The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
May 3, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #811 of 2,123
No that wont happen for me. : )

Also different people seem to have different opinion about supra cat 8. With a good enough recording i dont find them bright. Also i dont like dark or veiled like yahody cable seems according to your description .
LOL! You're right, you would not like the Yauhody.

I spent all day tweaking. I ended up replacing the EtherRegen SMPS for a Zero-Zone LPS, and changed out the Yauhody feeding the ER for a Supra and my LAN filter. The LPS and Isolator calmed things noticeably, so I think I'll be able to leave the Supra in the chain. It's sounding very good right now.

EDIT: Nope, as in multiple previous attempts, the Supra did not survive 24 hours. It was not brightness that bothered me, system tonality was spot on. What bothered me was was lack of PRaT and musical involvement, something I've noted with the Supra previously. I'm trying a Supra further back in the chain instead. I would like to keep the good it does, ameliorate the flaws.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #812 of 2,123
May 4, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #813 of 2,123
PRaT meaning?
Pace, rhythm and timing. A Brit concept, often used by Linn and Naim fans. Popularized in North America by Martin Colloms. Are you bobbing your head, tapping your feet to the music, or thinking about something else entirely? Just think of it as musical involvement. How well does the music command attention, hold your interest?

Maybe I shouldn't use the term, but it is common. Personally, I readily understand Pace, i.e. sometimes the music seems to be slowed, the tempo is dragging. Or it can seem too fast and frantic, which is not pleasant. Rhythm is the beat of the music, it's infectious, it bops. I don't see how Timing can be separated from the other two.

Musicians use a similar concept: attack, delay, sustain, release.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #814 of 2,123
1651721119522.gif
1651721180100.gif

Prat

May 12, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #816 of 2,123
The Zero-Zone 50W linear power supply was not good with the EtherREGEN, so I am back to the manufacturer's PSU. Hans Beekhuyzen tried an SBooster in his review of the EtherREGEN and reached the same conclusion; it was better with the supplied SMPS. He noted that the ER was the third network switch he'd tried with a linear power supply and all were better with switching power.

I tried an AliExpress 3A dual power supply with my Netgear GS105e. The LPS provided a cleaner background and improved detail, but lost bass power compared to the grounded iPower it replaced. I wanted the best of both presentations, and couldn't get there with the Netgear, so I bought a Silent Angel N8. It was OK out of the box, but not great until I replaced the supplied MeanWell SMPS with an iPower2 and separate ground.

Network:
NAS->Silent Angel switch (iPower2)->Archer C9 router (Zero-Zone 3.3A)->TP-Link 580D (Zero-Zone 50W)->LAN Filter->EtherREGEN.
Ethernet cables are Yauhody CAT8, with Furutech LAN-8 from the ER to the PlayPoint renderer.
I have no plans to upgrade any further.

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #817 of 2,123
The Zero-Zone 50W linear power supply was not good with the EtherREGEN, so I am back to the manufacturer's PSU. Hans Beekhuyzen tried an SBooster in his review of the EtherREGEN and reached the same conclusion; it was better with the supplied SMPS. He noted that the ER was the third network switch he'd tried with a linear power supply and all were better with switching power.

I tried an AliExpress 3A dual power supply with my Netgear GS105e. The LPS provided a cleaner background and improved detail, but lost bass power compared to the iPower it replaced. I wanted the best of both presentations, and couldn't get there with the Netgear, so I bought a Silent Angel N8. It was OK out of the box, but not great until I replaced the supplied MeanWell SMPS with an iPower2 and separate ground.

Network:
NAS->Silent Angel switch (iPower2)->Archer C9 router (Zero-Zone 3A)->TP-Link 580D (Zero-Zone 50W)->LAN Filter->EtherREGEN.
Ethernet cables are Yauhody CAT8, with Furutech LAN-8 from the ER to the PlayPoint renderer.
I have no plans to upgrade any further.
How did you ground your switch? Did you build a cable and connect the switch to the outlet ground?

