Essential headphone structure for bassheads
Jul 6, 2010 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Jabse

100+ Head-Fier
Reasonable cup size, bass ports.
I use a beyer dt770/80 ampd with eq which offers DEAFENING amounts of bass and i decided to block out one of the bass pots and the bass significantly deformed sounding masked, blunt, bass extension hit rock bottom, it became dull quantity reduced.This wasn't a surprise but it got me wondering how other famous bass headphones like pro 900 manage without ANY bass ports or air vents etc
If you get the dt770 to its maximum potential you will hear a bass thats very similar to that of a high end subwoofer. Having a reasonable cup size which allows air can travel around + the bass ports results in a very similar structure to a real subwoofer which seems logical but i don't see the logic in a small cup and no bass port, i can simply assume its not made for bassheads..

I do realize sealed subwoofers offer a more defined tighter bass and ported ones can produce louder, lower frequencies but for headphones, as a basshead i don't think sealed would cut it for me at all, it doesnt sound natural like a subwoofer, it has less quantity and doesnt go as low either.

This should also only concern bassheads which prefer deep subwoofer-like headphone bass.

Any true bassheads(yes EQin is a must!) around here with a pair of bass heavy Ultrasones or similar structure? what are your impressions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back