ESMOOTH - Gorgeous headphones...
Mar 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #61 of 143

Quote:
Interesting..

Thing to note, bamboo in Asia is cheap, so it being made from real bamboo isn't really a selling point.

I remembered something about bamboo's sonic quality being poor when compared to mdr whilst researching A5 speakers. Apparently, bamboo isn't a good material to use if you like bass. Something abt the wood being porous?

Anyways from the mini reviews, this would be consistent with what I found.

+1 pretty daughter =X

mdr?

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #62 of 143
He COULD mean MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard) used in speaker construction?

I don't think though that using wood significantly affects the cost of these headphones, afterall it is only a small amount. I think rather that the wood adds to the aesthetic appeal, and perhaps improves, or certainly has some affect, on the sound.

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #64 of 143

Quote:
my apologies typo error! yes mdf.

and i'm sure you'll find from the grado mod threads that all the different kinds of wood and aluminum housings do make a difference.

have what you will.. just sharing my findings of the poor sonic qualities of bamboo.

good luck

Forgot that bamboo is really porous. The SFI drivers are 38mm, but I think they basically need a hardwood cup to get nice bass, so these are probably out, unless you really damp the cups.

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #65 of 143
Not sure how much problem the porosity is - the cups are well sealed and varnished. In any case the leakage around the baffles would surely be a bigger problem.

The low density of the bamboo may well be a problem - and that is maybe what you are referring to?

Anyway I agree that damping is required, and I have done so, as well as suggested it to manufacturers.

They have written back and said:

[size=10.0pt]Thanks for your comments & the constructive suggestions  to our Headphones,We will read it carefully,and your comments will also be adopted for our R & D Dept guys for their coming design works; and  This will also help us to improve our headphone's details soon ! Yes,we Still need to improve our Headphones  for its Bass Sound quality, producing craftworks and appearance and many details etc . Hoping our headphones will be aggressive with its Unique features & Sound Quality in the sales market soon.! and hoping our headphones will satisfy all the consumers.( : after we make some improvement.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]We'll see if this is sincere.

[/size]

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #66 of 143
The bigger headphones - ES881 EB - sorry you have to put up with my youngest son this time!

They are very pretty, and rather comfortable - don't exert too much pressure on my (big) head. They are still burning in, and the sound is improving.

So far we think they sound - "okay".

More after the weekend.

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #68 of 143

Quote:
Not sure how much problem the porosity is - the cups are well sealed and varnished. In any case the leakage around the baffles would surely be a bigger problem.

The low density of the bamboo may well be a problem - and that is maybe what you are referring to?

Anyway I agree that damping is required, and I have done so, as well as suggested it to manufacturers.

They have written back and said:

[size=10.0pt]Thanks for your comments & the constructive suggestions  to our Headphones,We will read it carefully,and your comments will also be adopted for our R & D Dept guys for their coming design works; and  This will also help us to improve our headphone's details soon ! Yes,we Still need to improve our Headphones  for its Bass Sound quality, producing craftworks and appearance and many details etc . Hoping our headphones will be aggressive with its Unique features & Sound Quality in the sales market soon.! and hoping our headphones will satisfy all the consumers.( : after we make some improvement.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]We'll see if this is sincere.

[/size]

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to, and they haven't replied back to me, and I sent them two emails.
frown.gif

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #69 of 143
Yeah, must be something about me that they like, sigh!

If you pm me your email address, I will try to find out why they don't reply to you.

One thing I know, the sales guy I initially dealt with - called "Xylose Wong" -  is currently on vacation.

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #70 of 143
Well I have emailed them to ask for a price on a few different sets to test. I am really interested to know what drivers can be put in them.I know Bilavideo has a s&^% load of drivers and if I get some Esmooths then I will contact him to ask his opinion in modding, though I think he has 40mm drivers so may be a tight squeeze? Could always bore out the wood :wink: IF the decide to send me some cans at the right price then I'll post some pics and hopefully do some mods and see what can be done. If anyone has any suggestions on doner drivers then please say

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #71 of 143
I have a price list from them:

ES81, 880, usd 45 each
ES 830, 821, 820, usd 30 each
ES 610 usd 25 each

all earbuds usd 13

So it's all dependent on what they charge for shipping - seems the standard is abt 45 - 50 dollars.

I would love to try Fostex drivers in the ES 881's, but I am rather fond of my Fostex T50 RP Mods and don't want to inactivate them, also I am finding the constantly improving smooth, warm sound of the ES 881's rather relaxing.

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #73 of 143
Never got a reply to my email either.  Not sure I want to even consider them.  I'll try another email in a few days then call it quits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back