May 12, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #818 of 2,123
How did you ground your switch? Did you build a cable and connect the switch to the outlet ground?
I've been told, by people I trust, that a CAT8 cable needs grounded devices on both ends to perform properly. I used this post as a model for the one I built: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/37034-smps-and-grounding/#comment-721414
Instead of the extra barrel connector shown above, I used a tight fitting spade connector. The iPower has a 5.5x2.1mm plug, the N8 switch has a 5.5x2.5mm port. The iPower comes with an adapter for this transition. I simply inserted my spade between the iPower plug and the adapter port.

May 13, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #819 of 2,123
I wanted the best of both presentations, and couldn't get there with the Netgear, so I bought a Silent Angel N8. It was OK out of the box, but not great until I replaced the supplied MeanWell SMPS with an iPower2 and separate ground.
Hmmm ipower2 is not an smps from what i can tell on their website?

I got the ipowerx for router and switch i wonder whats the difference between the two? . Ipowerx is more expensive i hope it's better then.

May 13, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #820 of 2,123
Hmmm ipower2 is not an smps from what i can tell on their website?

I got the ipowerx for router and switch i wonder whats the difference between the two? . Ipowerx is more expensive i hope it's better then.
IFi only make switching power supplies, at three levels; regular, X and Elite. The iPower2 replaces the standard version. I believe it has the same electronics as the original, with an upgraded DC cable.
The X is an upgrade over the original, and sounded cleaner than the standard with my SOtM sms-200. I was not able to hear any difference however on the Netgear switch in my installation.
I am unable to test the iPower X on the Silent Angel switch, as it needs 5V. My X is 9V.

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #821 of 2,123
Edit

May 15, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #822 of 2,123
May 17, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #823 of 2,123
IFi only make switching power supplies, at three levels; regular, X and Elite. The iPower2 replaces the standard version. I believe it has the same electronics as the original, with an upgraded DC cable.
The X is an upgrade over the original, and sounded cleaner than the standard with my sms-200. I was not able to hear any difference however on the Netgear switch in my installation.
I am unable to test the iPower X on the Silent Angel, as it needs 5V. My X is 9V.
I don't like you...I have now lost all credibility with my engineering friends. Yes I did replace the SMP (with an ifi unit) on my wifi bridge that's connected to a switch that goes into my audio network bridge that is outputting via toslink to a dac, and I heard an improvement in sound that absolutely should not have happened. I was using DLNA protocol which does parity check to ensure bit perfect transmission. I have no explanation of why I heard a difference.

May 17, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #824 of 2,123
I don't like you...I have now lost all credibility with my engineering friends. Yes I did replace the SMP (with an ifi unit) on my wifi bridge that's connected to a switch that goes into my audio network bridge that is outputting via toslink to a dac, and I heard an improvement in sound that absolutely should not have happened. I was using DLNA protocol which does parity check to ensure bit perfect transmission. I have no explanation of why I heard a difference.
at least you tried it! there are those that refuse to try…

May 17, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #825 of 2,123
Someone at the Lumin thread recommended this. Could be good for the money.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-iso-plus-2
An interesting product for sure. Note that the specs say:
 Works with CAT5, CAT5E, CAT6 and CAT6A cables with RJ45 connectors
 Provides common mode RF attenuation from 160 meters through 10 meters

For networks with shorter and/or higher category ethernet cables, consider this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/334340331704?hash=item4dd83c98b8:g:aUUAAOSwTeNfXeDT

I use the LNF-C8G in my main system, ahead of the EtherRegen. There are similar, more expensive, and probably better filters from SOtM and ENO for example, but I am happy with this Korean version, as it has a positive effect in my system, even after all the network improvements I've made.

I use this one in a secondary system, ahead of a SOtM sMS-200, but I've never compared it to the LNF-C8G:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/334340331693?hash=item4dd83c98ad:g:HgAAAOSwSFBZ5uZh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back