Etymotic ER-4 vs Shure SE530 vs Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro
Jul 15, 2007 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Devon8822

100+ Head-Fier
Which one of these three headphones is the best? Oviously everyopne has there favorite, but I would like some info that will help me decide. Sound quality is my main thing. What are advantages/disadvantages of each of these headphones. Which one sound outstanding compared to the others?

Also, are there any IEMs that deserve to be in this thread along with these fine IEMs?

and another question... I'm debating weither or not I should get an amp as well. How much better will an amp make my sound quality? Is it really significant with IEMs? thanks!

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 44
Westone 3 deserves to be in there; you can read many positive impressions about them from the meet.

Generally, the ER's are most neutral except for the lack of bass, and the 530s have the signature Shure mid range hump with an annoying high roll-off, while the Triple.fi's have forward highs and less mids.

The soundstage in the Triple.fi's are a bit different from the Shure's. The Shure's have very nice sound separation and the UE's seem almost textured/layered to me.

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 44
I rank the ER4 higher than the E500. I've owned both. The ety need to be amped in order to fill their lack of bass, but once you do they are heaven. I've done a nice comparison (it's in my signature).
I'd really like to listen to more iems, tho.

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 44
Ety's are very detailed and I can understand why people like them.

I consider the need for an amp to be a disadvantage. The Ety's also lack the bass fullness of the Shure E500 if left without EQ.

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 44
I haven't experienced the other 2, but my E500's are amazingly comfy. I fall asleep and wake up forgetting they're in. I use the Shure black foamies with them.

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about the comfort. i've read a review in headphone.com tha the shures are the most comfortable universal fit iem in the market while the etys are infamous for it's ;ong tubes that must be jammed in ur ear canal.

can anybody touch this matter???

Imo, they isolate better than Shures when using triple flanges. They don't go in quite as far as Shures do. I still prefer the black foams for comfort.

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 44
The Etys need bass EQ to sound their best and the E530 need some treble EQ to sound their best. Depends on which sound signature you like but IMO with appropriate EQ the E530 destroy the Etys. Haven't heard the Triple-Fi yet.

Jul 15, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 44
ILikeMusic;3117926 said:
The Etys need bass EQ to sound their best and the E530 need some treble EQ to sound their best. Depends on which sound signature you like but IMO with appropriate EQ the E530 destroy the Etys.
I think exactly the opposite.

Jul 15, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #10 of 44
Both E500 and E4 have their unique sound signature, never use a EQ while doing the comparison.

Jul 16, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #13 of 44
I don't like using amps with IEMs, since they are for portable use only. Been a long time since I used etys; switched to the E4C when it came out and found that to be a big upgrade in enjoyment, comfort, and usability (ER4's cable is the most microphonic by far).

Have the E500 now. I slightly prefer E4C's sound signature. The E500 makes up for it with better soundstage and dynamics; still not as good as full sized headphones, but better than the IEMs I've used before.

Jul 16, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illidan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both E500 and E4 have their unique sound signature, never use a EQ while doing the comparison.

Ah yes, Etymotic, it's a great IEM. I could live with either triple.fi or ER-4S. Either one is great for me. If you ever decide to get ER-4S, Please consider supermacro with bassboost. It really is a perfect match to ER-4.

Jul 16, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #15 of 44
I seldom EQ the Shure but a little bass boost to the Etys sometimes. IMO the Shure for entertainment, and the Etys requires my focus, following every single trace of the sound, so I use them for different moods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back