ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
May 16, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #2,116 of 3,213
Do anybody here encountered an issue with cracking sounds on the Ether 2- I had the issue on the Abyss Diana and it was really annoying. I think the reviewer here had some issues with it.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #2,118 of 3,213
Our headphones are given a "shake test" to identify crinkles as a final QA step. While planars will crinkle under pressure, they have to as the diaphragm stretches then contacts the motor, we build our headphones to be crinkle-free for sitting and moving your head and for walking. We would take care of a driver that was noisy with routine movement.

Gym rats and runners, you're SOL. :wink:

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 16, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #2,119 of 3,213
Ear pads should start arriving tomorrow. Hope everyone enjoys them. My comments vs the stock pads:

1) Perforated are really great for vocals, and for those wanting a bit more splash on the top. Nice layering, deep and wide soundstage, center front is a few rows further out, with a nice depth of field and solid imaging. Probably the pad I listen to the most.

2) Suede pads are really buttery warm and smooth, they're particularly great with well-recorded music turned up a bit. They're also a lot of fun when you pull out an annoyingly bright rock album and want to bump the volume a bit.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 17, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #2,120 of 3,213
Do anybody here encountered an issue with cracking sounds on the Ether 2- I had the issue on the Abyss Diana and it was really annoying. I think the reviewer here had some issues with it.

No such thing with my Ether 2 and I don't think anyone in my circle has experienced one either. I have that with my old Sine though.

May 17, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #2,121 of 3,213
Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #2,122 of 3,213
2) Suede pads particularly great with well-recorded music turned up a bit.

Excellent. I like the sound of that. I can’t wait for mine to arrive on Monday.

I’m also pleasantly surprised by how easy they appear to swap out after watching the videos you posted.

May 17, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #2,123 of 3,213
Does anyone recommend "upgrading" from the AFOs? My personal tastes in a headphone are ones that have warm, forward mids and lots of detail. The Auteur fit the bill the closest while the AFO I believe is my goldilocks headphone that has met all my needs. What I've read is that the Ether 2s are even lighter, have better imaging and soundstage and a more relaxed treble. I'm usually treble insensitive but I can see the AFO's getting a lot hot from time to time - not enough for me to consider their treble troublesome as I prefer splashier treble in general. Do the Ether 2s sound too boring? After a while I found the Auteurs neutralness too boring as did the LCD-X. Trying to decide if they're just more of a flavor upgrade or even a sidegrade than a true full blown upgrade given my preferences.

May 17, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #2,124 of 3,213
Does anyone recommend "upgrading" from the AFOs? My personal tastes in a headphone are ones that have warm, forward mids and lots of detail. The Auteur fit the bill the closest while the AFO I believe is my goldilocks headphone that has met all my needs. What I've read is that the Ether 2s are even lighter, have better imaging and soundstage and a more relaxed treble. I'm usually treble insensitive but I can see the AFO's getting a lot hot from time to time - not enough for me to consider their treble troublesome as I prefer splashier treble in general. Do the Ether 2s sound too boring? After a while I found the Auteurs neutralness too boring as did the LCD-X. Trying to decide if they're just more of a flavor upgrade or even a sidegrade than a true full blown upgrade given my preferences.

I owned them at the same time. They sounded quite differently. AFO has more mid-bass but has less sub-bass and less lower mid. As a result, AFO sounds a bit hollow sometimes, while E2 sounds full and warm. AFO is more flavored, while E2 is quite neutral.
Some people say E2 has splash treble, but I definitely disagree. I never heard any sibilance with E2, while I do hear sibilance quite often with hd800s, ether c flow, afo, utopia, verum, and hek.

May 17, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #2,125 of 3,213
I owned them at the same time. They sounded quite differently. AFO has more mid-bass but has less sub-bass and less lower mid. As a result, AFO sounds a bit hollow sometimes, while E2 sounds full and warm. AFO is more flavored, while E2 is quite neutral.
Some people say E2 has splash treble, but I definitely disagree. I never heard any sibilance with E2, while I do hear sibilance quite often with hd800s, ether c flow, afo, utopia, verum, and hek.

Are the mids forward like the AFO? Reason I ask is because the soundstage is wider on the E2 I would assume it would be a little more diffused. I agree that the mids on the AFO can be a little weird if you're listening carefully (the lower mids are a little hollowed out.).

May 17, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #2,127 of 3,213

The Ether 2s mids are not forward but neutral. They both have opposite sound signatures when comparing them to each other. Ether 2s sub bass doesn’t roll off, neutral mids, and the top end can be dark. The AFOs have a roll off at the lowest octaves, forward mids, and more sparkle at the top end. My preferences are a mid forward sound as well and sometimes I wish the Ether 2 had a bit more of it. I wonder if the new pads would make any changes here.

May 17, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #2,128 of 3,213
The Ether 2s mids are not forward but neutral. They both have opposite sound signatures when comparing them to each other. Ether 2s sub bass doesn’t roll off, neutral mids, and the top end can be dark. The AFOs have a roll off at the lowest octaves, forward mids, and more sparkle at the top end. My preferences are a mid forward sound as well and sometimes I wish the Ether 2 had a bit more of it. I wonder if the new pads would make any changes here.

Curious to hear your impressions when you guys get the new pads then. I'll probably be upgrading the cable to a Prion4 or Compliment4 then at this point. I'm eagerly awaiting to add a GSX Mini to the mix since I'm reading good reviews on the impressions thread so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back