The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Jul 24, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #841 of 2,142
@teknorob23, I’m liking the improved clarity and definition of the transients, bass, midrange, and treble since I added a Cisco SG250-08 Smart Switch w/iFi iPower X - Low Noise Power Supply and an AudioQuest Cinnamon 0.75m Ethernet cable between my router and my D-Link network switch. It only took a couple of minutes to plug it all in and I immediately went to one of my favorite operas, Die Walkure by Wagner, which is very busy with a lot of singers and instrumentalists playing simultaneously, and within an hour of going back and forth I was pretty sure I was hearing good things coming through my headphones.

My question is does it matter in which order I have the two switches before the streaming signal enters my ENO Ethernet Filter? Right now the chain is CAT6 router > AQ Cinnamon Ethernet cable > Cisco network switch > L-Com Ethernet cable > D-Link network switch > ENO Ethernet System Ag > Roon Nucleus server. Is this the optimal setup for what I’ve got, or should I change things around?
Do you have cable or fiber optic internet? If there is one, you may also want to upgrade the ethernet cable going from the modem/fiber optic box to router.

I like to think of the data flow to and from the internet as a river that flows both ways. Because each switch is powered, it will contaminate the data stream with noise from the power source along with internal device generated noise and EMI. I don't know the extent of how much noise the switches contribute since I use wifi but they will at the very least add artifacts from the switching power source. Its often overlooked that all ethernet cables carry power and they will transport power back and forth between devices even if the devices don't need or use it.

Usually, something like that ENO device would probably be most effective when connected at the highest point upstream in the chain but since you have multiple switches it gets tricky. You could theorize and try to account for this and that but its probably easier and alot faster to just test it out with the most reliable scientific method, good ole trial and error.

If you wanted to optimize things, you could try to minimize the number of switches in the chain or upgrade to an "audiophile" switch and use linear power supplies for those switches. I recently got this linear ps from aliexpress to replace my ifi power x and it made a significant difference, not huge but definitely worth the price imo. Also, the use of good shielded ethernet cables will always help. Don't worry too much if a cable is limited to cat6, unless you have multi gig ports on the switches and router, it will be bottlenecked at the max bandwidth of whatever the ports are limited to. Music files are small and a cat6 cable is not going to be a limiting factor. You could also upgrade the wall outlet to an audiophile duplex, I upgraded mine to a Furutech GTX-D and the difference was huge with that one.

Power filtration is one more thing you could do as well but that is a huge money pit, the linear PS will help with the noise generated by AC power oscillation at 50/60hz but won't filter the power unless its a specific feature.

I've to come to understand why the music servers are so good for music. I know the PC is major contamination source but I didn't realize how much it affected sound.

If you do upgrade anything, I'd be interested to hear your observations on the changes.

Jul 24, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #842 of 2,142
@dougms3, luckily our house is wired with fiber optic cable throughout. Both network switches are plugged into my AQ Niagara 1200 power conditioner which uses an AQ Thunder power cable going into an isolated wall socket. So the sound floor of my hp system is pretty black and bereft of any background noise.

Adding a second switch was one of those small not too expensive tweaks that IMO has helped give the sound of the music that I listen to a tad more clarity, soundstage, and definition to the vocals and instrument separation.

Jul 24, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #843 of 2,142
@dougms3, luckily our house is wired with fiber optic cable throughout. Both network switches are plugged into my AQ Niagara 1200 power conditioner which uses an AQ Thunder power cable going into an isolated wall socket. So the sound floor of my hp system is pretty black and bereft of any background noise.

Adding a second switch was one of those small not too expensive tweaks that IMO has helped give the sound of the music that I listen to a tad more clarity, soundstage, and definition to the vocals and instrument separation.
That must be nice. They should make that a requirement for any new buildings or houses.

Seems like you got the power conditioning taken care of. There may be yet some improvements to be yielded from the audiophile network switch and linear ps. Every electronic device generates noise and in the case of the network switches, they spread it around the network. Probably not alot though since you've got good power conditioning, might not be worth the money for maybe no noticeable improvement.

Maybe next logical step is a DDC and/or master clock. You'll be surprised at the difference that makes, I just got the audio-gd DI20HE last week and the improvement was really something.

My chain is GTX-D Duplex > ifi supanova > Furutech ETP80 PLC > PC > Jcat femto card with linear PS > nordost knockoff usb cable > audio-gd di20he (furutech 314ag power cable) > audioquest carbon coax > denafrips ares ii (nordost odin knockoff power cable) > audio-gd master 19 (furutech fp-s55n power cable with fi-46 plugs).

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #844 of 2,142
@teknorob23, I’m liking the improved clarity and definition of the transients, bass, midrange, and treble since I added a Cisco SG250-08 Smart Switch w/iFi iPower X - Low Noise Power Supply and an AudioQuest Cinnamon 0.75m Ethernet cable between my router and my D-Link network switch. It only took a couple of minutes to plug it all in and I immediately went to one of my favorite operas, Die Walkure by Wagner, which is very busy with a lot of singers and instrumentalists playing simultaneously, and within an hour of going back and forth I was pretty sure I was hearing good things coming through my headphones.

My question is does it matter in which order I have the two switches before the streaming signal enters my ENO Ethernet Filter? Right now the chain is CAT6 router > AQ Cinnamon Ethernet cable > Cisco network switch > L-Com Ethernet cable > D-Link network switch > ENO Ethernet System Ag > Roon Nucleus server. Is this the optimal setup for what I’ve got, or should I change things around?

