Ety ER4 - a HiFi classic?
May 21, 2010 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

R300

Head-Fier
Been searching for new 'phones long and hard, and finally settled on these babies. Frankly I'm amazed by them and think they should go down as one of the classic HiFi components. Balance, tonality, detail, pace - all supurb. Some people call them bass light, but I find with the right front-end they go lower than HD600s! I think the problem is the don't have an "enhanced" bass response, and simply cannot move as much air as physically larger transducers. This may also contribute to vocals sounding a bit lean (I also think the quick decay and lack of reverb has something to do with this).

In fact, they remind me of expensive Dynaudio active monitors, but without the visceral impact of large speakers.

Downsides? Sound stage could be better, and the cables are like Victorian bell wire. Also, they slaughter poor recordings.

Anyway, do you agree these are one of the all-time classics, or just overrated?

May 21, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 24
I would agree that they are an all-time classic.

Look at how quickly the 2 driver "top of the line" IEMs became no better than bottom of the barel when the 3 driver IEMs came out. and the 3 driver units dropped out of favor the day the 5 and 6 driver IEMs came out...

Despite all of this the 6 driver IEM's still cite the ER4 as a reference!

May 21, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #5 of 24
May 21, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #9 of 24
Not a huge fan. I don't see them as clearer than the triple.fi's, and I lean towards the bassy side of the things anyways. 

May 21, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 24
Aye to that.

I've had my ER4P for about 3 months now, bought them P over worries that my player couldn't handle the S. Been using them with an impedance adapter for the past 2 weeks, can't see myself going back. Or forward, but that's mostly because doing any better requires WAY more cash than I can ever afford.

Love the bass. Can't hear them much, but never for a moment do I get the feeling that the bass is missing.

May 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 24
Absolutely agree, even after 19 years, it's still competitive and definitely a classic.  Not as much bass as available in newer IEMs, but a reference design nonetheless.

May 21, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #13 of 24
This hobby is so subjective. :)

I've owned and used the Ety 4p/s for many years now.  I always thought their sound was 'accurate,' meaning that it didn't add or subtract anything - neutral is a good way to describe them.  What they lack in comparison to my AKG 701s is soundstage for me.  The AKGs have an expansive soundstage and just a richer envelope of sound.  Pianos just sound like what I hear from a concert.  The Etys can't match that.

BUT, the Etys are portable and sound wonderful on the road and on plane flights, are lifesavers as they subdue the plane engines.

My two cents.
:)
CJ

May 22, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #15 of 24
Don't use mine much any more but every time I dig them out for a session I fall in love again. They do some things that none of my other phones can do as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back