ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Aug 12, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #2,686 of 3,212
Re T2, braided is not going to happen. Will most likely go with the Cablesforless; seems they can make it and at the price, nothing to loose. I can actually compare the stock premium VIVO cable to the "rock bottom" Cablesforless and see whether I can hear any difference. If cables make a difference, then the "downgrade" should be noticeable, but I very much doubt so. If I against my H0 there is a difference, then I paid a bit for education and *might* consider something more esoteric.

Got a PM from someone who was not impressed with the Gravedigger. Can't say much more.
Just looking at the closeups and going by nothing else, I would bet the Gravedigger would be pretty microphonic. It appears to be well made, but still looks to be a normal PVC jacket with heatshrink over the twisted pairs going to the HP connectors. I can attest that the the ones from Cablesforless are typically sheathed in nylon along the main cable and some other very soft and quiet sheathing where they split to go to each HP connector. I have them for my HD 650's and 700's. I actually find the cable I got with my E2's to be of superb quality and very quiet and flexible. In fact, I purchased a 10' version with 1/4" TRS termination to run off my receiver and the 6' XLR version I run all the time with my Phonitor x.

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #2,687 of 3,212
When I had the Ether 2, I tried a few different cables, but kept going back to the VIVO cable. It's a great feeling and sounding cable and I miss it with my A2O.

Aug 15, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #2,688 of 3,212
When I had the Ether 2, I tried a few different cables, but kept going back to the VIVO cable. It's a great feeling and sounding cable and I miss it with my A2O.

If you were an original purchaser of a DCA/MrSpeakers headphone you can enroll in Club DC Audio, we have a 33% off cable sale for club members, the announce the email goes out tomorrow but it’s already live.,

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 21, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #2,689 of 3,212
So I think I'm going to be getting some ether 2s next week. Found a demo model for an insane price (600 with a trade in of hd598s.) It's not usually a headphone I'd be buying considering it's 2200 dollars and typically it's out of my price range, but he's making me an offer I can't refuse because I was looking to spend 600 on headphones. I like the way they sound off of the Rega Ear amp he was willing to throw in for 1000 total, but the reviews are really "Meh for the price".

I called both Dan Clark audio and a local audio store. I spoke with the president of DCA and he reccomended the Chord Mojo and so did the audio store. However I'm really looking to get the absolute most out of these cans for my money. I didn't specifically ask for a portable amp but it's what they reccomended. The audio store has it for 399. Is it worth it? Can it comepete with a desktop setup? I have about 400 dollars. There's a lot of good stuff in this range. But I just don't have the ability to really test it out. There just aren't really headphone stores by me. I was lucky to find the ether 2s.

Tldr: Will the chord mojo compete with a desktop amp and if not. Any amp recomendation under 400 for the ether two? DAC combos welcome.

Aug 21, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #2,690 of 3,212
Wow. That’s quite a deal.
Mojo is great. Some desktop are better, many are not as good. I’d be happy with the Chord. (Especially for what you’re paying. Yikes!)

Absolute doesn’t exist. What sounds great to you is achievable, though.

So I think I'm going to be getting some ether 2s next week. Found a demo model for an insane price (600 with a trade in of hd598s.) It's not usually a headphone I'd be buying considering it's 2200 dollars and typically it's out of my price range, but he's making me an offer I can't refuse because I was looking to spend 600 on headphones. I like the way they sound off of the Rega Ear amp he was willing to throw in for 1000 total, but the reviews are really "Meh for the price".

I called both Dan Clark audio and a local audio store. I spoke with the president of DCA and he reccomended the Chord Mojo and so did the audio store. However I'm really looking to get the absolute most out of these cans for my money. I didn't specifically ask for a portable amp but it's what they reccomended. The audio store has it for 399. Is it worth it? Can it comepete with a desktop setup? I have about 400 dollars. There's a lot of good stuff in this range. But I just don't have the ability to really test it out. There just aren't really headphone stores by me. I was lucky to find the ether 2s.

