ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 23, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #3,121 of 3,213
I'd like to echo the E2 + Phonitor x sentiment. That is what I am using in the office and like it very well.
Well, that's two people for the Phonitor X as well... but I must admit that I've been scared away by the warnings against using that amp with low impedance headphones, and also someone I trust said it sounded "sterile"... the crossfeed adjustment and VU meters are alluring, though...

Since the sentiment generally seems favourable towards the Element 2 I'm currently using, I think I'll wait until I can get my hands on a V281, however long that may take. There's nothing wrong with the Element 2, I was just curious as to how the headphones may sound with a very well paired next step up, so to speak, and I'm not sure the Phonitor X is it.

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #3,122 of 3,213
Well, that's two people for the Phonitor X as well... but I must admit that I've been scared away by the warnings against using that amp with low impedance headphones, and also someone I trust said it sounded "sterile"... the crossfeed adjustment and VU meters are alluring, though...

Since the sentiment generally seems favourable towards the Element 2 I'm currently using, I think I'll wait until I can get my hands on a V281, however long that may take. There's nothing wrong with the Element 2, I was just curious as to how the headphones may sound with a very well paired next step up, so to speak, and I'm not sure the Phonitor X is it.
v281 is a classic

May 27, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #3,125 of 3,213
After being on the fence for several months I finally took the plunge and bought Ether 2 used. I was a bit unsure because the reviews weren't generally positive. But I was specifically looking for a laid back, lightweight (under 300g), high end phones and there wasn't really any other choice but Ether 2. I am glad I bought these and I instantly fell in love with them. They deliver music in ways that no other headphones do. I feel that Ether 2 delivers high performance while keeping the weight and aggressiveness in check.

That said I find that the Vivo cables are thick, long and unwieldy, and I am curious if I can grab any DUM cable with 4 pins ? Must I buy cables specifically made for Ether 2 ?

May 27, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #3,126 of 3,213
After being on the fence for several months I finally took the plunge and bought Ether 2 used. I was a bit unsure because the reviews weren't generally positive. But I was specifically looking for a laid back, lightweight (under 300g), high end phones and there wasn't really any other choice but Ether 2. I am glad I bought these and I instantly fell in love with them. They deliver music in ways that no other headphones do. I feel that Ether 2 delivers high performance while keeping the weight and aggressiveness in check.

That said I find that the Vivo cables are thick, long and unwieldy, and I am curious if I can grab any DUM cable with 4 pins ? Must I buy cables specifically made for Ether 2 ?
Many aftermarket cable makers offer cables with the hirose connectors you need.

May 27, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #3,127 of 3,213

I bought this one here. https://www.etsy.com/de-en/listing/988465796/dan-clark-aonether-headphone-cable
Very satisfied with the purchase. You can choose length, cable colour (left, right, main) as well as the termination plug. I ordered with the 4.4mm rhodium plated plug. It certainly is more compact and thinner than the original cable but not more supple. I bought I mainly for the balanced end termination.

1685222248439.png

May 27, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #3,128 of 3,213

I'm using the Wywires Platinum cable with my set. The pairing is fantastic. If you can find one on the used market, you won't be disappointed with the combination.

IMG_0496.jpg

May 27, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #3,129 of 3,213
…That said I find that the Vivo cables are thick, long and unwieldy, and I am curious if I can grab any DUM cable with 4 pins ? Must I buy cables specifically made for Ether 2 ?
Funny, I really like the Vivo cable — very supple and completely un-microphonic.
…I'm using the Wywires Platinum cable with my set. The pairing is fantastic. If you can find one on the used market, you won't be disappointed with the combination.
I also have this as I kept it when I sold my EFO. It’s a little stiffer, but much lighter/less bulky. Honestly, I don’t think I could tell the two apart sonically in a blind test.

