ESW9 or HD25-1 II or other for portable use and keeping warm
Dec 5, 2010 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Yggdrassilious

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Winter is here, so I started thinking about getting a pair of portable headphones that  will keep my ears warm.

Two contestants: one rugged, time tested and industry standard HD25-1 II; the other, the flaming red colors of the African Paudak wood presents the premium and classy ESW9. (and anything else you guys can think of)

Sound preference, I definitely have used my UE 700s the most for their small/lightness, ease of handle and comfort, and pristine sound; And I prefer my TF10s and UE700s over my IE7s. Although my IE7s have outlasted the UE700s at least 3 lifetimes over...I enjoy my A8s and EC700s occasionally for when my ears get sore from using IEMs too often. So I guess I'm not huge on boom-boom-pow bass but like a good presence of it. I do enjoy a good soundstage and good detail/separation. 

Source: iPhone 4. mp3s ripped. mostly 320kps-ish. Computer. And at home I do have a pretty good receiver, Onkyo TX-SR608 that I sometimes use when watching TV or listening to music. 

So, here is what I'm looking for:
1. Comfort: I returned my first pair of ESW9s because of discomfort. Now I feel like I should have given it more time to loosen up (that's what he said). But I hear the HD25-1 IIs are very comfortable, with the dual headband and such. And comfort is important to the enjoyment of music. Bottomline, I've heard good and bad things regarding the comfort of both phones. So your thoughts?

2. Sound: Whatever analogy that applies with my IEM preferences. 

3. Durability: (on the one hand, the HD25-1 II's build quality is CRAP, but they can take a beating. And I very much like the refined looks of the ESW9s, but will the lambskin earpads and African Paudak wooden cups withstand the snowy winters of Ohio?)

4. Keep ears warm (so I'm looking for the supra-boobla-joo kind that goes around your ears instead of resting on top of them)\

5. Sound isolation, I don't really care a lot about it, as long as it does not leak out. 

Thoughts? These cost within $20 of each other. And I feel like their value is pretty stable now. Ideally I'd get them both, but, my father's not rich. Of course I'll consider other headphones as well. It's just I feel these will retain their values well over time, and are worthy to have. (And what about Creative Aurvana Live!)

Any comment/suggestions is welcome! Thanks guys. 

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #2 of 21
When I compared ESW9s to HD25s I never wanted to see the Senns again, horrible compared to ESW9s. Just stretch the headband on ATs and you will be fine.

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 21

When I compared ESW9s to HD25s I never wanted to see the Senns again, horrible compared to ESW9s. Just stretch the headband on ATs and you will be fine.

Hi, when u say horrible, do u mean the sound, build, or like everything? I'm afraid at below freezing point the temperature and snow is goIng to destroy the wood.

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 21
although the esw9 are on the ears, they cover most of your ears if not all.  I have pretty big ears and they cover most of it although sitting on the top of them.

Yggdrassillious: I'm curious about how they hold up against snow too, although it doesn't really snow where I'm at.
frown.gif
  My guess is probable not a good idea.  They just look so delicate.  To me that is the main flaw of these cans.

As far as comfort,  at first I though they were uncomfortable also, but then I start messing around with adjusting the headband.  I finally find what makes it more comfortable for me.  I just adjust the band to be longer and sit lower on my ears therefore loosening up the clamp force.  The headband is soft enough and light that I'm not concern about down force.  Plus I made sure the cup are positioned correctly on my ears.  Now I can wear them for hours without discomfort.

Quote:
The esw9 and the HD 25 are more on ears than over ears, so they wont do a very good job at keeping your ears warm.

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 21
I honestly can't imagine taking my ESW9s outside in the summer, much less in winter. The ESW9s (and wood headphones in general) are not winter headphones. It's getting cold up here in Toronto - if I took my ESW9s outside, I would call it abuse. Aside from that, the ESW9s won't get that much more comfortable, no matter how long you "wear them in." If you returned your pair because of discomfort, I think supra-aural headphones just aren't for you.

I also own the HD25s, and there is no way they could be more comfortable than the ESW9s, which are one of the most comfortable supra-aural headphones I've worn. You also said the HD25s' build quality is crap, yet you then said they are durable...what's up with that? Please clarify.

And even though you're comparing the HD25s and ESW9s, two supra-aural headphones, you're looking for "the supra-boobla-joo kind that goes around your ears instead of resting on top of them." There is no way those headphones (especially the HD25s) can encircle a human's ears completely, without pressing on the pinna. It is not humanly possible.

Bottom line: you should be looking for a totally different headphone: one that is circum-aural, not supra-aural, made of rugged materials like metal and plastic, as opposed to fragile wood and leather, and is collapsible for better portability. Well, or you could just wear a hat over your IEMs.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 21

Quote:

I am actually quite surprised by this statement. The HD25-1 II is the most beautiful portable headphone that I have ever heard, in my opinion.