Tldr: Will the chord mojo compete with a desktop amp and if not. Any amp recomendation under 400 for the ether two? DAC combos welcome.

Aug 21, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #2,691 of 3,212
@mopar67 You might get more out of that mojo with the Ether 2 if you put it through a cheap THX amp, like the SMSL SP200 or Drop THX 789 or similar. They will give the Ether 2 all the power they require. Congrats, the Ether 2 are one of my favorite pairs of headphones!

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #2,692 of 3,212

Buddy, tell me more about this store, I'd like in on some crazy cheap demo units... lol. Have you looked into a DAP? There are a few that can be had in the <$400 range that are pretty decent. Off the top of my head, there's a used A&K SR15, the iBasso DX160 (both the 2019 and 2020 versions, though they have some slight differences), and a few others. I know you were recommended a portable amp, but is that what you want? As it's been brought up, a decent THX amp might be a better option if you're likely to use them at a desk. Plenty of power, no audible distortion... But really, whatever is "best" is going to depend on what's best for your specific use case. So whatcha wanna do with that Ether 2, eh?

Aug 26, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #2,693 of 3,212
FYI gang................I am running my Ether 2 via XLR from a vintage Pioneer speaker amp and absolutely love it now. Tried one about a year or so ago from the 1/4" headphone jack and it just didn't do it for on the bass side. It does now.........and it's running a Norne cable (forget which version) and the soft pads that are like alcantara (sorry, forget the proper nomenclature).

Bought this unit from MattTCG - great guy and always appreciate his input on stuff. Now that I've had it for a couple of months, it's a keeper. I still rank the HE-6SE as number 1 running it out of my flagship system (vintage Pioneer Spec 1/2 combo) via speaker taps but the Ether 2, fed by another vintage Pioneer SA-608, is used in my family room and am thrilled with it. Good job on this headphone Dan.............

Aug 27, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #2,694 of 3,212
If you were an original purchaser of a DCA/MrSpeakers headphone you can enroll in Club DC Audio, we have a 33% off cable sale for club members, the announce the email goes out tomorrow but it’s already live.,
Hi Dan, did the sale end already? I didn't get an email. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #2,696 of 3,212
I've tried two Norne cables - the first one I don't know what the model name was but currently run a Norne Solvine 3 (which is apparently discontinued). I like the form factor a lot and it's not thick and unwieldy like the original I tried on my first E2.

Sep 8, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #2,697 of 3,212
Hi Dan, did the sale end already? I didn't get an email. Thanks.

Hi, It's still on for another week, just login, add to cart, and the sale price appears on checkout.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #2,698 of 3,212
Well there's been a bit of interesting coverage for the ETHER 2 of late, check it out.

1) Legendary Performance award from Enjoy the Music summary here...

1604366920089.png

2) Review from AudioHead covering all three pad voicings is here...

3) Headphone.guru covered it here...

Plus another review coming....

Nov 3, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #2,699 of 3,212
I remember starting out on my headphone journey about 30 years ago with a pair of Sennheiser HD650s. I had two young daughters and a very tight budget and read about all the hi-end stuff that was well out of my reach. I would never have believed, if you'd told me then, that I would eventually own two of the best headphones money can buy - the Ether 2s and the ZMF VCs.

I'm very grateful to the immense talents of Dan and Zach (at ZMF) for enhancing my enjoyment of music so much.

Nov 4, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #2,700 of 3,212
I remember starting out on my headphone journey about 30 years ago with a pair of Sennheiser HD650s. I had two young daughters and a very tight budget and read about all the hi-end stuff that was well out of my reach. I would never have believed, if you'd told me then, that I would eventually own two of the best headphones money can buy - the Ether 2s and the ZMF VCs.

I'm very grateful to the immense talents of Dan and Zach (at ZMF) for enhancing my enjoyment of music so much.

Zach's a great guy, we've known each other since we got into this journey... Thanks for supporting us... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back