The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Apr 17, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #781 of 2,142
As I mentioned previously, I have relocated my LAN filter to in-between the EtherRegen and streamer. This changed the sound enough that I started testing again with three cables I own, Supra CAT8, Yauhody CAT8 and Tera Grand CAT7. My final choice is Yauhody for all four cables in the chain, but I'm not quite happy with the sound, as it's a bit dark and after hearing the Audio Sensibility Statement cable, I know I can get a better sense of depth. As a result I've ordered the Furutech LAN-8 NCF cable. Should be here by Friday, but will require extended listening before I express an opinion. For anyone interested, there's a review on 6-Moons:
https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/furutech16/

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #782 of 2,142
As I mentioned previously, I have relocated my LAN filter to in-between the EtherRegen and streamer. This changed the sound enough that I started testing again with three cables I own, Supra CAT8, Yauhody CAT8 and Tera Grand CAT7. My final choice is Yauhody for all four cables in the chain, but I'm not quite happy with the sound, as it's a bit dark and after hearing the Audio Sensibility Statement cable, I know I can get more depth. As a result I've ordered the Furutech LAN-8 NCF cable. Should be here by Friday, but will require extended listening before I express an opinion. For anyone interested, there's a review on 6-Moons:
https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/furutech16/
Have you tried the Sablon Audio ethernet cable? When I got it I was told that I could return if for a refund if I didn't like it and so I tried it out of curiosity as I like to keep an open mind. I was of the opinion that it should make no difference but I was surprised at the quite obvious difference it made. I guess you could get something equivalent at a cheaper price point but you can also pay a lot more of course. I've not felt the need to try anything else.

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #783 of 2,142
Have you tried the Sablon Audio ethernet cable? When I got it I was told that I could return if for a refund if I didn't like it and so I tried it out of curiosity as I like to keep an open mind. I was of the opinion that it should make no difference but I was surprised at the quite obvious difference it made. I guess you could get something equivalent at a cheaper price point but you can also pay a lot more of course. I've not felt the need to try anything else.
Sablon ethernet cables have an amazing rep. Unfortunately the price is over three times what I paid for the Furutech, and beyond what I wish to spend on an ethernet cable. I would upgrade my LAN filter rather than buy a more expensive cable. Some Isolator/Filter devices come with an integral cable, which becomes the final cable in the chain, the most important position.

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #784 of 2,142
Sablon ethernet cables have an amazing rep. Unfortunately the price is over three times what I paid for the Furutech, and beyond what I wish to spend on an ethernet cable. I would upgrade my LAN filter rather than buy a more expensive cable. Some Isolator/Filter devices come with an integral cable, which becomes the final cable in the chain, the most important position.
We all have to set our own limits. One thing in their favour is that I've not felt any desire or need to try anything else, so that's saved me money... Man maths at it's best. :sweat_smile:

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #785 of 2,142

Interested to hear how you get on with the furtech. It’s has good rep but I’ve not hear it :)

Apr 18, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #786 of 2,142
We all have to set our own limits. One thing in their favour is that I've not felt any desire or need to try anything else, so that's saved me money... Man maths at it's best. :sweat_smile:
That's a great place to be, and I'm not trying to cause discomfort :), but a cable can't do what a filter does.

Apr 18, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #787 of 2,142
That's a great place to be, and I'm not trying to cause discomfort :), but a cable can't do what a filter does.
Indeed, and of course I did not claim that the cable was a filter or that it negated whatever benefits a filter might provide. :beerchug:

Apr 18, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #788 of 2,142
Indeed, and of course I did not claim that the cable was a filter or that it negated whatever benefits a filter might provide. :beerchug:
I noticed you have a Phoenix net, did you ever get a chance to compare that to a regular non audiophile switch?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 18, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #789 of 2,142
I noticed you have a Phoenix net, did you ever get a chance to compare that to a regular non audiophile switch?

Thanks in advance.
I didn't. I bought it about a week before my system was packed and shipped to another country. I set everything up in the new house and I've not bothered to compare with a cable bypassing it.

If I can be bothered then I might give it a try but I've got plenty of other things to take up my time at the moment.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #790 of 2,142
I've been using the Furutech LAN-8 NCF ethernet cable for a few days, between my EtherREGEN and Playpoint streamer. The search is over, this is the cable for me! It sounds exactly the way I hoped it would, tonality is spot on through my system, detail is exemplary, big soundstage. It combines the best qualities of all the cables I tried in past, with no weaknesses that I can identify, and highly complementary with the inexpensive Yauhody CAT8 cables upstream. I've repurposed the LAN filter, I no longer need it in the main system.

Apr 30, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #791 of 2,142
We all have to set our own limits. One thing in their favour is that I've not felt any desire or need to try anything else, so that's saved me money... Man maths at it's best.
I can say the same for supra cat 8 as i got it all the way. But i havent tried anything else audiophile ethernet cable either :) I suck at being experimental.

I was really close in getting this one though https://www.oehlbach.com/en/audio-equip/cable/usbnetwork/stream-primus

As i need 5 meter more expensive ones i am not willing to pay for.

It seems to me it has great sheilding and has silverplated ofc.

Apr 30, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #792 of 2,142
Deleted

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #793 of 2,142
I can say the same for supra cat 8 as i got it all the way. But i havent tried anything else audiophile ethernet cable either :) I suck at being experimental.

I was really close in getting this one though https://www.oehlbach.com/en/audio-equip/cable/usbnetwork/stream-primus

As i need 5 meter more expensive ones i am not willing to pay for.

It seems to me it has great sheilding and has silverplated ofc.

Could you install a 2nd switch near the endpoint and the use another supra for the last metre. This cable looks well made but I doubt it will perform up to the supra, which is one of the best bang for bucks cable I’ve heard

Apr 30, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #794 of 2,142
Could you install a 2nd switch near the endpoint and the use another supra for the last metre. This cable looks well made but I doubt it will perform up to the supra, which is one of the best bang for bucks cable I’ve heard
Im all good with supra cat8 cables as i got it all the way. I only needed one last one at the moment for my tv.

Apr 30, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #795 of 2,142
I've been using the Furutech LAN-8 NCF ethernet cable for a few days, between my EtherREGEN and Playpoint streamer. The search is over, this is the cable for me! It sounds exactly the way I hoped it would, tonality is spot on through my system, detail is exemplary, big soundstage. It combines the best qualities of all the cables I tried in past, with no weaknesses that I can identify, and highly complementary with the inexpensive Yauhody CAT8 cables upstream. I've repurposed the LAN filter, I no longer need it in the main system.
Is the Furutech cable sftp? Did anyone measure the cable?

Btw, these discussions about Ethernet cables offends my engineering sensibility and bs meter to no end. I wish I never heard any difference between Ethernet cables.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back