Etymotic ER-4P/S, or sell for newer IEM?
Dec 27, 2011 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

wacomme

100+ Head-Fier
I like the sound of my old Etys, however, the 3-flange tip hurts my ears after about 10 minutes of listening. I'm thinking about trying Comply tips to see if that helps with comfort. I'm also contemplating the Ety custom tip option for $100. Then again, perhaps I should consider newer IEMs and sell the Etys. Even if I can get a comfortable fit, the Etys stick out from my ears quite a bit - not a huge problem, but a little bothersome. And, I'm not particularly fond of the microphonics when moving about (though I tend to be sitting for most of my Ety listening).

Options:

1) Keep Etys and get better tips (Comply's?). This is the cheapest option. Then I could spend a little money on a new portable amp - I currently have a very old HeadRoom TotalAirHead (how good is this amp compared to the newer ones on the market?). IBasso D-Zero? Fiio E7/E9 combo (I could use the E7 as a portable, and the combo to improve the sound coming from the computer to an AudioEngine A2; not sure if I can afford the future E17.

2) Keep Etys and get a custom tip.

3) Sell the Etys and get a newer IEM. (HiFiMan RE-Zero?, Brainwavz M4?, Other?). I like the Ety sound; however, I have little to compare it to.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Michael

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 31
If you like ety and your phones in particular try the tips.  I believe you can spend a lot of time, money, and energy looking for something you already have.  I got the tips from ety and was very pleased with the silicone tips made through there partner microsonic.

Dec 27, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 31
I would keep the ER4 and get custom tip. It is such a classic IEM.

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #6 of 31

Quote:
1) Keep Etys and get better tips (Comply's?). This is the cheapest option. Then I could spend a little money on a new portable amp - I currently have a very old HeadRoom TotalAirHead (how good is this amp compared to the newer ones on the market?). IBasso D-Zero? Fiio E7/E9 combo (I could use the E7 as a portable, and the combo to improve the sound coming from the computer to an AudioEngine A2; not sure if I can afford the future E17.

Instead of Comply, you can also try Shure black foam (olive) as well. D-Zero and E7 should be better than AirHead (I have BitHead, but the amp section is the same). You can also consider ZO2 as well. The bass boost it has worked really well with ER4.

If you end up selling ER4 and looking for another analytical IEM, you can try Phonak PFE.

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 31
Second the Olive recommendation, I used the triple flanges and those hurt my ears..

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #9 of 31
It sounds like keeping the Ety's it the way to go. Now for the decision on the Klipsch, Shure or custom tips.

Do the posts stick out the ears a long way with the custom tips? How about with the Shure or Klipsch tips?

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 31
If you like the Ety sound, you might want to search for the ACS customs. Before going down the custom route, you should try the glider foams, which IMO are the best tips for the Ety (about $15-18 for 3 pairs).

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #13 of 31

Quote:
If I go customs, which ones?

Etymotic program?

Westone?

Sensaphonics?

Ety's, the ER-4s itself is pretty low profile anyway. IMO Ety customs are cheap anyways ($100 impressions+mold).  

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #15 of 31
I'm getting the impression I should try cheaper tips first, like the Shure's before I buy customs.

Any other suggestions for portable amps? I currently have a very old HeadRoom TotalAirHead (how good is this amp compared to the newer ones on the market?). IBasso D-Zero? Fiio E7/E9 combo (I could use the E7 as a portable, and the combo to improve the sound coming from the computer to an AudioEngine A2; not sure if I can afford the future E17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back