@bpcans great news youre hearing an improvement with the 2nd switch and in terms of optimising you your set up.. have you tried switching the positions of the switches by running the CISCO where you currently have the D-link and if logistics allow i would experiment with moving the aq ethernet cable along the chain running it between switch 1 and 2. Essentially i suggest front loading your network chain running "best" into the streamer and "worst" into the router :):)

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #845 of 2,142
@bpcans great news youre hearing an improvement with the 2nd switch and in terms of optimising you your set up.. have you tried switching the positions of the switches by running the CISCO where you currently have the D-link and if logistics allow i would experiment with moving the aq ethernet cable along the chain running it between switch 1 and 2. Essentially i suggest front loading your network chain running "best" into the streamer and "worst" into the router :):)
@teknorob23, thats funny that you suggest “switching the switches“, because I just got up to do that very experiment. I find that when my wife and 7yr old daughter are asleep at night that it is the best time to do some critical listening. I front loaded the Cisco switch and the AQ Ethernet cable as you’ve suggested. But it’s going to take some more listening before I can say with any certainty which configuration sounds the best.

Attachments

• 669AA62A-BC0B-4D45-8952-EBB4B453C109.png
    669AA62A-BC0B-4D45-8952-EBB4B453C109.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 25, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #846 of 2,142
@teknorob23, thats funny that you suggest “switching the switches“, because I just got up to do that very experiment. I find that when my wife and 7yr old daughter are asleep at night that it is the best time to do some critical listening. I front loaded the Cisco switch and the AQ Ethernet cable as you’ve suggested. But it’s going to take some more listening before I can say with any certainty which configuration sounds the best.

My rabble are off to Spain to visit the inlaws for month and get away from the heat in the UK :wink: starting tomorrow, so while obviously miss them, critical listening and mountain biking should see definite uplift! These changes in your chain probably wont lead to night and day differences but could be worthwhile nonetheless. One question are you earthing both switches, as i've found this brings appreciable improvements to both these switches.

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #847 of 2,142
My rabble are off to Spain to visit the inlaws for month and get away from the heat in the UK :wink: starting tomorrow, so while obviously miss them, critical listening and mountain biking should see definite uplift! These changes in your chain probably wont lead to night and day differences but could be worthwhile nonetheless. One question are you earthing both switches, as i've found this brings appreciable improvements to both these switches.
Safe travels my friend. I love Spain! The Iberian coast is a marvelous place to vacation, and I’d love to take my girls there one day. Have you seen my fat tire bike? If not I’ll PM you a picture. I have the D-Link switch grounded. But because I’ve been going back and forth moving things around behind my gear rack, I think I’ll wait until I’ve settled on a final setup. As it is I’m going to have to do some serious rearranging of my audio chain to accommodate for this second switch and Ethernet cable. I like to give everything plenty of room to breath if you know what I mean.

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #848 of 2,142
Has anybody tried swapping the stock SMPS on their routers for an aftermarket one like an iFi iPower, and did it make any difference at all? I’m using one of these GigaSpire Blast CAT6 routers plugged into its own wall socket now. I asked my audio gear dealer if it would, and he said probably not. But I’m just checking. https://www.calix.com/platforms/exos/exos-systems/gigaspire.html.

Jul 27, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #849 of 2,142
Has anybody tried swapping the stock SMPS on their routers for an aftermarket one like an iFi iPower, and did it make any difference at all? I’m using one of these GigaSpire Blast CAT6 routers plugged into its own wall socket now. I asked my audio gear dealer if it would, and he said probably not. But I’m just checking. https://www.calix.com/platforms/exos/exos-systems/gigaspire.html.
Well it just so happens i got this today for that specific purpose.

Well let you know.

IMG_20220727_144349.jpg

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #850 of 2,142

Well let you know.

IMG_20220727_144349.jpg
@dougms3, thank you sir. Your information is write on time. Is that an iFi Power X that you’ll be demoing on your router? I ask because I recently added one to my second wife, oh 😟 I mean my 2nd network switch.

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #851 of 2,142
@dougms3, thank you sir. Your information is write on time. Is that an iFi Power X that you’ll be demoing on your router? I ask because I recently added one to my second wife, oh 😟 I mean my 2nd network switch.
Yep. And I forgot to bring it home from work lol.

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #852 of 2,142
Hans said this is popular in Asia to use with network switches. Might not be as bang for buck as ifi psu though.

Jul 28, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #853 of 2,142

Well let you know.

IMG_20220727_144349.jpg
What are you using this for?

I use the entry model ipower for a switch together with a baaske 1005MI. I actually hear the difference. It feels like the music is just playing the right "tempo" with a silent background. Silent is the new dark. I never understood dark. Its silent to me :wink:

Jul 28, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #854 of 2,142
What are you using this for?

I use the entry model ipower for a switch together with a baaske 1005MI. I actually hear the difference. It feels like the music is just playing the right "tempo" with a silent background. Silent is the new dark. I never understood dark. Its silent to me :wink:
Its going on my router to see if it makes any difference.

I noticed a nice bump in noise reduction when I swapped out the ethernet to a better quality cable from the router to the verizon box. Also better picture quality when streaming youtube and netflix.

So I thought I'd try the ipower x on the router and see if that would make a difference.

Jul 28, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #855 of 2,142
Its going on my router to see if it makes any difference.

I noticed a nice bump in noise reduction when I swapped out the ethernet to a better quality cable from the router to the verizon box. Also better picture quality when streaming youtube and netflix.

So I thought I'd try the ipower x on the router and see if that would make a difference.
I think you it will improve. I also switched out my diablo standard ipower with ipower x and for cat7 in the house. Feels like music is playing in "space" no distortion everything is just on time now. Sounds weird but maybe jitter also has improved by this, I don´t know.

Upgrades I made:
Powersupply, iPower X on Diablo/DAC
Cat7
Switch with Regular iPower supply 5v
Shielded main cables for PC(Brand is Supra)
Network Isolator: Baaske 1005MI

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back