and highs and improve accuracy, this is why the er4 are generally known as bassless, its there maybe, but in comparison to other top end phones its obvious it lacks

Sep 16, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #18 of 66
I'd trade boomy, uncontrolled bass (as observed on my dads Westone UM2's) for the ER4's luscious highs any day.

To me, the world's gone mad bass-wise. At concerts and clubs you barely hear the mids/highs anymore. The fact that hiphop is dominating the music 'market' these days probably has something to do with it.

Sep 16, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #19 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say that the P version also requires an amp?
And I think it's sometimes 'fun' to have some uncontrolled bass. But I guess it all depends on user preference.

Just because it has punch, doesn't mean it is uncontrolled really.

Most people like the punchy bass, because that is what you hear and feel the most. For me through, if it doesn't go deep then it bothers me.

A little punch is nice, but sometimes when they become too punchy, then that is when the bass starts to overpower the rest of the spectrum (mids and treble).

It really comes down to personal preference.

And yes, the er4p will do fine w/o an amp that is why ETY made a lower impedance version.

If you like the er6i, I don't see how you can be disappointed with the er4p/s

Sep 16, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #20 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olorin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

At concerts and clubs you barely hear the mids/highs anymore.

evil_smiley.gif
no, concerts and clubs usually match the powerful bass with just as powerful mids and highs

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #21 of 66
Ok, once more, do the ER-4P's have at least as much bass as the ER-6i's?

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #22 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yeh id say they dont in fact id say theres a good reason for this aswell and thats to keep the accuracy super clean and they do, one other thing to note is if you have never experienced any other iem's you may not even realise the bass you havnt been hearing is there, if you have only had the ety er6i and ue3 you may well be blown away by er4
cool.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #24 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeh id say they dont in fact id say theres a good reason for this aswell and thats to keep the accuracy super clean and they do, one other thing to note is if you have never experienced any other iem's you may not even realise the bass you havnt been hearing is there, if you have only had the ety er6i and ue3 you may well be blown away by er4
cool.gif

"yeh id say they don't"

So, the ER-4P have less bass than the ER-6i's? Yes or No.

Sep 16, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #26 of 66
I currently own the Shure SE310 and Etymotic ER-4P earphones....and have owned the UE Triple.Fi, Shure SE530 and Shure SE420.

Based on the sound description of what you are looking for, I would easily recommend the UE Triple.Fi 10's.

After the Triple.Fi's, next would be the Shure SE420

The Shure SE310 will give you a nice balanced sound, with more Bass than your Ety's...but the vocals will be more forward than the above mentioned Triple.Fi's and Se420

The Er-4P's will not give you the sound you are seeking... I own them and can attest to this. The Er-4P's are great IEM's, but are not known for Bass reproduction

Dave

Sep 16, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #27 of 66
I've been using a 4G 20gig iPod with a pair of Shure E3Gs for the past few years. I just received a new 3G 8gig Nano the other day, and while I wasn't planning on doing any upgrading of my headphones just yet, reading about the new Shure products is making me consider picking something up. I use the E3Gs straight out of the iPod, and have no intention of using an amp. I think using an amp with the Nano would completely null the whole point of having a Nano. I'm actually pretty happy with what I have now, I'd just like more bass.

I'm looking at the SE530s. The prices they're going for on eBay don't seem too outrageous considering what I paid for my E3s way back! I'd just like to know what I can expect from the SE530s over my E3Gs.

Sep 16, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #28 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Ety ER4P are usually said to have more bass than the ER6i (even if not much more... it is difficult to associate "much bass" to Etys), and to be smoother than their smaller sisters. For sure, they have AT LEAST as much as bass as the ER6i. I hope this helps.

Sep 17, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #29 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ety ER4P are usually said to have more bass than the ER6i (even if not much more... it is difficult to associate "much bass" to Etys), and to be smoother than their smaller sisters. For sure, they have AT LEAST as much as bass as the ER6i. I hope this helps.

yes it did very much. If you look at my sig you know what I like
biggrin.gif
, I love the bass on the Etymotic ER-6i's. And of all the IEM's i've tried so far, they are by far my favorite and seem like they shouldn't even be compared to the Super.fi 3's. I do have a question: does anyone else own se310's, because it's cnets new testing IEM's and I trusted them on helping me decide on my purchase of the sf3's and the ety er-6i's. www.headphone.com gave them a good value rating, but iLounge.com didn't :/. plz more info...I've always wanted to try a pair of shure IEM's out.

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #30 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So next...I decided to try the Shure SE310 model (after reading the review on Headroom). Additionally Tyll gave the SE310's high praise.

In listening to the Shure SE310, I felt this IEM provided excellent balance between the frequency spectrums (lows, mids and highs). Bass was not overpronounced like I felt on the SE530 and SE420. Clarity on the SE310 is excellent and the vocal presentation crystal clear and upfront.

In the end, I surprisingly chose the Shure SE310 as the keeper. For my purpose and musical preference, it met all the criteria. If I want to add a bit more warmth to the sound of the SE310, I simply tweek the equalizer on my iAudio slightly...that all. Additionally, the SE310 was the cheapest IEM of the group.

Considering that I allocated a budget of $500 for an IEM purchase, I must say that I surprised that my choice was the cheapest of the three...the SE310.

I have said similar good things about the SE310's - If I was to buy another pair of Shures to go with my SE500's, it would be to get the SE310 again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back