But anyway, to reply to the question at hand... as many has noted, neither of those earphones will keep your ears warm unfortunately. So, I'll just suggest what I do when the weather is freaking cold. I wear a pair of IEM then I wear my old Skullcandy GI headphones (wires are now completely severed off of the headphone) because the clamping force is nice and tight. It is also the only headphone that I have tested that actually makes my ears sweat like crap. That way, I get very nice music and keep my ears warm. Unfortunately, my method does press the wires against my jawbone a little bit though.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 21
I've been using my hd25 and es10 (similar to the esw9) on the way to work and recently it's been snowing/sub-zero temps.

They definitely do keep my ears warm (maybe I have small ears) and do a better job than the IEM/hat combo. Obviously, the winter hat is better for overall head warmth, but my ears are still freezing even with the hat on.

As other people have said, both those headphones are on ear.

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 21
HD25 are built to last, but at the same time the materials are awfully plastic and not nice in touch at all. The cups are small. The headphones look like badly designed g-shock watch, to last but not to look at - I am into aesthetics too much to like them.

As for sound they are shap like knives and hurt my ears after listening to the nice and brightish sound of ESW9s.

Quote:
A

Hi, when u say horrible, do u mean the sound, build, or like everything? I'm afraid at below freezing point the temperature and snow is goIng to destroy the wood.

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
HD25 are built to last, but at the same time the materials are awfully plastic and not nice in touch at all. The cups are small. The headphones look like badly designed g-shock watch, to last but not to look at - I am into aesthetics too much to like them.

As for sound they are shap like knives and hurt my ears after listening to the nice and brightish sound of ESW9s.

Quote:
A

... man, how true they say everyone do hear differently!
eek.gif

But then, I am huge fan of bright headphones/earphones

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #12 of 21

Did you buy the esw9?
How fo you like it?
Quote:
although the esw9 are on the ears, they cover most of your ears if not all.  I have pretty big ears and they cover most of it although sitting on the top of them.

Yggdrassillious: I'm curious about how they hold up against snow too, although it doesn't really snow where I'm at.
frown.gif
  My guess is probable not a good idea.  They just look so delicate.  To me that is the main flaw of these cans.

As far as comfort,  at first I though they were uncomfortable also, but then I start messing around with adjusting the headband.  I finally find what makes it more comfortable for me.  I just adjust the band to be longer and sit lower on my ears therefore loosening up the clamp force.  The headband is soft enough and light that I'm not concern about down force.  Plus I made sure the cup are positioned correctly on my ears.  Now I can wear them for hours without discomfort.

Quote:
The esw9 and the HD 25 are more on ears than over ears, so they wont do a very good job at keeping your ears warm.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #13 of 21
I keep my ears nice and warm with my HD25's with velour pads.
Never tried the ESW9, but few cans match the HD25's durability and ergonomics. And I love the sound, even with my HD600s and RS1's lying next to me.
I'll NEVER sell it 
smile_phones.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #14 of 21

mcnoiserdc: If you are talking to me,  I like them a lot.  The sound they produce are truly sweet and airy compare to the M50.  I like them over my M50 due to the fact that the mids are more forward.  Although the mids on the M50 didn't bother me until I receive the esw9.  The bass surprising can go pretty deep and punchy, although for some reason as a whole the headphone lacks excitement.  Not a bad way, but I often question if I would crave that excitement if the esw9 were my only headphones in long term use.  It might be still too early for me to completely judge them as I haven't really put a whole lot of hours on them.  I would like the bass on them to be slightly more tight...this probable could be solve with an amp which I lack.  Overall, they are a great headphone.

The esw9 performance is better than what I expected from such a little fella. They are a whole lot more comfortable than I expected coming from the es7.

The only thing that bother me about them is maybe durability.  I'm afraid I might break them from constantly swiveling the cup when in use and not in use.  Part of the paranoia might come from post of people breaking them.  The other part is scratching the cups.  They just seem delicate, but I don't know for sure.

I'm also about to receive the Denon D2000, I'll see how they hold up against them unamped.  My original plan was to get the esw9 or the Denon D2000, but I'm not sure if the esw9 would complete replace the M50. I'm hoping the denon can replace the M50.
Quote:
Did you buy the esw9?
How fo you like it?
Quote:

frown.gif

Quote:

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
or you could just wear a hat over your IEMs.

x2.  that's the best way to go in the winter.   i'd be afraid to wear any good cans outside, for fear of rain/snow ruining them.   or the cold, i don't know if that can have any negative effects on headphones, maybe in very cold temps.
confused_face.gif
    but iems + beanie has worked well for me, and if it's really cold i'd throw on a mask.
biggrin.gif

ps.  i like the skullcandy cans over iems idea.   finally they're good for something, earmuffs!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back