ESMOOTH - Gorgeous headphones...
Apr 18, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #91 of 143
I'm interested on any  of the 8*. They seem big enough to work ok as fosterfones.

... and being shipped from under my bed that sould make them cheap and fast :)

Aemm...  I've just seen the "in a few months" thing. How few?
Or is there anybody else having an ES8* to sell shipped to UK or willing to organise a group buy in EU?

mreinard... do you know the diamter of the drivers in the ES881EB?

A

Quote:
Okay, so I'll be ordering the ES881CW, ES881EB, ES880EB, ES828, ES820RS, ES821CW, ES620EB, and ES610 in a few months. Anyone happen to wanna buy off what I don't want for the price of them + a fraction of shipping? I'll be comparing the different sonic characters of the wood.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #92 of 143

Quote:
I'm interested on any  of the 8*. They seem big enough to work ok as fosterfones.

... and being shipped from under my bed that sould make them cheap and fast :)

Aemm...  I've just seen the "in a few months" thing. How few?
Or is there anybody else having an ES8* to sell shipped to UK or willing to organise a group buy in EU?

mreinard... do you know the diamter of the drivers in the ES881EB?

A

Depends on money flow. Probably summer though...

And haha! I just got the "under my bed" thing. Geez I totally forgot about that. I'm in the US for those who are interested.

Apr 19, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #94 of 143

Thanks mrenard. This means they can be used with sfi capsules using the provided baffle.
I've to say that respect every single custom wooden cup created by the ortho team's members these headphones look cheap; but that guys' stuff surpasses every commercial thing I've seen so far for any money. Money can only buy you tools but passion and  skill have the longest legs and greatest power.

Ishcabible, I'm in UK and the HK->US->UK shipment sounds a bit inefficient and ecologically unhetical.

yomomma1, as I think I live in "the thick of it" myself and you claim to be in UK, is there any chanche you live in London as I do? You launched the idea of a group buy in UK so it seems we are two in this. Anybody else of Albionic residence is interested? Also when you where referring to 20BP shipment from GD Audio, I didn't get for what and what they are. It sounds like it should have to do with these very headphones (ES8*) but can you please confirm or otherwise this?

mrenard... have a look at ishcabible's location
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
A

Quote:
"mrenard... do you know the diameter of the drivers in the ES881EB?"

Yes, it's 40 mm.

I don't get the "under the bed" thing?

Regards

Mike

May 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #97 of 143

On this side of the world (UK) most people will be off for the long weekend (4 days) trying to escape the royal collective nonsensical hysteria and enjoying the way more royal sun shining all over the Country.
I'm essentially waiting for the coming week to see whether my call for a London group buy gets any following. I've other cans projects in my pipeline so I'm not in particular hurry.

May 13, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #98 of 143
Esmooth sent Mrenard and me some samples. I got the ES610 (which are actually Mrenard's pair I think. Thanks!), ES530 IEM's, and ES360. I'll post more about them later, but I'm really liking the entire lot. The ES610 needs some body, but that is probably fixable.

May 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #99 of 143
Hi,

Esmooth just sent me a few more iem's and headphones to try out.

The first ones I tried were a pair of ES610 EB's (ebony - the ES610's I tried before and sent to Ishcabible, were 610 BB's, bamboo!).

Straight off they sound better, clearer, fuller bass. I think because ebony is just a better material. Then Ishcabible suggested making holes in the fabric at the back of the driver, so I made 4 holes in each, and that made a big difference too. SO for the price (now down to abt USD 13 each) they are pretty good, nice and light, beautifully made, and rather good balanced sound.

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #101 of 143
I've been listening to my eSmooth headphones for a while now and I must say, they're really freakin good for the price.

The ES360 mostly balanced, but there is a slight accentuation of the bass and treble, with the obvious recession of the mids. Bass is a trifle uncontrolled at times, but thothin major. Treble is very nondescript. It's far from harsh, but not what I'd call smooth. Mids, while recessed and a bit thin, are much better than the MEElectronics M21 in that respect. The tonal balance is surprisingly good for its MSRP. Heck, better than any other <$50 IEM I've heard so far. (I haven't heard nearly as much as Joker, but this is not bad at all!) Detail is great as well. I wonder what companies OEM this. The cable is pretty good, and so is the build quality. They look like a Bang and Olufsen A8 in wooden IEM form.

The ES610 was one I had to mod. The bamboo housing was very far from ideal because it's so porous, so mrenard attempted to help the situation by sticking some dynamat in the cups. I haven't heard them stock, but even then, the sound was very thin, so I poked a  couple holes in the back of the driver to increase airflow and bass. The result was a slightly airier sound, and the sound gained a ton of body. Mids were lush, bass was much punchier, and treble was smoothened out. Not to allude that the treble is smooth, but before the mod, they were almost harsh to my ears. Detail is decent, soundstage is small, and tonal balance is okay. It's much more colored than the ES360 after the mod though.

The ES530 was a bit of a disappointment, but there was a channel imbalance from the start (
frown.gif
). The sound is decidedly bassy. It's very mushy bass though. The mids are very recessed, lacking in good tone, and treble was a bit under neutral. It's a bit unfair to talk about the sound though because they're faulty...

Big thanks to mrenard!

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #104 of 143
Some further comments on the esmooth headphones - to add to Irascabible's comments on the ES 360's -

I generally do not find iem's to be comfortable, but these are. And the sound is really good for the price. I find myself using them more and more when flying around, simply because they are small and easy to carry, with good sound isolation. (I also have a pair of ES-320s's which do not sound good to me, and are very uncomfortable - but I think that's just the shape of my ears).

They are also rather beautifully made. In addition I find they make my little Sansa clip sound quite good!

I have for some time been trying to persuade esmooth to try putting Fostex ortho drivers into their wooden headphones and will let you know if it ever happens...

Aug 9, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #105 of 143

Quote:
I have for some time been trying to persuade esmooth to try putting Fostex ortho drivers into their wooden headphones and will let you know if it ever happens...

I'll help. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back