The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Apr 30, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #796 of 2,142
Is the Furutech cable sftp? Did anyone measure the cable?
I have not seen any measurements.

"3 Layered Shielding with superior noise isolation aluminum foil and copper braiding".
https://www.thecableco.com/cables/digital-cables/digital-ethernet/lan-8-ncf-ethernet-cable.html#:~:text=OD: 7.0±0.1mm approx.&text=Production Lengths: 0.6M/1.2,7.5M/10M by request.&text=α (Alpha) conductor is the,the α (Alpha) process.
Btw, these discussions about Ethernet cables offends my engineering sensibility and bs meter to no end. I wish I never heard any difference between Ethernet cables.
Mechanical Engineering Technology grad here. I spent months telling a friend that ethernet cable cannot affect sound, as it is only carrying packets, and buffering. Then I replaced my CAT5e and had to eat my words.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #797 of 2,142
3 Layered Shielding with superior noise isolation aluminum foil and copper braiding. I have not seen any measurements.
https://www.thecableco.com/cables/digital-cables/digital-ethernet/lan-8-ncf-ethernet-cable.html#:~:text=OD: 7.0±0.1mm approx.&text=Production Lengths: 0.6M/1.2,7.5M/10M by request.&text=α (Alpha) conductor is the,the α (Alpha) process.

Mechanical Engineering Technology grad here. I spent months telling a friend that ethernet cable cannot affect sound, as it is only carrying packets, and buffering. Then I replaced my CAT5e and had to eat my words.
Okay so it’s SFTP cable. Silver plated conductor makes sense in high freq application. The cable looks good.

Have you compared the cable to other cat 8 SFTP speced cables? Example https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DP4DJMH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SWR0K0SCJPDG9V25WW2X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #799 of 2,142
I hate cable voodoo as well but here we are…

Apr 30, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #800 of 2,142
Okay so it’s SFTP cable. Silver plated conductor makes sense in high freq application. The cable looks good.

Have you compared the cable to other cat 8 SFTP speced cables? Example https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DP4DJMH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SWR0K0SCJPDG9V25WW2X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
That cable looks interesting, but I've not tried it. The SFTP cables I've tried are Yauhody CAT8, Supra CAT8, Audio Sensibility Signature CAT8, and Supra+ CAT8 (Cryogenically treated Supra cable with Telegartner connectors). All sounded different, my preference by a large margin was the Furutech.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #801 of 2,142
got it. I have not tested this but in theory the only Ethernet cable that would have any affect on sound is the one connecting from the switch to the streamer and may be in very corner cases the cable from router to the switch. I guess I will try to Furutech cable at some point. Everything in the thread subverts my expectations :beyersmile:

Apr 30, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #802 of 2,142
got it. I have not tested this but in theory the only Ethernet cable that would have any affect on sound is the one connecting from the switch to the streamer and may be in very corner cases the cable from router to the switch. I guess I will try to Furutech cable at some point. Everything in the thread subverts my expectations :beyersmile:
My empirical testing says your theory does not hold. :smile_phones:
I can hear a difference when I change any ethernet cable in my cable chain (NAS to switch, switch to router, router to EtherRegen, EtherRegen to network player). I'm using Yauhody CAT8 upstream, Furutech in the final link, all three feet long or less.

May 1, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #803 of 2,142
Trialing the MUON filter + MUON ethernet cable really soon, it should be on its way to me, beyond excited.

May 2, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #804 of 2,142
I cancelled my order on one supra cat 8 and ordered an furutech lan 8 ncf it was out of stock so the delivery time is 1-4 weeks. Interesting to find out if i can hear a improvement or difference compared to supra cat 8.

May 2, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #805 of 2,142
Also recently i have been looking and shopping some power products to power my router and switch. I have wanted for a long time to replace my generic powerstrip with built in power cable. So to improve the electricity from the wall outlet.

I have ordered one hifi power cable with good sheilding and pure ofc copper. Not expensive Taga TPC

Hifi Power strip Dynavox x2000 with 5 filtered outlets.

2 ifi ac iPurifier to place in empty power strip socket. Clean and isolate noise.

Intrestingly one of them being an furutech clear line ncf that caught my attention before i read about @audiobomber had bought an furutech Ethernet cable with ncf. Anyway i like the description of the improvements it claims for audio/video. Also nice this products improve all things connected to same powerline/powerstrip not just one endpoint.

First i will try in my main system to see how it compares to niagara 1000 that is full so no empty sockets. So dynavox 2000x power strip can free up some sockets on niagara 1000 also so i can insert acipurifier and furutrch ncf clear line to see if it improve things.

If they have little effect on router and switch side i can move them to main system where they probebly will have most impact.

Or if it have good results on router/switch side i have to shop an extra ncf clear line and more ac iPurifiers for main system also. Much to experiment with.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #806 of 2,142
I cancelled my order on one supra cat 8 and ordered an furutech lan 8 ncf it was out of stock so the delivery time is 1-4 weeks. Interesting to find out if i can hear a improvement or difference compared to supra cat 8.
improvement depends on what you're looking for? i've always found the supra cat8 slightly dark and recessed in the mids but still good value.
i'm enjoying the lan8 on my zen streamer, i think it's good value

May 3, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #807 of 2,142
improvement depends on what you're looking for? i've always found the supra cat8 slightly dark and recessed in the mids but still good value.
i'm enjoying the lan8 on my zen streamer, i think it's good value
I will be disappointed if it's just different rather then better. Considering the price difference. Hoping for less sibilance and digital harshness better details darker background.

May 3, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #808 of 2,142
I will be disappointed if it's just different rather then better. Considering the price difference. Hoping for less sibilance and digital harshness better details darker background.
The Furutech LAN-8 is better in every way than Supra CAT8, IMO. The Supra has some exceptional qualities, but is overlaid with what I would describe as a high frequency hash that makes it fatiguing in the long term. You might want to replace any Supra in the chain ahead of the Furutech with the very inexpensive Yauhody CAT8 from Amazon, which is highly complementary with the Furutech.

May 3, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #809 of 2,142
There’s always AQ diamond :)

May 3, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #810 of 2,142
You might want to replace any Supra in the chain ahead of the Furutech with the very inexpensive Yauhody CAT8
No that wont happen for me. : )

Also different people seem to have different opinion about supra cat 8. With a good enough recording i dont find them bright. Also i dont like dark or veiled like yahody cable seems according to your description .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back