May 27, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #3,130 of 3,213
I also have this as I kept it when I sold my EFO. It’s a little stiffer, but much lighter/less bulky. Honestly, I don’t think I could tell the two apart sonically in a blind test.
the Vivo isn’t a bad cable at all. If I’m being honest, the Platinum is a little bit stiffer in comparison, but it is all copper. The Vivo is silver plated copper

Jun 10, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #3,131 of 3,213
Ok, got the thing. Paired with with JDS Labs Element II.

First impressions: Build quality is amazing. The cost absolutely seems justified just by holding them, which was a pleasant surprise. The engineering and simple design is just so clean and clever. Sound quality is definitely a step up from Fostex TH-X00 Ebony that I previously used, right out of the box. Bass is fine although they don't massage your soul like the Fostex do (we'll see after 100 hours), but everything else is clearly(!) better. However, interestingly to me the sound quality is still not better than my first love, the good old Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro (but those are in-ear and isolating, something I wanted to move away from). I also totally get the people complaining about clamping force. So light in the hand, yet when you put them on your jaw is in a vice. I really, really hope that goes away over time. Also, zero planar crinkle so far which made me very happy! Oh, and at least with my glasses, sound quality isn't affected.

So, two years on I got a few upgrades...

L1104688.jpg

Some people said these were easy to drive, but I can tell you now that you're NOT getting the full potential of the Ether 2 by skimping on the amp!

What I wrote about not getting your ears massaged by the bass was only due to my old amp not being able to drive these headphones properly. Now I not only have bass, soundstage but also *depth*, so I do think these finally surpass the in-ears I previously compared them to. I also got a new pair of glasses with an even stiffer titanium frame, but despite the seal not being perfect, it sounds absolutely fantastic. Also, my head got used to the clamping force, so now with the incredibly lightweight silk ribbon cable I got it almost feels like I'm not wearing headphones at all (and the Sony MDR-Z1R headphones you can glimpse in the photo feel super uncomfortable by comparison).

Now, brain burn in is definitely a thing and hifi is like a drug (with all that entails), but I think I've reached my summit (though feels like I've said this before).

Jun 10, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #3,132 of 3,213
The E2 has been out for some time now, wondering if DC after his forays since is planning an E3. I thought the Ether Flow was interesting, the E2 is quite a bit better. The Voce is a masterpiece. The Expanse is amazing at my brief exposure, but expansive to my wallet. E3 trickle down from the Expanse?

Jun 11, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #3,133 of 3,213
The E2 has been out for some time now, wondering if DC after his forays since is planning an E3. I thought the Ether Flow was interesting, the E2 is quite a bit better. The Voce is a masterpiece. The Expanse is amazing at my brief exposure, but expansive to my wallet. E3 trickle down from the Expanse?
An E3 would be awesome. I would be on board with this myself. I still find the E2 unique and amazing in it’s performance.

Jun 11, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #3,134 of 3,213
Eyeing on the E2 for a long time.
There's one for sale in the classifieds, but I hesitate till now bc of 0 feedback and the somewhat cheap offering ( 1500 € )

What's your thoughts guys?

Jun 11, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #3,135 of 3,213
Eyeing on the E2 for a long time.
There's one for sale in the classifieds, but I hesitate till now bc of 0 feedback and the somewhat cheap offering ( 1500 € )

What's your thoughts guys?
Hard to say. Does this person have a decent footprint on the site outside of the 0 feedback?

I would try and collect details. Posts on the E2. Not sure if they have individual serial numbers, if so ask for a pic of it. The more careful you seem, the more likely a scammer is to break contact. But watch coming across as too spikey. I know, a thin line.

There are other sites that are pretty reliable which I would not count ebay among.

Also, practice patience. They seem to come up for sale at a fair clip. 1500 doesn't seem low to me. 1200 or lower - yes. But that's an ask. Unless it unobtanium, I never my self pay ask. How long for sale? 3 days hard to get price drops. 35 days much more likely.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back